PFD Sale

Smokin Joe

You would think there would be some sort of reciprocal agreement as far as PFD's go, think of all the American tourists with boats that would out of compliance when visiting here if there was not, or fishing both sides ofthe Niagara River .

You would think there would be some sort of reciprocal agreement...........

You'd think wouldn't you........

Visting boaters staying in Canadian waters less than 45 days are exempt from most regulations for safety equipment if their boat is legally fitted and licenced in their home state.

Someone may have insite into this but I think that US approved can be used in Canadian waters by Americans and Canadian approved can be used in their waters by Canadians. I may be wrong so dont quote me. I have never boated in the US, but I do have a friend who comes up North from Chicago every year and he uses his US approved PFD's...

from the transport Canada website

http://www.tc.gc.ca/marinesafety/debs/obs/...rmation.htm#lj4

Look for a lifejacket or PFD with a label that states it has been approved by:

Transport Canada;

Canadian Coast Guard;

Fisheries and Oceans Canada; or,

any combination of the above.

Foreign visitors to Canada may bring their own flotation device to use as long as it conforms to the laws of their country

I have been stopped once and they never inspected the labels on the PFDs. Just had everyone in the boat hold one up to make sure we the correct number.

Better be Canadian Coast Guard approved. If the cops pull you over and want to find something to charge yo on they WILL with those life jackets... better be safe than sorry. I have never been checked that closely but I would ot want to find out the hard way!!!!

Archived