Harper's speech to OFHA

Well good thing I looked for info of the speech Saturday night, because the quote on the Toronto Star site disappeared in the morning and was not on any of Tor Star paper chain.

I did find it on CBC

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/03/21/...n-registry.html

The Quote “Harper received applause as he told the group Ottawa is currently reviewing the Federation's "positive" proposal for legislation that recognizes Canada's recreational hunting and angling heritage enshrines their rights and responsibilities."unquote

Then later on CTV a report where PM Harper’s spokesperson is quoted saying the government would not support the private members bill 301for abolishing the long gun registry put forward by Conservative MP Gary Breitkreuz

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/gun-registry/#clip152679

The speech is there.

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/gun-registry/#clip152623

http://watch.ctv.ca/news/latest/gun-registry/

The good news is that at least he mentioned it, but he may be trying to drive a wedge between the groups that fought against the NWPA changes.

And his record has shown that he has always said he is against the gun registry but has done nothing to really fix the situation.

And we can always use his words against him. Anyone can say things; it is the ones that will actually do something we need to find.

Jeff

PS I would really like to know who is squeezing the main stream presses private parts in this NWPA/access rights issue, there where just a few bits here and there and nothing big until after the Senate voted to accept the budget.

If this issue was important enough that it had to be hidden in an omnibus bill and passed, even though many said on record it was wrong,

Where were the main stream writers/reporters that are supported by a multitude of outdoor users? And it’s not like no one was feeding them the information or writing letters to the editors.

They have truly failed us in this matter.

I am just glad OFHA was able to get the acknowledgement on the rights issue noticed.

Because we are all in this together.

I'm pretty sure that all of us at the banquet realized that, despite the Prime Minister's rousing words, nothing will happen with the long gun registry as long as the Conservatives are in a minority government position. Nevertheless, there's comfort in knowing that the OFAH keeps doing one of the things they are very good at: making friends in high places for the benefit of the outdoors community. No other organization has the influence and access to government that the OFAH has, not even close! I'm a member of other groups in addition to being an OFAH member, but every person who who fishes or hunts should hold an OFAH membership. I don't always agree with the OFAH, and they do screw-up sometimes (case in point below), but overall an OFAH membership is money very well-spent.

The MNR was asked at the conference about the re-instatement of the spring bear hunt. The MNR's answer was very clear: FUHGEDDABOUDDIT!!!!!!!

I don't always agree with the OFAH, and they do screw-up sometimes (case in point below), but overall an OFAH membership is money very well-spent.

The MNR was asked at the conference about the re-instatement of the spring bear hunt. The MNR's answer was very clear: FUHGEDDABOUDDIT!!!!!!!

That's not a screw up Derek. That's a question they need to ask at every turn and never let up. Making friends in high places doesn't mean turning our bellies up. The OFAH has more influence over the OMNR than any other "single" organization out there but they also know how to give stern criticism to the OMNR when they deserve it. The OMNR screwed up by giving into the squeaky political wheel despite sound science and the ever so obvious consequences resulting from their belly up maneuver and wildlife and ecosystems are suffering as a result of their refusal to admit when they are wrong. The OFAH needs cooperation from the OMNR but can only remain a force by keeping that big neon finger on issues like the spring bear hunt.

No doubt it will be along time before we see the long gun registry scrapped. Big City folk (the majority of political influence) like wasting money on legal gun owners because there is no easy button answer for gun crime yet.

I received a letter from the Green Party today claiming the NWPA was a done deal and we should donate money to them. That what I like about the OFAH. They don't give up. Even after the fat lady sings. They continue on trying to make things right despite the Fishing show extremists who turn on them over one disagreement.

Your right Chilli!

Even though a lot of OFHA memers where unaware of the fight the boss guys have been slugging it out.

That is more than I can say for a couple of big enviro groups....

They tried to spank me again yesterday, worried about being too politicial/vocal and hurting their "charitable" status.

Meanwhile back at the ranch they are getting their arses kicked in the Enviro Assesment Leg. hearings,

If they find their spine and truely stand up to protect the enviroment (and that would include fish spawning streams)

things would be a whole lot different. A lot of paddle guys are feeling the same way as me and are putting a lot more faith in the hunt/fish crowd

For the record I got spanked at the start of this NWPA thing for making sure every major hunt/fish group knew.

Ahhhh, you gotta love a good spanking, :blush:

Jeff

That's not a screw up Derek. That's a question they need to ask at every turn and never let up.

Ya, "screw up" might have been too strong a term for me to have used. The events leading up to the cancellation of the spring bear hunt were a bit like a poker game involving all the players. I'm certain that if OFAH had the chance to do it all over again, they would have played their hand differently; but at least they tried. The Schad Foundation and IFAW claimed to have 4 aces and they stared Mike Harris in the eye. Harris blinked and it was game over for the spring bear hunt.

I have never hunted bears and probably never will. But I hunt in bear country and the reality is very different from the spin that is offered by the MNR's Bear Wise Program. My fear is that we are heading towards a trajedy or a series of trajedies before the Province departs from its current bear policy.

Archived