Ice Fishing With Salmon/Sleded March 2nd

Guest Big Bass Rich

Guest Big Bass Rich

Well we hit our favourite pond, "Pond X" today for some crappie (or multispecies apparently) fishing. Sleded met up with myself and Salmon on his sled. Within minutes Salmon hooked into this LUNKER!

051084.jpg

It was one of about 30 he caught today, all that gigantic size. :o

But that wasn't all. After a short period of waiting, he hooked into a beauty little pike.

051085.jpg

After a couple of pics she was released to fight another day.

A little later on, and a couple of spot changes later, Sleded hooks into a little bass right before he had to leave for work. A quick picture and of course this little scrappy guy was released so we can catch him again in June!

051086.jpg

After a long wait, and very soaked/cold feet... Salmon finally hooked into our target species. A healthy 11 inch crappie. This one I kept.

051087.jpg

And who got zip, zilch and nadda up til that point? That's right, ME. lol Oh well there was enough action on Salmon's rod to keep me entertained. Eventually, he did lend me a rod and some mousies and I caught some bluegill & pumpkinseed myself. All trophy fish of course (3-4 inches, lol). So none of us got skunked, and Salmon beat our butts as far as fish caught goes. I don't have a picture of my pumpkinseeds but Salmon may post one later on from his camera.

All in all it was a great day on the ice and great to finally meet you Salmon!

Guest chilli
051087.jpg

11173[/snapback]

Wow that looks like a decent size hole behind him. Watch your step. You know this is the second time I've seen pictures of pond x but can't place it. Is it in Niagara or is that Hamilton?

Guest Big Bass Rich

Thats not a hole, it's just slush, but yes watch your step! All our old holes were covered with a fresh blanket of snow which made for pretty dangerous walking. Salmon nicknamed our old spot the "mine field" because you never knew if you were gonna step in an old hole!

Niagara? Hamilton? Nope.. keep guessin' :P

Guest Big Bass Rich

Not Byng, and not a quarry lol. Sorry I can't reveal the spot.. if you've been there before, you would know it immediately from that background. Especially the bridge.

Guest Big Bass Rich

I think it's supposed to be a dam, and water flowed out years ago.. now it just looks like cement stairs. Know the spot yet?? :angry2:

Guest Big Bass Rich

At my house or at the pond? lol

My house is probably half hour away from Old Cut, maybe 45 min.

This pond is just a little more.

Guest Big Bass Rich

NOT Silver Lake dr feelgood. Good guess though. Silver Lake is unsafe for ice, one half is open water. It is one of my stompin' grounds in the spring/summer but the pond in those pics is closer to Jarvis.

Guest Big Bass Rich

I'm not going anymore Tommy... the pond has slowed down too much. We can't find our original spot for crappie. It's covered in snow, not to mention booby trapped LOL Our old holes are insulated under that snow and not freezing over. If they go there, might want to wear a floater suit and watch out for what we dubbed "the mine field"

Archived