Grand River Salmon Run

JFish

Since there have been a couple of posts regarding the Grand River I would assume that there are some people here that know a thing or two about it. Just wondering if there is a significant salmon run in the spring and when does it usually start? April?? I know steelies open end of April. Any info would be excellent.

Last fall I had a blast steelhead fishing. Only got out 3 days but caught a bunch.

Thanks

Guest ChromeCrusher

The Grand does get the odd chinney, and probably cohos too. I have seen a fish once try and jump the damn in Caly 10 times in an hour (the same fish each time). The fish are there from earlier stocking, by New York/Pennsylvania and I believe Canada did some stocking as well. The salmon however did not do even close to as good as the steelies, so stocking was stopped in the 90s. The occasional fish each year proves that some natrural reproduction has been successful.

Cohos are relatively common in some (Canadian) Erie tributaries, I know that Ryerse Creek used to have reasonable runs, given it's size. At one time, they were also quite common in Big Creek, but I have not seen any in some time. I did however see a few pairs of really beat up Kings in a few runs this fall, indeed a sign that there is reproduction on some level. There would probably be greater results if people kept an odd fish, instead of consistently keeping a few every outing - there are some real "characters" that fish down that way. :P

Guest Cougar
At one time, they were also quite common in Big Creek, but I have not seen any in some time. I did however see a few pairs of really beat up Kings in a few runs this fall,

Salmon must be there as last summer I had a few parr on my spinner. I cannot imagine how somebody can be thinking of eating those spawning / dying fish.

i have seen people take em home from port dalhousie ...

one guy was telling me he picked up a freshly dead one and took it home, said it wasnt fantastic tasting but it was fish none the less.

It's interesting that you noted that Cougar - I sometimes fly fish it in the summer, and I have noticed the same thing, Steelhead smolts and Salmonid Parr; As far as I know, the fish in that system are largely 'wild', as there is a high precentage of natural reproduction that occurs there. Shame that the old 5 fish limit applies for those who have the Sport licence, no need for that many, any time.

I tend to keep some August Chinooks I catch at the Saugeen - the fish are nickel silver, the meat bright orange, and the taste A-1. I release all wild Bows, keeping a stocker or Croaker (aquacultre) fish now and then.

I have seen people keep the (green) gator Salmon, and wonder why - they are actually decaying. The comments I usually hear are "it's a fish for the smoker" :dunno: - but there is no way that thing would go in my brine or Little Chief! :P

All this talk about eating decaying fish....mmmmmm :P

What about catching spring salmon on the lake in April??? Are these fish ok because they are still pre-spawn fish? Is a salmon ok to keep as long as they haven't spawned???

JFish

Archived