Fooling around with epoxy

RoeBaggin

Hey everyone I thought I would share with you my adventures in Rod Marbling. I, not too long ago found a fishing rod in the garbage with only three inches of the top broken off. The rod is a Shimano Aero rod? one piece and is ex fast action rated 8-17lb. This is a perfect jiggin rod which is what I plan to use it for. It is also a perfect rod for me to fool around with, seeing as it didn't cost me a penny. I have to give a thank you to Tom Chopin for giving me the Fuji Alconite guides of a broken rod he had. :lol: Anyways here are the results! Copper Metalic was the base and white and metalic silver were the marbling agents. The pictures do not even come close to how nice the rod turned out! I really glitters in the sunlight. Pay no attention to the fit and finish of this rod as I didn't take any special care to make the rod "perfect" as this was an experiment. Options are endless and I have a long ways to go before I can classify myself as competent. LOL!

RB

DSCF5052.jpg

DSCF5063.jpg

DSCF5044.jpg

DSCF5045.jpg

DSCF5046.jpg

DSCF5047.jpg

DSCF5037.jpg

DSCF5038.jpg

No Joe it doesn't create any fish catching benefits, but it may help pass the time between bites by staring at the cool little marbling designs. LOL

Arkangel the rod is complete! I can't really show you a pic of the whole rod because I have to stand so far away to get the whole rod in the pic.

Here are a couple other designs I have played with on an old broken piece of rod.

RB

DSCF5067.jpg

DSCF5068.jpg

DSCF5070.jpg

DSCF5071.jpg

Arkangel In those last two I had posted the epoxy was not even. I know how to even it out when it comes time to put onto a rod. But when you are extperimenting that stuff does not really become a concern. The design is what takes precedent. The epoxy used is rod epoxy of any kind mixed with pigment like testors enamel. It takes practise and I am not even close to tapping into the many designs that can be created. Keep in mind that I built this rod and I know how thick to put it on etc etc etc. Trial and error (lots of it will lead to success).

RB

Arkangel In those last two I had posted the epoxy was not even. I know how to even it out when it comes time to put onto a rod. But when you are extperimenting that stuff does not really become a concern. The design is what takes precedent. The epoxy used is rod epoxy of any kind mixed with pigment like testors enamel. It takes practise and I am not even close to tapping into the many designs that can be created. Keep in mind that I built this rod and I know how thick to put it on etc etc etc. Trial and error (lots of it will lead to success).

RB

Im going to have to give this a try some time!!!

Thanks for the interesting thread

Jacob

Hey dugger, who is this fuhrman that you speak of? You have peaked my interest. And by no means am I being sarcastic.

RB

Don was THE custom rod builder in Niagara in the 70s and 80s, he had a house he sold from and took orders on Hartzel Road up near Dairy Queen. I bought all my blanks off him and he started me on rod building. He worked at GM. Very nice guy. I have no clue though on how he is today.

Archived