NWPA it's back

jedi jeffi

I talked to Dr. Bob Bailey (http://www.deltawaterfowl.org/pr/staff/bailey.php) today and he has given me a letter we can forward to show concern is not just from the paddle people playing chicken little.

If you have any more groups make sure they contact the Ispeakforcanadianrivers site or his so we have lots of back up and support.

Send it to everyone and anyone who has anything to do with watersheds or enviro protection.

Find out if your club or Provincial body is involved and ask what to do!

We need more than numbers we need a lot of really excited people.

And if a semi old guy who is only a mail carrier can do it why not you.

I've got 41 years of passion in this and we need help!!!!!

Jeff McColl

If you want to argue with me email me jedi_jeffi@hotmail.com

Time is short and there is alot of groups to reach out to.

http://www.ispeakforcanadianrivers.ca

Specific mention in the Budget Tabled Jan 2009, pages 143 & 144

http://www.budget.gc.ca/2009/pdf/budget-pl...getaire-eng.pdf

And the argument that the NWPA delays infrastructure money…

Too bad they didn’t mention the rules of the Canada Building Fund that the Mayors of Canada and Premiers of Canada said where the real red tape in stopping funds flowing to the cities.

Via Email:

Jeff McColl

Wilderness Canoe Association

Dear Jeff,

Thanks for your request for information on the Canadian Outdoor Network’s response to proposed changes to the Navigable Waters Act.

The Canadian Outdoor Network is a coalition of 25 major hunting, fishing, trapping and shooting sports organizations across Canada, representing approximately 500,000 members, supporters and other outdoor enthusiasts. But more importantly, our network partners are the voice of more than 10 million hunters, anglers, trappers and shooting sports enthusiasts who look to our organizations to represent their interests on issues impacting upon the outdoor community, fish, wildlife and the environment.

On November 24, outdoor network groups forwarded a letter to Minister John Baird to express our collective concern over proposed amendments to the Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA). We believe these proposals will have far- reaching impacts on the abilities of hunters, anglers and trappers to access traditional hunting, fishing and trapping areas. We also believe the changes proposed could severely impact fish and wildlife populations, as well as riparian and wetland environments.

On February 5, 2009, the outdoors network held a teleconference to update the status of the NWPA, and to consider further steps. We are gathering more information on the proposed changes and the potential impacts on access, fish and wildlife resources and the environment. I would urge you to contact provincial and regional organizations within the network, to share information and to discuss any potential cooperative actions on this issue. I have provided the names of our coalition partners below.

I appreciate and encourage your interest and support on this important issue for outdoor enthusiasts and the environment.

Yours truly,

Dr. Robert O. Bailey

National Coordinator

Canadian Outdoors Network

CANADIAN OUTDOORS NETWORK

Alberta Fish and Game Association

Alberta Outdoors Coalition

BC Wildlife Federation

BCWF Political Action Alliance

Canadian Institute for Legislative Action

Canadian Section of the Wildlife Society

Canadian Shooting Sports Association

Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association

Delta Waterfowl Foundation

Fédération Québecoise des Chasseurs et Pecheurs

Fur Institute of Canada

Friends of Fur

Hunting for Tomorrow Foundation

Long Point Waterfowl

Manitoba Wildlife Federation

National Wild Turkey Federation

New Brunswick Wildlife Federation

Newfoundland and Labrador Wildlife Federation

Nova Scotia Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Prince Edward Island Chapter Delta Waterfowl

Prince Edward Island Trappers Association

Prince Edward Island Wildlife Federation

Ruffed Grouse Society

Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation

Wildlife Habitat Canada

On Friday we received this Quote

” URGENT ALERT

Friday February 6, 2009

GOVERNMENT INTRODUCED NWPA AND OTHER CHANGES TODAY UNDER ITS BUDGET IMPLEMENTATION ACT

Under the guise of the 2009 Budget Implementation Act, the federal government has introduced amendments to the Navigable Waters Protection Act (NWPA) that will have serious negative impacts on both the ancient public right of navigation in Canada and on the environment.

The NWPA mandates that, if someone wants to build something in, on, around, under, or over a navigable waterway, an assessment of the impacts on navigation and an environmental assessment need to be done first.

The NWPA was originally enacted in 1882. It is one of Canada’s oldest pieces of legislation, and there is no doubt that it needs to be modernized—however, in the name of “cutting red tape” to speed up the building of infrastructure projects and stimulate the economy, the government is introducing changes that will remove navigable status from thousands of waterways in Canada.

These changes were recommended by a committee that did not consult Canada’s paddling community, the outdoor tourism industry, environmental groups, First Nations communities, anglers and hunters, or anyone who accesses Canadian waterways for business or recreation.

The heritage right of navigation predates confederation, and Canadians consistently rank the environment as one of their top issues of concern.

These changes to the NWPA are simply unacceptable.

There is something you can do—raise your voice! Spread the word, and tell the government you care about Canada’s waterways. For more information and how to take action, please see www.ispeakforrivers.ca .” unquote.

Archived