Float Fishing

Guest Eyelike2fish

Guest Eyelike2fish

I have noticed fishing around here that not many people use baitcasters for float fishing. I see lots of float reels or center pins and some spinning reels but not many using baitcasters. Out West I found that most people use baitcasters. With a baitcaster you have great line control thumbing the spool and then just clamping down with your thumb to set the hook. I was just curious because I use them all the time as do others but not around here. What do you use for float fishing?

Steve

Guest Gill Finigan

Think it's just one of them regional things. It takes time to spread around. Lots of technics start in one area and slowly spread. Now with the super free spool baitcasters, they spin as free as a float reel. The west coast usually starts the trends in salmon and trout fishing and it works it's way east to us.

I have noticed fishing around here that not many people use baitcasters for float fishing. I see lots of float reels or center pins and some spinning reels but not many using baitcasters. Out West I found that most people use baitcasters. With a baitcaster you have great line control thumbing the spool and then just clamping down with your thumb to set the hook. I was just curious because I use them all the time as do others but not around here. What do you use for float fishing?

Steve

11022[/snapback]

Hi steve,

Almost everyone here uses float reels (centre Pins). If you go to the niagra river Whirlpool you will see them with the float reel. Most of them will not use spin cast because the float reel has no drag. They have to use their hand as a drag when fighting the fish.

Some die hard float reel fishermens would insult us spin cast fishermens because they consider it cheating using a reel with a drag. They brag it is real fishing to fight a fish without a drag.

Check this site out. You will see alot of float reels in their pics. Some are only the rod and reel, or just a reel.

http://www.floatfishing.net/

Tight lines Steve,

Last cast

Eyelike2fish

Most steelies around here aren't big enough :blink: You can probally cast farther with the baitcaster but then your usually into heavier gear. Unless your strictly in bigger water or do alot of spoon chucking I think most guys will stick to the pin. I saw your post on the maco site you gonna fish any matches this year?

Guest Eyelike2fish

Hi Denis,

I am signed up for the Guelph match already. This is the first match for MACO this year. I have been in contact with Andrew and with Peter regarding MACO. Are you a MACO member and do you fish any matches? If you do send me an email so we can talk.

Steve

Eyelike2fish

Been a member for 2 years now and it seems to be getting better every year. Guelph is a good venue but depending on the weather it can be pretty tough. For anyone interested in match style fishing check out this link www.matchanglingclub.com

Its definetly a good time out and it's actually not that easy to catch a carp if you don't believe me I'd like to see some of you board members out at the welland canal match lots of room and lots of fish should be interesting. :blink:

i only use my baitcast setup for bottom bouncing and chucking lures, it's way more fun and challenging landing a fish on the pin setup. if you haven't tried the pin don't wait any longer it's so much fun.

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

I agree center pin fishing is the all around most natural presentation you can possibly have with river fishing. but when it is -10 or more i stick to the 36'' icefishing rod . :angry2:

Archived