handheld GPS Units

Lakeshore

Hey guys, I am currently looking at different models of handheld GPS units.

I have been looking at Garmin, Magellan, and Lowrance.

Me and my kids are interested in geocaching and I also need a unit for on the water marking.

I am really confused by all the selections, types?? features.

I have between 250-300 to spend. I know that this is not a lot, but it fits my budget right now.

For those geocachers on the board and for all the users of GPS technology, what should I be looking for as far as features go, any particular makes and models.

Your help is greatly appreciated!!

I have one name for you - Garmin!

I have a Garmin Etrex Legend C (C = Colour Display), that I bought new from gpscentral.ca about a year ago. The maps are very detailed, it connects to multiple satelites quickly (even when there is a lot of cloud cover, or I'm hiking deep in a valley), it offers multiple navigation options, and you can mark waypoints (i.e. points of interest, fishing spots, etc.) with ease. It will even do turn-by-turn directions, and lead you to the nearest gas station or resaurant, if need be. You can also enable WAAS (ground stations that work with the satelites to ensure the best accuracy). These models also have the geocaching option, which allows you to enter cache locations and mark them once they're found...

The software, Mapsource, is user friendly, and there are many different, highly detailed maps available (you can even purchase/download nautical charts for the Great Lakes). Mapsource also allows you to view maps in Google Earth, so you can get a good satelite view of where you're hiking/fishing.

A friend bought the updated model to mine, the CX, and it has an SD memory slot, which means all of your different maps are right there at your fingertips. He paid about $210CA, after tax and shipping (Patrickb - he's on here too!).

Bottom line is, everyone I've talked, including friends who work in electronics, say there's nothing better than a Garmin.

If you have any other questions, PM me, or post away!

Garmin Etrex HCX

Cheers,

Eric

I just gave the father-in-law a E-trex legend that I had because he is getting into geocaching also. He was going to buy the etrex summit but after trying this out it filled his needs 100%

I used this on water but it didn't have the topo map but it still marked waypoints.

The summit has a basemap feature that you might like. Believe it or not Wally world has some decent prices on these units and if you want to buy stateside Gander Mountain has some good prices.

E-trex legend 100% ........Cheap, reliable,easy to use, industructable I've dropped mine on my fibre glass floor a 100 times.......I've had mine at least 5-6 years...........I paid under $100 at Canadian Tire on sale...........Love it........JHM

Archived