Caledonia........

jhm123452000

Guest ChromeCrusher

Be careful, you will likely catch nothing but chrome, and get arrested/fined. The MNR is videotaping people "targeting walleye", but catching steelhead.

This is illegal in the MNR's eyes, and they'll accept no excuses.

Guest FIN "S" FISHER
Be careful,  you will likely catch nothing but chrome, and get arrested/fined.  The MNR is videotaping people "targeting walleye", but catching steelhead. 

This is illegal in the MNR's eyes, and they'll accept no excuses.

11864[/snapback]

Chrome crusher , Who told you thatline of crap! there are no cameras out there at the dam. Not meaning to start nothing but I have fished the dam every year at this time for walleyes and never heard that. Yes you are right the steelies are out of season at this time, But alot of people dont understand that floating big 4'' shinners under a float for walleyes is effective this time of yaer as you do have to cover lots of water. I still use my center pin and flaot rod for this speicies as well and if I do happen to catch a bow it is quickly rleased and put back unharmed to do its spawning thing. people say stuff to me when I go out but when I come back in to shore the story changes when there is a nice walleye on the stringer. I also use my float rod because that is the only rod I have besides ice fishing gear.

sorry if you think that i snapped, But alot of other peple underlook and think float fishing is just for rainbows its not .it is the most natural way to present a bait.

No body would say anything if it was august or july doing the same type of fishing for walleyes would they .

Just my 0.02 cents worth.

hope I didnt affend you

Fin s fisher.

Guest ChromeCrusher

Okay, this topic had to come up. If you try and say, that you are gonna catch more walleye under a float w/ a jig, than steelhead, than you must think i am a fool. My own field research has proven, that the ratio is so far about 100 : 1, steelhead : walleye, using that technique on the Grand.

This is an issue the MNR needs to adress clearly and concisely! You cant have an open season for walleye, in an area that has spawning steelhead. Especially at a dam. It doesn't matter if you chuck spinners, crankbaits, jigs, worms etc.......at this time of year you will out catch steelies : walleyes, atleast 10:1.

The MNR doesn't care about our fisheries nearly like we do, so they don't employ enough C.O.'s and others to adress these issues in a timely manner.

But , by the way, I did see a guy video taping anglers at the dam, and later saw C.O.'s busting a guy.

A C.O. (Mark Clock) told me, if he sees someone catch a steelhead out of season and release it, they must change locations and techniques or else he would fine them for targeting an out of season fish!

Guest FIN "S" FISHER
Okay, this topic had to come up.  If you try and say, that you are gonna catch more walleye under a float w/ a jig, than steelhead, than you must think i am a fool.  My own field research has proven, that the ratio is so far about 100 : 1, steelhead : walleye, using that technique on the Grand.

This is an issue the MNR needs to adress clearly and concisely!  You cant have an open season for walleye, in an area that has spawning steelhead.  Especially at a dam.  It doesn't matter if you chuck spinners, crankbaits, jigs, worms etc.......at this time of year you will out catch steelies : walleyes, atleast 10:1.

The MNR doesn't care about our fisheries nearly like we do, so they don't employ enough C.O.'s and others to adress these issues in a timely manner.

But , by the way, I did see a guy video taping anglers at the dam, and later saw C.O.'s busting a guy.

A C.O. (Mark Clock) told me, if he sees someone catch a steelhead out of season and release it, they must change locations and techniques or else he would fine them for targeting an out of season fish!

11913[/snapback]

Ok I understand that but if it is by mistake or if I am getting steelies I do move .

I understand ur side of the story and mine . you shoulnt be able to fish close to the dam at this time of year. I dont fish there to offten but I always catch a few big walleyes this time of year. :P And of course some rainbow Im not going to lie .

I try to follow the rules the best I can.

Guest Paulus

I agree with both points of view, partially. I can definitely see the value of targeting all kinds of species of fish with the centrepin. In Britain, that's what they do all the time, with or without current. I've seen guys targeting bass in the Otonabee near Peterborough, for example (I just bought my first pin, so I'll be trying that out this summer for sure!).

But I also agree that open seasons on one species, coinciding with closed season on other species, in the same body or area of water, is not good conservationism. Rather, as an example, there should be closed season on that body of water: no fishing from Dec 31 to last weekend of April. And this leads to the question, as fishermen, what will we do until the proper rules are put in place? IMC, I would just not fish there. But by law we all get to make that choice.

The only thing that bugs me a little is my own ignorance. Maybe someone can dispell part of it, but I didn't think the steelies could make it past the dam at Caledonia. And is there actually good spawning water that they can reach? That is, if the fish aren't getting to spawn anywhere productive, what's the point of protecting them? (kind of an "flammable" question, but I thought it was worth a shot!)

p.- B)

Guest ChromeCrusher
Ok I understand that but if it is by mistake or if I am getting steelies I do move .

I understand ur side of the story and mine . you shoulnt be able to fish close to the dam at this time of year. I dont fish there to offten but I always catch a few big walleyes this time of year. B)  And of course some rainbow Im not going to lie .

I try to follow the rules the best I can.

11918[/snapback]

If you know you're going to get some rainbows with that technique when you go, you SHOULD NOT GO! PURE IGNORANCE IF YOU ASK ME!

Guest ChromeCrusher
I agree with both points of view, partially. I can definitely see the value of targeting all kinds of species of fish with the centrepin. In Britain, that's what they do all the time, with or without current. I've seen guys targeting bass in the Otonabee near Peterborough, for example (I just bought my first pin, so I'll be trying that out this summer for sure!).

But I also agree that open seasons on one species, coinciding with closed season on other species, in the same body or area of water, is not good conservationism. Rather, as an example, there should be closed season on that body of water: no fishing from Dec 31 to last weekend of April. And this leads to the question, as fishermen, what will we do until the proper rules are put in place? IMC, I would just not fish there. But by law we all get to make that choice.

The only thing that bugs me a little is my own ignorance. Maybe someone can dispell part of it, but I didn't think the steelies could make it past the dam at Caledonia. And is there actually good spawning water that they can reach? That is, if the fish aren't getting to spawn anywhere productive, what's the point of protecting them? (kind of an "flammable" question, but I thought it was worth a shot!)

The odd one will get over, but such a big river above makes them almost impossible to locate.  Best way to find out is do some foot work!

p.-  B)

11931[/snapback]

Hey Chrome.........What about fishing Rainbows on the Lake Erie in April and May........People catch Walleye and Bass in the mix and there out of season ..........So those people shouldn't fish Rainbows then............or the people who fish rainbows in the river and get a out of season Laker...........I've caught muskie out of season in the upper while going for Rainbows..........PLEASE someone tell me when I can fish with out being PURE IGNORANT..........So by your thinking we can fish when.............June,July August when do lakers go out of season got to be careful............Your not fishing rainbows now are you careful of those bass............JHM..........Just wondering...... B):dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno::dunno:

Guest Jeetmuck

I normally don't jump into discussion of big grey areas but incidental catches are part and parcel of fishing. Targetting species in any given water does not guarantee that you will catch what you intended. Every precaution should be made to release an OOS season catch and nothing is for the worse as long as the fish hasn't been maimed to point of death.

I myself have unfortunately incidentally caught a few OOS fish this year, what can be done? not much but I tried to release as quickly as possible even if it meant cutting the line and losing tackle.

Seasons overlap and until that is completely changed we have to understand that any time we venture out and do a little fishing, there is always the chance of getting something we never intended.

On a humourous note, I seemed to have caught a number of skunks this year. I wish they were OOS. I have to find away to keep them away.

Guest Jeetmuck

I would be more than happy to give you one IBC. Next time I see ya, I will bring one along. I seem to have really found the honey hole on the Grand this year for them but there are still some monster out there to catch. Maybe we can got a record one in the spring... B):dunno:

Guest Big Bass Rich

Fragile my @$$, if you see all the people covering that river on opening day and catching steelhead, yet see incredible numbers coming into the river every year, it obviously isn't a fragile resource. That's why the MNR has an EXTENDED season on it! People need to get a life... sometimes you catch a fish out of season, you say OOPS, let it go, change baits or move somewhere else.

seems to me its the typical my fish is better than your fish arguement....

when i'm fishing for pike in the spring, i might catch bass....

when i'm fishing for walleye later in the spring, i still might catch bass...

so i guess we should stop fishing for pike and walleye until bass opens right?

Whatever.

CC, your rainbows are no more presious than any of the resident walleye.

as long as the angler is not keeping the bows, then let him fish for his walleye. thats the way the regs work.

Archived