Later Niagara Musky Season?

Guest Aaron Shirley

Guest Aaron Shirley

I would like to know what everyone thinks about a possible later open season for musky on the Niagara River ecosystem. Please read the following before posting your ballot:

I am personally in agreement of a later musky season on the Niagara River watershed. The main reason being to protect spawning and post-spawn female muskies. These fish are the broad stock for future generations of muskies. Although I believe that the Niagara Musky population is fairly healthy, we have to protect what we have. I believe that it would be selfish of us to fish for spawning muskies. We have the entire season to fish. Although everyone is anxious to get on the water, letting the muskies complete propagation and recuperate is imperative to the future health of the fishery.

Many years that I have fished on opening day (current open season is on the third Sat. in June), I have witnessed spawning muskies, and post-spawn muskies that appear exhausted wandering close to weed edges in shallow. These large females need to eat to replenish important nourishment after the rigors of the spawning process, not be harassed and fought to further exhaustion from anglers. Many water sheds like the Kawartha chain of lakes warm up much more quickly than the Niagara River ecosystem. The Niagara River watershed takes a very long time to warm, and as a result, the calendar time frame is much later for spawning fish.

If there is any time of year to protect the muskies in the Niagara River watershed, it is the time frame around the spawning period.

What do you think of a later open season like the last Saturday in June or July 1st for muskies on the Niagara River to help protect big female muskies?

Since this is an important issue, only one poll should be active so as not to compromise the results. I would really like all of your opinions on this important and sensitive matter. You can vote at the link provided, and you do not have to register to vote. Your input would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Please follow this link to vote:

Vote Here

Guest chilli

I think it's a sensible explanation for the question. Not only is it proactive but it shows the anti's that we do care enough to put restrictions on ourselves when it actually make sense. There are alot of seasons I don't understand like the spearing of pike while they are spawning. Why not later in the year? :blink: I think it's really something coming from a charter who stands to lose from a shorter season to bring this forward.

I'm looking forward to the other side of the story though. I'll wait to vote until we get more reply's. Always good to look at both sides of the fence before hopping off. ;)

Guest Brad_c

I agree with this regulation change also... muskies have a hard enough time as it is during that time of year and it makes it harder for them to survive cause they are born a few weeks after pike have hatched, that means muskie fry are preyed upon by pike... not that this would change lol, but i agree with giving muskies more time to recover...

brad_c

Guest Aaron Shirley

It's good to hear that most people support this possitive change. The muskies have a lot working against them. Hopefully the OMNR will consider this proposal to help the Niagara muskies. I will keep you all informed.

Cheers,

Aaron

I agree with this regulation change also... muskies have a hard enough time as it is during that time of year and it makes it harder for them to survive cause they are born a few weeks after pike have hatched, that means muskie fry are preyed upon by pike... not that this would change lol, but i agree with giving muskies more time to recover...

brad_c

11111[/snapback]

Guest Big Bass Rich

Now I can't make a decision on this as I'm not from the area. It sounds sensible enough to me, but will one week really make a big difference?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived