Shore fishing access

Guest Frostillicus

Guest Frostillicus

Hey, guys...it's my first post & have to say I'm impressed with the board. Anyway, I'm looking to try the lower Niagara this spring, but since I live in Hamilton, I don't know the area overly well. Basically, I'm looking for spots along the lower river where I can park & walk down to the shore since I don't have a boat. Any recommendations appreciated! :D

Guest Fish4Life
Hey, guys...it's my first post & have to say I'm impressed with the board.  Anyway, I'm looking to try the lower Niagara this spring, but since I live in Hamilton, I don't know the area overly well.  Basically, I'm looking for spots along the lower river where I can park & walk down to the shore since I don't have a boat.  Any recommendations appreciated! :D

11370[/snapback]

If your in tip top shape try the whirlpool, as the walk back up is killer (1km+ walking up stairs) . Make sure you bring your not so spring chicken buddies along.

Hope this helps.

Welcome. Here are some basic directions to get you to the lower Niagara:

Queenston: Take Qew from Hamilton Niagara bound. exit Glendale ave(2nd exit under overpass) at the bottom of the Garden City Skyway. Follow Glendale Ave to York Rd.. Turn right at lights, follow York Rd. all the way into the Village of St. Davids (4 way stop with Petro Can station on your right). Continue straight for another few clicks. At the next major intersection (Niagara Pkwy) turn left towards NOTL you will see a fire station a few streets down the little hill on the right. Turn right on Dumfries, follow all the way to the end. Follow signs to Queenston boat ramp. Here you can fish the back eddy and the sand dock.

The Whirlpool: instead of exiting at Glendale continue down QEW Niagara bound and take 405 heading to Lewiston NY. Exit at Stanley Ave. At top of off ramp turn right, follow down past 4 way stop, turn left just before RR tracks - this is Whirlpool road. Follow Whirlpool till you reach River Road. Turn left on river, enter first parking lot on your right. Walk towards trees ( do not follow path straight into the trees) from Parking lot, stop at public walkway, head right for about 100 feet - you should see the sign for stairs to the Whirlpool. About a 15 minute walk down in good weather.

The Glen and Pebbly Beach: instead of stopping at the first parking lot (the Whirlpool) follow River Road in a Northerly direction past the Golf course, when you see the Gift shop called The Feather in the Glen, park in the lot at North end. Walk towards fence at river, on your left is the steel staircase down to the main paths. The path for the Glen heads upstream towards the Whirlpool and the Falls. Pebbly Beach heads downstream towards the Adam Beck Generating Station. Paths are marked by coloured bands on trees.

Best of luck :D

Edward

P.S. - check for conditions here on this board before you make the treck in from Hamilton.

Archived