Burt Damn, Olcott, Wilson, Tuscarora

Guest perchmaster

Guest perchmaster

Visited niagara county this weekend. started early at Burt Damn...NOT A BITE... i sat there in the cold for 2 hours, and me and the 30 other people there caught nothing. the water is open from the damn to the tressle...but nobody got nothing when i was there on a variety of baits and poles... olcott harbor and pier isnt really fishable right now, lots of ice chunks...however tuscarora had 8-10 inches of ice. not a bite there either. the wilson harbor really isnt fishable right now either, and this weeks weather doesnt look like the perch are going to be in there at least the big jacks for another month.

Guest JesseJames

Hey perchmaster nice report. I'm not to familer with your locations mentioned. Would you mind PMing me with some more info on it. I too love the perch bite.Thanks

unclejuicee@hotmail.com

JJ

Guest perchmaster

burt damn is on route 78 in niagara county... you take transit road all the way basically... through lockport... follow the 78 signs until you see the damn .. olcott harbor is 2 minutes up the road from burt damn... great perch spot in the fall... but wilson harbor is amazing... ive caught 3 pound perch out of there... wilson is 10 minutes down the route 18 from olcott.

I hope more Americans start posting here. I'd like to make good use of my NY State fishing license.

I would love to see more American posters here as well. When I started this site I tried to get an even mix of U.S. and Canadian members on the board but for whatever reason it turns out that there is roughly 80% Canucks on here over the rest of the planet. Here is the stats as of this writing;

1. Canada 206874 83.4 %

2. United States 39819 16.1 %

3. United Kingdom 82 0.0 %

4. Japan 35 0.0 %

5. France 16 0.0 %

6. Serbia and Montenegro 14 0.0 %

7. Australia 7 0.0 %

8. Singapore 6 0.0 %

9. Puerto Rico 5 0.0 %

10. Netherlands, The 5 0.0 %

Unknown 1103 0.4 %

The rest 57 0.0 %

Total 248023 100.0 %

Tommy,

the fishing at Olcott and Wilson (both have piers) is great in the spring and early summer. Perch like crazy up until late may both in the harbors and off the piers. You can also catch trout and salmon off the piers till about the same time. The fishing picks up again in the fall. Olcott used to have unbelievable fall king runs that we used to fish for at night off the piers. That seemed to dissapear in the mid 90's due to changes in stocking/hatchery practices, but will hopefully return in the next couple of years with the return of Kings reared atthe Caledonia Hatchery and our pen rearing project that is kicking off this spring in Olcott Harbor. I have been fishing the Olcott Piers (mostly the west pier) since 87 or so and man, you wouldn't believe the salmon we used to catch out there from Late August til late October. According to my logs, the fall of 1992 (I was laid off all that fall and out ther 4-5 nites a week) I caught over 400 kings in that 2 month period, and that's fish that were landed, it doesn't include the lost ones. hooking up with 8-10 fish in a night was typical, with many nights in the high teens. That all changed after 1994 and the fish all stated coming out of the Salmon River hatchery, either they weren't imprinting properly or they just weren't surviving, but in the late 90's I actually went two seasons without hooking up with a fish all fall off that pier. It has been to the point that I seldom bother going out there anymore in the fall.

Like I said, with the new programs in place I am looking forward to that changing back to the way it used to be. I caught my biggest king to date off the Olcott west pier in 1993, a 38 lb male brute that slammed a glow cleo at about 3:00 am. I had 350 yds of 8 lb mono on that reel and by the time I stopped him, ther ewere 6 wraps of line left on the bottom of the spool.

But anyways, the perch also move back into the harbor in the fall, we do will on them right in the marina once the boats come out in late october and november. I haven't fished wilson as much, but have done well there as well when I have been there.

I can get you more specifics if you'd like.

Tim

Archived