Surprise catch

Hacknslash

We were out on Erie targting perch. Bite was extremely slow. All of a sudden my buddy gets a huge hit followed by an instant snap off. We moved around and found a few perch. Went back to the original spot..Wham another huge hit. Here's what he pulled up.......

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Length was 39 inches...weight on the digital scale was 13lbs. No wonder we were having a hard time locating perch. This brute must have been scaring them all off!!!!

Very nice! I remember last year or so (gettin older and time flies now) fishing shallow near some weed beds when I drifted over a pike who came out for a look. I switched up to a wire lead and #5 Mepps spinner and quickly retrieved the fish. That's what I've found about pike over the years. When they're hungry they'll hit more than once. I've battled a pike and had them spit my chub n hook out at boat side only to hit it again as soon as a dropped it back down.

Thanks for sharing. I may hit the Lake for an hour tonight in the kayak if the pike are on the feed.

Thats a nice sized pike! I remember hooking a small walleye once and when bringing it up a pike hit it my mom netted them both. This was 2 hours north of Thunderbay.

Archived