It seems the other side might win one battle

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/eu_seal_hunt_cda

Mark one for the other side. I get a kick out of the ignorance in the readers comments. Some people just don't understand the human effect on wild populations and why we must continue with control over other species. They also don't understand the benefits of such activities as seal hunting etc.

So let's get the "environmentalist" take (I use this term grudgingly as I see many hunters and anglers as environmentalists more so than these ARA crusaders)

Animal products are bad,

Petroleum products are bad,

Genetically modified plant matter bad,

Clearing land for farming bad,

Pesticides and fertilizers are bad,

Breathing clean air bad (cause you will exhale CO2)

cows are bad (methane)

walking is bad (might crush some kind of plant or bug)

I guess humans should not exist because everything we do impacts our surroundings.

On a realistic note.

Uncontrolled harvest of animals is bad.

Overuse of petroleum is bad

Overuse of GMO is bad

Clear cutting (esp rainforest tropical or old groth boreal/carolinian) is bad, but farming is good

Over reliance on Pesticides and fertilizers is bad (esp for water run off), that is why we breed and research pest/drought resistant, high yielding varieties

Breathing clean air is good

Cows are yummy

Walking through sensitive areas can be damaging, but the deer do it all of the time, just now what you are doing. stay to paths if possible.

I honestly think that Human life is out growing our environment and will soon reach a saturation of sustainability. We soon will reach that point that we as conservationists are trying to protect deer, seals, moose, coyotes etc from reaching.

FW.

Archived