Crossbow help please

vinemack

;) Looking to by a used crossbow and not sure what to look for l have seen one that called the Fireforce Manufacturer:Great Lakes Crossbows Compound / Recurve:Compound Draw weight lbs:165 lbs Weight kg:3,4 kg Powerstroke inches:13.50 Inch Teflon impregnated:Yes Dryfire protection:Yes Hollow machined track:Yes Number of limbs:4 CNC machined riser:Yes Sight base included:Yes Length incl. stirrup:35.04 Inch Bowstring material:DynaFlight Country:USA Trigger savety:Yes Trigger savety autom:No Withdrawal force N:735,75 N Overall width:28.74 Inch Dampening system:No Length without stirrup:31.30 Inch Loudness (tendency):leise Triggersystem:--- String and cablesystem:uniform Total mass lbs:7.5 l Arrow speed standard 506 grain fps:282 Minimalarrow 432 grain fps:305 2 YEAR OLD

Is this a good crossbow l have never had one before not good with a bow but would like to do a little more deer hunting this coming year have gone with shot gun only

That was a very complex read. It's a device that propels arrows to a target within an acceptable range. Getting the deer within that range one very important thing. Having a bow that can send that arrow through the animal and is consistent is just as important.

The reason I got an Excalibur is it is very simple. I had a Jennings compound and the timing was just a tad off. At 30 yards I could group a 6 inch circle but I'd have to move my site considerably for a 5 yard difference. The Excalibur has no pulleys or cables to stretch, its light weight, accurate and powerful. The thumb hole comes in very handy to but once you've used something else, you gotta retrain yourself to habitually put on the safety after co cking.

Watch out for that dry fire protection. If you don't take a shot, its difficult to let it off once you take the arrow out. Also play with the safety in the store. I had a very nice Hortan in my hands but the safety clicked so bloody loud. Even when you went really slow.

Another thing, make sure the bow fits your arm. I wanted the big excaliber but the guy at the sportsman show fitted me up with the vortex and I'm glad he suggested it. When your holding your arm a little too far out trying not to shake while this deer is staring straight at you, sometimes an inch can save you days of burning sensation in your neck and forearm.

Personally I trust our local salespeople and would ask them what they think is a good fit for you. Erie Tracker and Mackies both give a dam that you don't go out hunting like a weekend warrior so they'll do their best to hook you up with a bow that suits you. Hell bring your bow in and pay them to help you site it in for the first time. They may find flaws that will save you allot of money and anguish.

Sorry I am not familiar with the bow you have. Wish I could help more. ;)

Vinemack,

Great Lakes crossbows are made by Darton. Mackies Mountain Archery in Beamsville is a Great Lakes dealer. Drop Bob Mackie a line, I'm sure he'll be glad to tell you anything he knows about that model.

(905) 563-5853

info@mackiesarchery.com

www.mackiesarchery.com

Cheers,

Ninepointer

Archived