Carp Question

Labber

A friend has a good size (7 Acre) pond.

It is only 2-4 ft deep.

All that is ever in it is Chubs & sunfish.

It is being over run by Tules.

Would a population of good size carp help to push the tule's back and reclaim more open water?

some type of weed/reed/bullrush type deal.

The carp might work a little if they root around enough but the water depth would not be best for them.

I have this pond I fish that is 6-8 inches in most places. I have no idea where the hole is but the carp survive it every winter. They don't grow very big there but I suspect they are the only reason the pond hasn't been silted in or grown over yet. It is an inline pond which isn't very healthy for the stream and any silt that comes in won't flow out without the help of the fish.

littlecarp.jpg

I would put channel cats in because if the pond is connected with a stream the carp will go into the stream and possibly screw up the ecosystem there. I dunno B)

I would put channel cats in because if the pond is connected with a stream the carp will go into the stream and possibly screw up the ecosystem there. I dunno B)

I should have added, that the pond is landlocked with one minor exception. A drainage pipe that drains steeply down into a body of water that already has carp.

Effecting the local ecology is not an issue.

The reason I thought it might help is that any ponds I know of that hold carp seem to be lacking in Tules (Bullrushes).

What would channel cats do for his weed problem?

Hey why not try to encourage muskrats to inhabit the pond. They should mow through those plants, root, stem and all.

all channel cats will do is live in it there carnivores not herbivores im going with hammercarp muskrats will mow down those weeds in weeks and when there done you got a new petbits a win win

Archived