Spring Salmon

fish for boots

New to this board however it is quite nice and best of all, people do not get their head cut off if they post about another fishing location.

My question is that I'm interested in fishing for spring salmon and I heard that the St. Kitts or even Stoney Creek areas are good in the spring. Since I live in Bowmanville (great summer spot), I'm more interested in fishing the west end of the lake for early spring salmon.

What time of the year is best and also what technique (planer boards, downriggers) seem to work best for spring salmon. I heard that body baits work well (typically better than meat) for early springs so any advice would be much appreciated.

The beggining of April is when the Salmon fishing starts. We fish out of Port Dalhousie or Port Weller. Basically we just flat line with big body baits such as the rapala jointed and the big thundersticks. As the month progresses I start using dipsy divers to get down to around 20 to 30 feet. Alot of guys start running downrigger later on. Some guys start trolling with in lines and the big boards right away. It all depends on what you have and how much your willing to work. I run a 6 foot 15 lb flourocarbon leader to my bait and just use 17lb mainline. This is more then adaquete for spring fishing. As for rods and reels. I run Diawa Heatlands 8.5 foot rods and Diawa Sealine reels. For colors I find that brighter colors seem to produce better. I'd also suggest to stay away from any lures that have a hard eratic action. Just a slow tight wobble seems to be more productive. Most fish you'll catch are in the 4 to 15lb range.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson
New to this board however it is quite nice and best of all, people do not get their head cut off if they post about another fishing location.

My question is that I'm interested in fishing for spring salmon and I heard that the St. Kitts or even Stoney Creek areas are good in the spring. Since I live in Bowmanville (great summer spot), I'm more interested in fishing the west end of the lake for early spring salmon.

What time of the year is best and also what technique (planer boards, downriggers) seem to work best for spring salmon. I heard that body baits work well (typically better than meat) for early springs so any advice would be much appreciated.

11077[/snapback]

My first Salmon came 04/03 last year. Then it just got better. Fished all but 1 day in April last year.Lake Trout,the best fishing I had was March last year.

Runners were the perferred bait on my ride.

Check this link,it's a pure trolling board with members from all around L.Ontario.

Spoon Pullers Board

Best Tech. Was inline or off shore boards,with R.R. and Driggers with SD's and what ever , or echip 8" flashers. Fished in the V formation.

Spring time no cutbait,mostly body baits. I didn't use cutbait till August,fishing the outside Bar,to Alcott.

Guest FisherNick

I had some decent luck April last year. I would launch out of 50 point in Grimsby, and drive around until i marked fish. Didnt catch anything huge but for the amount of time I put in the numbers were decent.

Hey Boots......I start at Port D in early April.........then move to the Bar after that........the bar is the best I think............I run 4 big dipsies with watermelon ronoskies...........I let out 50-75 feet of line..........and hang on!!!!!!!!!!!...........20-40 fish are common days...............JHM......

Guest SkeinMachine

We were stilling getting good #'s of silvers into late May last spring.

40-50 fow,between Port D & Weller,next to no boat traffic too :blink:

Again,nothing big,but quality spring fish.

Guest fishmaster

Here is a shot from last may in port weller dureing the Scotty Salmon Tournament .my best baits where Reef Runners , Fast tracks , Renoskis ,Mic Stingers flat line 3 off each board and running 2 riggers .my best day off the bar was 57 Salmon landed between 6 of us ...yes my best day ever salmon fishing had lots of 20 to 30 fish days also ..i can't wait to hit the big pond this spring hopeing to have the boat docked for april 1st weather premiting .Yes i have the SALMON ITCH!!!

051006.jpg

They're about a 5 inch body bait. They make a wide variety of colour variations and even make glow in the dark ones, that charge under a light. Theyre also deadly on pickeral and pike. They sell them at Grimsby tackle.

The Renowsky lure that is mentioned is a body bait. It is actually called the Cristallina made by Renowsky. The bait is about 5-6" in lenght and almost resembles a Bomber long A. The only difference between this bait is that if you look at the lip it is slightly offset . The bait is also offered in a deep diving series, and a glass series. The only thing that i would do to these baits is change the trebles real cheap ones are used. Nice bait for salmon and walleye.

Guest SkeinMachine
ahhhh thanks man.

looks like a Long A

How deep do they run?

11184[/snapback]

Shallow divers Steve,5 ft down tops.

Good off the boards in tight.

H.I.H.

Here is a shot from last may in port weller dureing the Scotty Salmon Tournament .my best baits where  Reef Runners , Fast tracks , Renoskis ,Mic Stingers flat line 3 off each board and running 2 riggers .my best day off the bar was 57 Salmon landed between 6 of us ...yes my best day ever salmon fishing had lots of 20 to 30 fish days also ..i can't wait to hit the big pond this spring hopeing to have the boat docked for april 1st weather premiting .Yes i have the SALMON ITCH!!!

051006.jpg

11118[/snapback]

i have a couple questions. what size mic stringers r u using in april and how far back from the boards r u running and what does a fast track look like? sorry so many questions but your lure selection caught my eye renoskis and reef runners were good to me last spring but ive never used spoons that early im new in salmon scene

Thanks a lot for all the input all - I heard fishing was good but I never imagined that it would as good as what's been posted. Guess I'll have a new spring hobby as opposed to river fishing rainbows (since I live in God's country for rainbows).

Also good to see some familiar names from other sites......

Guest FIN "S" FISHER

Ahhhhhhhh yes the spring salmon run I love it . last year was the best yr. I ever had even got a late start on it and still managed to do very well.

gotta love it, just around the corner.

Archived