Ice Fishing Feb 26th

Guest Big Bass Rich

Guest Big Bass Rich

Well first we headed to Old Cut at Long Point Bay for some perch action. Spent roguhly 3 hours there, met up with a lot of nice guys but they were all disappointed in the lack of Simswiches! I ran out of Peanut Butter, what can I say?? Sorry guys!! lol

Only ended up with two perch there, both too small to keep (but kept one which swallowed the hook deep).

So with that slow fishing and jack frost beginning to nip at our toes, Sleded and I packed up and headed to a pond pretty much in our own backyards that we have never tried for ice fishing. Within a few minutes I had a couple of these up through the holes!

050716.jpg

Then Sleded caught a couple the same size, these were big crappie - we're talkin 10-12 inchers which are pretty nice sized. Then all the sudden Sleded hooks into one of the biggest crappies I've ever seen up close, the biggest of his life - a 15 incher that had to weigh a pound! Look at him in comparison to an 11 incher

050717.jpg

That wasn't all for surprises, I see my second rod getting hammered, run over and realize immediately this is no crappie. Sleded grabs his gaff because we know it's a pike, his gaff falls apart, LOL but luckily the pike pretty much shot himself straight out the hole and onto the ice! Just a little guy but perfect eating size.

(Fooled around with the image editor, lol check out the psychadelic background!)

050718.jpg

Ended up with 6 of those meaty crappies and the pike. Definitely a great day on the ice.

Guest mikalerler

Nicely done!

I've been going up to Valens Cons. area and Puslinch Lake almost weekly and have not caught anything close to that size!

Thats great, thanks for the report, and good luck next time. :rolleyes:

Guest Big Bass Rich

All of the "smaller" ones (wow I've never called 11 inch crappies small!) were caught on live minnows, as well as the pike. But the monster crappie was caught on Sleded's 1 inch white grub/1/32 oz pink jighead combo. I think he tipped it with a maggot but I'm not sure.

All of the "smaller" ones (wow I've never called 11 inch crappies small!) were caught on live minnows, as well as the pike. But the monster crappie was caught on Sleded's 1 inch white grub/1/32 oz pink jighead combo. I think he tipped it with a maggot but I'm not sure.

10963[/snapback]

Yep she sure was tiped with a maggot! Who said brown dead maggots dont work. Maggots are the best panfish scent ever!!

sleded

Guest Jeetmuck

WTG guys, Sounds like an awesome time and man that Slab is a beauty. Thanks for the pics, it's always good to get motivated after looking at everyone else's catches. Now I gotta go and replace my digital camera after I left it behind at 50 point.

Archived