Fireman's Park Pond Almost Dry

drsmooth

I went for a hike today starting at Fireman's Park. I noticed the pond was almost completely dry.

The pond was so low that the carp in there couldn't swim without their dorsal fins breaking the water (think of Jaws).

I read previous posts where they let the pond level go down for various reasons. In this case there was perhaps 1foot of water left.

Anyone know what is going on?

Guest niagarariverpro

Just a guess but possibly draining the water to clean the bottom out.. be a good idea..

they should consider making it a trout pond once again...

Just a guess but possibly draining the water to clean the bottom out.. be a good idea..

they should consider making it a trout pond once again...

Agreed, my earliest fishing memory is fishing there for trout.

The pond was so low, I could likely catch fish by hand. Bear Style.

Although shocked at how shallow it is considering Trout used to live in there.

Guest niagarariverpro
Agreed, my earliest fishing memory is fishing there for trout.

The pond was so low, I could likely catch fish by hand. Bear Style.

Although shocked at how shallow it is considering Trout used to live in there.

ah yes.. the good ole days.. i was 13 and camped there for opener.. lived 20 min walk away.. used a pup tent and hot rocks from the fire to keep us warm.. only to have limit in the first 3 min :(

Ive been going down there the last little while and watching it slowly go down. Did not see it this past weekend but if it as far down as u say, Good to that cause now mayb i kan find my pole from last season that got dragged in wen not paying attention. lol

Ive been going down there the last little while and watching it slowly go down. Did not see it this past weekend but if it as far down as u say, Good to that cause now mayb i kan find my pole from last season that got dragged in wen not paying attention. lol

You should be able to retrieve your pole provided someone else hasn't already....

Wow! I hope they consider stocking trout in their again after it is cleaned out. I can remember at the age of 12-13 riding my bike 5 kms up the length of Dorchester Rd. to fish there. Spent many summer days doing that. Even cleaned and cooked them there on an open fire. Great place to get kids involved in fishing.

Found out the culvert pipe that keeps the water at the right hieght has a hole and that is why the water is so low.

They are looking for someone to fix the problem and they are thinking of dredging the pond. But the problem with the low water is going to be fixed..

John

Found out the culvert pipe that keeps the water at the right hieght has a hole and that is why the water is so low.

They are looking for someone to fix the problem and they are thinking of dredging the pond. But the problem with the low water is going to be fixed..

John

Good to know! Hope they Dredge it...

I used to love fishing there as a kid. I still do about once a year just for old time's sake. Any word about the pond being stocked with anything? Or just whatever survives?

Archived