Mother's Day Turkey Hunt NYS

Got up late (4am) got pulled in at the border to check the paper work. Finally got to where we wanted to be, got in, started owl hooting, nothing... Moved a bit farther, had some hens going, sat down hoping to get them in, but they got cut off about 75 yrd out by a swamp. Moved again and let out 1 cluck on the box call and GOBBLE!! Oh s**t! The bird was close and coming, set up quick against a tree, more or less just got settled and I could see them moving through the trees about 40 yrds out. There was 3 birds moving through the woods towards us, the back bird was in half sturt and the other two kept half puffing up as well. Gun was up and safety off, they got behind a hill, one quick call and up they came. My bird didn't stand a chance about 15 yrds just as his head came over the hill, my dad got his as it turned to run. Both birds we got were jakes, not sure if the 3rd was a tom or just another jake. The cool thing was though both jakes were growing triple beards!

My bird was the one on the top in this pic! ;)

P5090212.jpg

P5090213.jpg

P5090214.jpg

My birds beards

P5100218.jpg

Dad's birds beards

P5100217.jpg

We still have 1 tag left each and until the end of may to hunt em. Hopefully find a big boy soon!

Good Shooting man !!!

next year i'll be ready for these things lol , gonna hunt Kansas and Western Oklahoma again next year you should come on that trip its good times its an 18 hour drive but we go for the whole week . I'm really looking forward to that

Bondar

Nope, not considering bow at all. The amount of area we hunt, we don't have blinds or anything set up, so its just run and gun. Plus we get alot of hunting pressure in the area so shotgun is the way to go. We're up to 4 birds this year (2 canadian 2 american) know where theres a couple more local birds, and can hopefully find a couple more in the states. We know where theres 1 more anyway B)

Archived