Catfishing March 31

Bones

Got the boat out for some cats at . I had caught a sucker, so I thought that we were good to go. Was I wrong lol, after a couple hours of nothing we decided to go in and get some of Steve's cutbait. Ended up with 6, the biggest close to 20 lbs. Unfortunately my friend deleted all the pics off my camera except for the last one :) Thanks for your help Steve, we'll see you next week. That bait is killer, must be the special sauce lol

360105920.jpg

WTG John nice looking cat there to bad that the other pics were deleted :) You didn't freeze that sucker that you caught did you? I've always found that if you freeze a fish that's going to be cut bait it does not work as well, don't know why :lol:

WTG John nice looking cat there to bad that the other pics were deleted :lol: You didn't freeze that sucker that you caught did you? I've always found that if you freeze a fish that's going to be cut bait it does not work as well, don't know why :dunno:

No I didn't freeze it Joe, I caught it in the steelhead derby on saturday so it was fresh. Next time I'll just get Steve's to start with :)

You didn't freeze that sucker that you caught did you? I've always found that if you freeze a fish that's going to be cut bait it does not work as well, don't know why :)

I pack those frozen smelts & shrimp in a Ziploc or Tupperware covered in salt, toughens them up to take a hook nicely.

Careful about those frozen smelt as bait. They may be illegal. Best to call local MNR. Talked to a MNR agent at Bass Pro - he is quite sure they are illegal, but suggested ruling maybe local: hence the advice to call your local office.

Careful about those frozen smelt as bait. They may be illegal. Best to call local MNR. Talked to a MNR agent at Bass Pro - he is quite sure they are illegal, but suggested ruling maybe local: hence the advice to call your local office.

Good point.

It's illegal to use LIVE smelt & alewife as bait, but not deadbaits.

There are exceptions in some areas where any smelt at all is verboten, but in Niagara it's fine.

Archived