Rice Lake in July

Tom Chopin

Just uploading some pictures on a rainy day and thought I'd throw up some holiday pics.

Spent a week at a cottage on Rice Lake in July and the following weekend as well. Much like the rest of the province the weeds were behind a few weeks and weather changed daily. The fishing was decent but tough to find the big bites. The walleye seem to be making a good comeback. Caught at least one a day in the bass weeds. One boat from the cottages caught 70-80 walleyes for the week. The panfish guys were off a little this year, the one group I chatted with brought 5000 wax worms with them and only were taking home 500-600 where in the past they were up over 1000 fish(it was a big group). Too much work cleaning those things in my opinion! <_<

A couple pics to pass a sunday afternoon.

CIMG0085.jpg

CIMG0111.jpg

CIMG0105.jpg

Thanks.

Smallie was just over 4 pounds and came up 4 times on a topwater before finally hitting the bait. I think they have poor eyesight because he missed by almost a foot the one time and jumped right over the bait on another. :)

Largie was three and a half.

I am suprised the smallie saw the bait at all with all the weeds. LOL!!! I was there four years ago with the wife and had a hard time locating fish. Which weed bed to fish? The weeds are everywhere. I ran into a local and asked him what bait works the best and he held up a buzz bait and said that was pretty much the only lure he liked to use. So on went the buzzbaits and it actually saved our trip. Nice going on the bass there Tom. Did you hear any large muskies sufacing while you were up there. They were surfacing like crazy when we went up there. We also had an algae bloom. Was that going on too?

RB

I did fish the 'sand bars' and they were still there, but only a couple 1 1/2 pound largies in prefish and windblown come tournament time. The weeds were barely there to hold fish. Can't make it for the Rice event this weekend to defend our title but the spot should be good now.

Chilli, the weather wasn't much better up there. Just happened to get lucky with a break in the clouds for that pic. Wore a sweater most of the week.

Archived