Black Creek Clean up

The Friends of Fort Erie's Creeks suggested to me that we hold a cleanup in Black Creek. This is where FOFEC got their start. I have seen quite a bit of waste in there but it is quite a stretch of water but perhaps if we chose a small stretch or if we had enough volunteers, we could spread it out or pick a stretch to clean.

vacume.jpg

Anyone interested should call Yvonne at FOFEC and suggest a date that your available to do so. 905-871-3050

We may require a raft :D

3539430099_ba38ea0967_o.jpg

Think weeks in advance.

hey chilli you should make up a flyer and pass it out to resdents along the creek to get their help on this one. i would try to be there but as always im on the road most of my time but if im off ill be there

That's not a bad idea FOG. Most of the land owners at waters edge keep it spotless though. The public land is the worst or along the stretch of golf course. I think most of the mess comes from upstream as there is plenty of plastic in the sweepers (bushes at the high water mark). I'm guessing the majority of a cleanup will have to be done by boat. If we made flyers, it might encourage creek side residents to lend a hand.

Thanks for the feedback :Gonefishing:

If ya feel like sinking in the mud wade on in lol. You sink quite a bit in there. I'm more then willing to lend a hand though, alot of the ppl that live on there have docks with motors on them, that would be great if you could get one of them since you are cleaning there backyards!

Erik allot of this stuff just blows out of peoples blue boxes all winter long and eventually finds its way down hill to the creeks. As for the vacuum cleaner and couch, we just have to accept that not everyone in society has a brain or a conscience.

As for the vacuum cleaner and couch, we just have to accept that not everyone in society has a brain or a conscience.

Chilli,

That is such a defeatist statement, I'm shocked hearing that from you!

Public education, education, education. I'm certain that makes a difference.

As for the blue box...there has got to be a solution to the mess collection day makes. If only we knew what it was? ;)

FW

FW there's no chance education would have prevented that sofa bed from ending up in the creek. Getting caught, pointed out to the public and fined big cash would deter other boneheads (possibly). Besides how many members we got? How many volunteers did I see step forward? Ya I'm guess I'm feeling defeated.

Blue bags may add more plastic to the mix but it would be the landfill or recycle mix rather than the ditches and streams. The Region (Katharine Hamberle) acted insulted by my suggestion stating they've put allot of effort into this and feel its working just fine. Another suggestion would be blue boxes with lids like the green bins or free drop off facilities.

There are some sites I know where people regularly dump garbage I was wondering if they could pay some cops to hide in the brush and arrest the people when they dump the garbage. or at least get liscense plate numbers off of the dumpers or something. I would be willing to do that.

And sorry Mr.Dan I couldnt come help cleanup Black creek because I live in Toronto and I have been helping my grandma move for the past month.

If you did want to get a lot of volounteers talk to the principal of a local highschool about the cleanup and ask him to do an announcement you will probably get a lot of helpers because students need to get 40 hours of community service by Gr.12. You would just need to make a form with directions to the spot the time of the start and supplies needed. Also aarox. how long the cleanup will be.

Blue bags may add more plastic to the mix but it would be the landfill or recycle mix rather than the ditches and streams. The Region (Katharine Hamberle) acted insulted by my suggestion stating they've put allot of effort into this and feel its working just fine. Another suggestion would be blue boxes with lids like the green bins or free drop off facilities.

Back home recycling was done by free drop offs. They were large bins (some looked like cones some like domes) and they were a messy eye sore as they weren't emptied by the town often enough...also recycling was a P I T A as you had to go to the cones every couple of days...didn't encourage a lot of people to recycle.

I can see your frustration at the level of participation in the cleanup. And I admit I would be oone of the non-participaters. These days I am so busy between work and home that I have only wetted a line once since last August, and that was at a work function.

When I was PA last year I read how PA was almost totally stripped of lumber by the great depression and it was through an initiative by Teddy Roosevelt during the Great Depression that work camps were started to replant trees and restore the forests, as well as create jobs for these struggling men and feed them and teach them to work. Too bad with the economy the way it is now that our government doesn't use such tactics.

FW

Archived