Niagra in April

Guest Vermontsteelie

Guest Vermontsteelie

I'm New to this site, so let me first say that this is a great forum guys. I am going to be visiting a friend around the 20th of April, and we are going to be fishing the Niagra for the first time. I would like to catch steel head and salmon. I was wondering how good the fishing is that time of year, and what i could expect to catch. What would be the best launch on the canadian side to use and what area would area should I go, thanks.

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

You don't want to fish the Niagara in april for Salmon. . You need to go out on the lake,you can launch from Port Dalhouise,then head out to 60FOW MAX. and start trolling east or west. Flatlining Reef Runners any body bait will get you fish. It depends on what time in April your heading this way?

Vermon.........I don't think you could pick a better time of year for numbers of salmon might not be the huge fall salmon but it'll be great fishing for sure........8-12lbs average I'm guessing .............keep in touch with this message board and I'd be happy to give you my GPS numbers............but I'll be fishing the red can at the Niagara bar...............UNBELIEVABLE...........bring your camara.........JHM........I'll give you more info time of.........

Guest ChromeCrusher
I'm New to this site, so let me first say that this is a great forum guys.  I am going to be visiting a friend around the 20th of April, and we are going to be fishing the Niagra for the first time.  I would like to catch steel head and salmon.  I was wondering how good the fishing is that time of year, and what i could expect to catch.  What would be the best launch on the canadian side to use and what area would area should I go, thanks.

11402[/snapback]

April is the hottest month for Steelhead on the Niagara. Some fall days can give you huge numbers, but the sprig is consistent. April should be a good time to check out any spot on the river as fish will be spawning/running.

SW winds above 35km/hr can cause visibility problems on water clarity, so check the weather 3-5 days before u go.

Guest Aaron Shirley

Welcome to this site. Rick has an excellent site here.

The guys are right... the lake is best for salmon in April. You can launch at Queenston Ontario and fish the Niagara River for steelhead, and go out to the lake (approx. 3 miles) and troll for salmon. Very versatile system.

As Chromecrusher stated, the river can be great for steelhead in April. Downsizing to a single UB Fishin' or Exude egg or yarn fly is one of my best tactics in April. Long fluoro leaders in 6 or 4lb test works like a charm in the gin-clear water. If the water is stained, try upsizing to larger yarn flies, roe bags, pink worms, kwikfish, streamers or emerlad shiners.

As for the lake, try trolling deep-diving baits off planer boards like Thundersticks, Long A Bombers, Reef Runners and Husky Jerks. Dipseys and spoons can also be deadly.

Good fishing!

Aaron

Archived