Fishing yesterday

Erik.T.

My quest for sheepshead has taken me to a many cool places. But as of yet, none of these places have produced any freshwater drum.

Rockbass on a curlytail

Eriksfish001.jpg

A large bluegill

Eriksfish002.jpg

a smallmouth

Eriksfish007.jpg

So I am still searching for sheepshead

I also went to port d and caught 5 small rockbass, 3 gobies and a small smallmouth.

This post has been modified for the visually impaired.

Nice bass! Well I believe I told you once before but, try port maitland off the pier! My friends went there 2 weeks ago and caught about 15 in hour an half he said. Im trying to get out there tonight if i can. Ill let you know how i do if i get any. Good luck on your search, you will get them!

Nice bass! Well I believe I told you once before but, try port maitland off the pier! My friends went there 2 weeks ago and caught about 15 in hour an half he said. Im trying to get out there tonight if i can. Ill let you know how i do if i get any. Good luck on your search, you will get them!

I did try port maitland a couple weeks ago (river side) but again only got a goby.

saw some big fat sheepies at martindale pond lately plus some mirror carp to boot

MIRRORS did you say mirrors. I have not caught one this year.

Erik Why not give pier 8 in Hamilton Harbour. At the derby this past weekend some pretty big ones were caught.

Erik Why not give pier 8 in Hamilton Harbour. At the derby this past weekend some pretty big ones were caught.

Thanks I will try that! what was used for bait?

I caught a huge one in the rec canal a couple days ago. I was targeting bass with crayfish. Site fishing. The sheepshead and bass both went for it but the sheeper was more aggressive. As soon as the crayfish disappeared from site, I set the hook. Lots of fun on ultralite tackle and he swam for another day. I'd have to be desperate to eat that.

Nice fish erik, try the desjardines canal in hamilton. That place is stupidly easy to catch a sheep, i've caught them on everything, worms and corn while fishing for carp, and hell i even lost one when i using boilies, i was shocked.

Anyway good look, and like hammercarp said, try pier 8 also, i was working the weigh station, and i saw oodles of sheeps being caught. They were using worms, and a couple of guys were using minnows.

yeah saw a couple of fully scaled swimming by

fish minnows in stalled water in queenston youll catch garbage can lid sized sheeps , i caught them this year up to 8 lbs was the biggest but caught plenty more if thats your things i hit em on drop shotin minnows on small #8 daiichii hooks single minnow through the mouth infront of the jet boat dock go get em you herders LOL they fight hard hold on tight

Hamilton Bay is just stuffed with 10lb sheepies this year, from the Bayfront boat ramp to Discovery Centre/Pier 8 anywhere there is deep water you'll hook into them. Deep suspending jerk baits have been money for me, once you zone in on them you can land a dozen in a few hours.

HammerTown002.jpg

There are some bigger ones, but I haven't caught my 20 yet.

May_06Pike008.jpg

It’s refreshing to see many anglers here enjoy catching sheepshead (Erik, we gotta get you a drum before ice sets in!). They have been in the province for thousands of years and, as many of us know, if caught on the right tackle, make for a great fight. The added bonus is that zebra mussels make up an important part of their diet. Nice drum, buddy! I caught a few last night and this morning. I love em! (and I´m not afraid to proclaim that publicly). :dunno:

Try the Grand River itself, anywhere from the dam in Dunnville to the mouth... if you don't catch a drum there then your doing something seriously wrong. Sheephead are like crap, they eat almost anything and are very easy to catch.

BS

Try the Grand River itself, anywhere from the dam in Dunnville to the mouth... if you don't catch a drum there then your doing something seriously wrong. Sheephead are like crap, they eat almost anything and are very easy to catch.

I dont know if you read all of the other thread but why would you bring this up???

Archived