Semi fishing report and Watching TV

Guest Jeetmuck

Guest Jeetmuck

Was laid up yesterday again with this wonky back after getting back from the Meet and Greet on Simcoe Saturday (found that skunk all the way out there this time).

I was watching Real Fishing with the Zumi and they aired some tips about using scent and he had used plain old garlic salt to scent up his plastics and hardware. He also packaged it in a container with Sea Salt for an added kick. Seemed to work well, and I have used garlic scented PAM for quite some time. I haven't tried this yet and was wondering if any others on the board have tried this? And did you find it worked?

Perhaps if I had watched it prior to going to Simcoe I may have actually got something.... :D

I just couldn't set the hook either in time or my minnows were too big for the hooks (sz 6) 4-5"minnow. Missed a number of hook ups. At least the others that we ran into out there did well. I'll let perch man and Fishin'-nut tell ya's.

HI Jeetmuck

Well myself,Perchman and his dad along with Bob the Buider and his son all went up to the meet and greet up on Simcoe. We did pretty well that Saturday we landed seven lakers and one whitie right after you left Jeetmuck. The Sunday was really bad, freezing rain ,high winds and drifting snow made it somewhat impossible to fish that day dut we did manage to loose three whities, landed one more laker and lost several others. Most of the fish were caught with medium sized minnows on spreaders with another minnow up above the spreader anywhere from 12"-15" . We also found that the icefishing rod cradles were the ticket here. This device actually turns your rod into a tip-up, for everyone that doen't know. Actually the Niagara boys faired pretty well in the derby that they had placing 7th,8th,9th and 10th. Won couple of weekend hut rentals,hotel accomodations,weekend getaway at Coblestones and 10 free car washes. Action for lakers is really starting to pick up . But you should hurry because we only have 8 more days up there. Was nice fishing with you Jeetmuck hope you get the skunk off your back.

Jeetmuck: Wonky back :wacko: You don't have to cover up that the better half slaped you upside the mellon and you fell over the sunshine picture :unsure: see you's at the swill. Catfish

Hey Jeet,,,i also tuned in for Real Fishin and i always enjoy the Fish Eye View segment of the show. Ive never tried the garlic pouder/salt mixturebefore,and as you said it seemed to work good even infront of the cameras!might have to give it a shot,,aperently the fish hold onto it longer allowin more time to set the hook.last spring i picked up some YUM shad flavoured scent LPT and havent really noticed a diffrence in strikeing,,,it washes off pretty quick

Guest Eyelike2fish

I like the herring gel. It stays on so good and although I havent compared fishing with anyone side by side I am sure it must mask the odour from our hands.

Steve

Hey Guy's : I don't know how many of you own a boat with carpet but if you were in my boat and pulled out that garlic crap you would be on shore real fast, I would atleast give you the option first put it back in your bag or go to shore. I only say this because if you are a boater and have had someone use this in your boat beleive me it is a pain in the @#% to get it out of your carpet and you smell it for months after. I am sure that if Bob had someone do this in his boat he would not be happy, if you noticed he was verry carefull when he put it on.The non-boaters that used this in my boat were not that carefull and guess what it was every where so I do not allow it in my boat, Tommy if you draw me this year in a club T just remember leave it at home, or you will be shore fishing. Now this may sound harsh but it's my boat and I don't think the non-boater will offer to clean my boat so I think it is my choice. Besides if you do draw me you will see what I use and how, after you see how good it works you won't even think of garlic. plus I hate going home smelling like a pasta bar, fish is better. I know I can here it now theres that secret thing again whats with these dam bass guy's :unsure: Catfish

Tommy: I think you may have taken it wrong my point was just because Bob use's garlic every one is going to fill there tackle bag with garlic, point being there are lots of alturnitives to garlic, yes tubes with salt work very good, drop shot baits, body baits, spin baits all these work very well but after you have fished for a while you your self will figure out what YOU want to use and what YOU feel comfortable using. After you have attended a few more meets and get to know the guy's in the club they will tell you what you need, and after a few T's under your belt you your self will have learned what to do. So I will not have to thru your tackle box but I will if you want :unsure: Catfish

Guest Jeetmuck

Thanks for the input all... I haven't tried it, just wanted to know if any others have and whether or not it works. Personally the only thing garlic really goes on is the old pasta dishes, and I used the PAM (only thing I had at the time) to keep some of my older lures from rusting but never thought of it scent wise.

I don't like the smell of it on my hands and can fully appreciate not putting it in a boat. I have tried other tube scents but find I get it on my hands and have a difficult time getting it out. I still like salt scented tubes but the last Exude worms I bought had an awful smelling scent in them already.

Guest Jeetmuck

LOL...

I still like the smell of that glue and have to fight the kids for the "skin" when they are using it at home... :Gonefishing: Goes hand in hand with the old Ditto papers back in school when everyone would smell the paper as it was handed out.

As for GULP...I got some free sample packs from them awhile back and they sure do smell...I don't know what is worse, those or the Exude stuff.

I can't wait to get the boat ready to go out on the river...may have to replace my transom this year. Have to find some marine plywood first.

Guest Jeetmuck
HI Jeetmuck

Well myself,Perchman and his dad along with Bob the Buider and his son all went up to the meet and greet up on Simcoe. We did pretty well that Saturday we landed seven lakers and one whitie right after you left Jeetmuck. The Sunday was really bad, freezing rain ,high winds and drifting snow made it somewhat impossible to fish that day dut we did manage to loose three whities, landed one more laker and lost several others. Most of the fish were caught with medium sized minnows on spreaders with another minnow up above the spreader anywhere from 12"-15" . We also found that the icefishing rod cradles were the ticket here. This device actually turns your rod into a tip-up, for everyone that doen't know. Actually the Niagara boys faired pretty well in the derby that they had placing 7th,8th,9th and 10th. Won couple of weekend hut rentals,hotel accomodations,weekend getaway at Coblestones and 10 free car washes. Action for lakers is really starting to pick up . But you should hurry because we only have 8 more days up there. Was nice fishing with you Jeetmuck hope you get the skunk off your back.

11601[/snapback]

It was a great day with or without the skunk...Sorry it took so long to reply...busy at work...It was great to get out there with you fellas...I liked the shirts, those were sweet...fishing on Simcoe for me this year has definitely been hit and miss earlier with the Whities and Lakers but did very well in the early season on Cooks bay for Perch...now I just want a couple more cracks at the others and some last minute eyes down at Dunnville and I am ready to put away the ice equipment until next year. It would be interesting if we could set something like this up for NFN...now that would be fun...

Take it easy,

Gene

Sent: Jeet & Tommy I'll tell you my secret sent mix at the swill but shhhhhhh don't tell these salmon guy's, it won't be long and this board will change over to real fishing talk :Gonefishing::mellow::dunno::lol: Catfish

Hey Jeet: After I tell you this little secret you won't even have to worry about her going in your fishing room :lol: Catfish

Jeet: aslong as you keep the bag closed it's not bad . but if you do as me when the wife comes into MY room I open it up just a bit and lowinbehold she leaves, perfect because all she is doing is looking for new pack's of something and then it turns into do you really need all them rods & reels, so it works very well :lol: ps just don't let the wife read this one :lol: Catfish

Guest Jeetmuck

LOL...I don't have a "MY" room anymore, the kids took over but I still got my doghouse which I have been known to frequent occasionally. I am just starting to get my spring fishing gear together and may actually make it down to the show this week to see what is new. My wife is going to be in Memphis with the kids so I will be baching it. Are you working it this week?

Guest Jeetmuck

Hey Rob,

Can I ask that you PM the recipe to me? I am heading to Simcoe Saturday and would like to see how it does for Whities and Lakers. After my wife watched Real Fishing with me, she made a batch up for me this week. I don't like the smell but coating minnows right now in the mix as well as sea salting some for the weekend.

How about egg shells? You ever use them as attractants (eye candy)? I have used tapioca in the past and seems to work well if you bait the area a day before you head out.

Thanks,

Gene

Archived