Detroit river?????????

jhm123452000

Been up to fish the Detroit many times. Action will start very shortly. Usually beginning the start of April to mid April. Finesse minnows,thumper tails from Yum or even the Samurai from Yum work very well. Drag these baits with 1/4

to 1/2 ounce jig heads. If you plan on fishing this body of water. You are better off to purchase a Michigan State License. Their are days which the fishing is better on the other side. You can get this license right off line. You can also print it that day off of your computer. Not uncommon to get 60-70 eyes in a given day when the fishing is hot.

Hey fishin-nut: Want to go? I'm sure there are some good shore fishing spots. Anybody know some. Take a weekend and go. What is the season for the Detroit River pickerel. Good fishing. Scottydog

Hey Scottydog,the season is open all year but like the Niagara sometimes it makes it really tough to fish because of the Ice flows. You can fish them from shore but we normally fish them out of a boat ,you cover more water and also you need to get them off of the break. I usually go once to twice a year as of yet I haven't planned on it yet but I might go up . Been invited to do a walleye tournament so I'm thinking in prefishing around April. Yes 60-70 eyes is really not uncommon if you know what you are doing . I once had three guys in the boat and we lost count on the number of fish. Average fish size is around 3 lbs. Very easy to fish . the trick is to always bump bottom and try to keep your offering as vertical as possible. 4" soft plastic imitations work best.Just make sure you have alot jig heads. I prefer the darter type head for this type of fishing rather then the ballhead.

Come on soft water

Has anyone ever fished the Detroit river for spring walleye............Might borrow a buddies boat and give it a try..........JHM :lol:

11959[/snapback]

Hey guys I check the river ever day things are going to be a little behind this year. I will post when they start hitting. Last year I fished on boxing day. This year there was 5" of ice. If you can get down it is worth the trip. It will be close to the 20th March this year before you can fish without ice in the river. The biggest problem is you will launch and head down river and a large piece will break off in Lake St Clair and prevent you from coming back to the Marina. Once the ice goes out I am there mmost days and I will be sure to keep you updated.

Archived