They're Back !!!

Well, i was just getting some clothes ready for my daughter when i heard the sound. Looked out the window, and lo and behold, my ears were right, a beatiful Cedar Waxwing!!! :Gonefishing: I am hoping it is making a nest in the small oak tree out front of my daughters window as it did have a piece of grass in its mouth (beak). I have had a waxwing family within a few houses now for 2 years, this being the third. Here is picture of one, no i didn't take it, i copied from wikipedia

240px-Cedar_Waxwing-27527-1.jpg

I saw them about a month ago. Not sure when they usually arrive but I have been enjoying them on Merit Island for about 2 weeks. I tell my kids they're birds from "The Incredible s" movie due to the eye band.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw 4 Bohemian Waxwings at my work. Starting about a month ago.... They are normally native to Western Canada but can migrate as far east a Quebec.. They seem to be attracted to the berry bushes growing by my work since I have seem them almost every day..

Cedar waxwings are known to eat the black berries of the hog thorn early in the spring. These left over berries stay on the tree over the winter and thus ferment in the belly of the birds. the birds gorge themselves on the fermenting fruit and become to heavy and drunk to fly :P

• 2 weeks later...
Cedar waxwings are known to eat the black berries of the hog thorn early in the spring. These left over berries stay on the tree over the winter and thus ferment in the belly of the birds. the birds gorge themselves on the fermenting fruit and become to heavy and drunk to fly :D

That's my kind of bird!!!

Cedar waxwings are known to eat the black berries of the hog thorn early in the spring. These left over berries stay on the tree over the winter and thus ferment in the belly of the birds. the birds gorge themselves on the fermenting fruit and become to heavy and drunk to fly :D

A farmer went outside one morning and watched as their cows stumbled and swayed across the field.................................the reason? They were drunk...........................................The hay had been left uncovered in the field for a while and the hay had gathered the moisture and fermented.

A farmer went outside one morning and watched as their cows stumbled and swayed across the field.................................the reason? They were drunk...........................................The hay had been left uncovered in the field for a while and the hay had gathered the moisture and fermented.

I remember reading back in highschool about how some farmers in some places (I think Japan was one) feed beer to the cattle. Also "brewers grains" the leftovers from beer and whiskey production are commonly sold to farmers for animal feed, particularly for dairy cattle.

Ruffed grouse in the fall often eat berries (can't remeber what they are called, they are red) that have fermented. This is why they are so easy to hunt in the fall. They are drunk like the cedar waxwings Chilli posted about. Occasionally when hunting we like to see what they have in their gullet and they are often full of these red berries.

FW

• 2 weeks later...

Saw some on the Welland River tonight. There were tonnes of flycatchers eating mayflies as they hatched.

019-2.jpg

023.jpg

Enjoyed a paddle with a fellow Mod formerly known as IBC. I didn't get skunked :dunno:

Archived