Niagara River Rescue

scottydog

Hey guys: Went for a walk today with Girlfriend and my three year old beagle dog. We where to walk along upper river near the mouth across from the Old Fort. My dog, Norton, jumped over a stone wall into the river. The poor dog couldn't get out of the water. He became very cold quickly. Tried lifting him out of the water by his collor, but could not. I had no alternative but to jump in. Man.....was that frigging cold. Finally, my girlfriend, Ingrid, helped get both of us out of the river. Dog was extremly cold and frightened. As well I was frightened also. We got Norton home and warm. And, Ingrid helped me get warm.

Good fishing...

Scottydog

Guest dannyboy

Glad to hear you are both OK, cold water can suck the energy out of you in seconds. I hope you and Norton both learned a lesson.

When life guarding I did a cold water survival course, half the class couldn't lift them selves out of the ice water tank after 2 minutes.

Dan

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

Glad to hear all are will,scarey sh** falling into the water at this time of year. Now... I would like to know DETAILS of how Ingrid got you warm :Gonefishing:

Guest bigfish1965

I would certainly jump in for my dog.

ibleedcanadian and myself were involved in a dog rescue last summer in Dalhousie when an older BIG dog fell off the pier. Dogs are very heavy when wet!

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
Sorry Brian: This is a family board. Don't want to see it closed.  :Gonefishing:

Good fishing. Scottydog

10843[/snapback]

RATS!!!

Lets not forget that 99% of the time a dog will find he's own way out of the water,chances are someone going in after the dog will not survive. We hear it every winter where a dog has broken through the ice and his master went in after him,only to find the dog made it's way out,and the local FD is searching for his masters body.

With that said,I would probably do the same thing!

I would certainly jump in for my dog.

ibleedcanadian and myself were involved in a dog rescue last summer in Dalhousie when an older BIG dog fell off the pier. Dogs are very heavy when wet!

10844[/snapback]

heh that wasnt a dog

twas a bear!

nice alaskain something so it had the super heavy fur coat.

id be willing to bet it was only 15 pounds of dog but 100 pounds of hair.

Thanks guys but this is something I would do for all dogs. They are great friends. The personalty of this dog is something special. Take care of people and pets near the water. It is cold. Hard to fight current. Almost lost the little bugger, Norton. Some dangerous water with current near mouth. You slip in you could go along way into the current and thats deadly. Be safe out there. Spring is soon. Good fishing. Scottydog

Archived