Caledonia Yesterday

Nik

Brought out the float rod and float reel and gave it a shot. I havent been by the dam in a long time. Bought a dozen worms and fished for about 2 hours.

I ended up catching 4 cats about 2-3 pounds each and a small rock bass. Nice to get out and some good practice with the pin.

No pics as I dont bring my camera when I wade in the water.

Cheers

:lol:

Brought out the float rod and float reel and gave it a shot. I havent been by the dam in a long time. Bought a dozen worms and fished for about 2 hours.

I ended up catching 4 cats about 2-3 pounds each and a small rock bass. Nice to get out and some good practice with the pin.

No pics as I dont bring my camera when I wade in the water.

Cheers

:lol:

Cool were they channel cats or bullheads?

Nice catch.

Fish bigger than 2-3 lb is normally channel catfish. Brown bullhead is usually less than 2-3 lb.

You got it

All smaller channel cats. Although they put up a great fight on a 13' rod with a 3.5# florocarbon leader (this was left from trout season.

You got it

All smaller channel cats. Although they put up a great fight on a 13' rod with a 3.5# florocarbon leader (this was left from trout season.

Cool Im gonna see if I can catch some channel cats up in Brantford next weekend

Back in the eigthies I was pretty big on fly fishing, I think it was this time of year we used to take light fly rods below the dam at Caledonia and there was a mooneye run where you catch them till your arms dropped off. They were very willing to hit flies, does this fishery still exist ?

Back in the eigthies I was pretty big on fly fishing, I think it was this time of year we used to take light fly rods below the dam at Caledonia and there was a mooneye run where you catch them till your arms dropped off. They were very willing to hit flies, does this fishery still exist ?

That was great. Mooneye is still around. You can still catch a few of them there. Very beautiful fish.

That was great. Mooneye is still around. You can still catch a few of them there. Very beautiful fish.

I used to think of them as a poor man's grayling, the run where you got good numbers was pretty seasonal , a few excellent weeks then dropped off.

Archived