Boilies Question

Luvevolution

Where can I buy the materials, and cost to make my own boilies and is it cost effective or cheaper to buy at Peter's Tackle? Thanks in advance, Rich.

just wondering because the recipes I've seen say to use semolina powder and soy flour (I believe) and the local A&P (Geneva/Lakeshore) doesn't carry those products. just wondering if there's something else I can use as the basic mixture, or if there's somewhere else I can buy the stuff I need and how much it costs to buy. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Rich

just wondering because the recipes I've seen say to use semolina powder and soy flour (I believe) and the local A&P (Geneva/Lakeshore) doesn't carry those products. just wondering if there's something else I can use as the basic mixture, or if there's somewhere else I can buy the stuff I need and how much it costs to buy. any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Rich

You can get the ingredients at the Bulk Barn, there is one on Geneva St. You can buy boilies at Pete's as well. I have never made my own boilies, steeler would know more that me. Maybe send him a PM. Also here is a link to our carp angling club http://www.carpanglersgroup.com/. Good luck.

Yes I know it's before 6am I was supposed to go fishing with someone this morning but I have cancelled do to T storms.

Rich

You dont have to use semolina, and soy. I use a very very simple base mix for boilies. They don't turn out as hard, but can easily stay on the hair/hook for at least an hr. (i switch every 30-45 mins anyway, to keep the boilies fresh)

Ingredients you need for the basemix:

-Eggs (2-3)

-2 cups all purpose flour (just the normal white one)

Thats all. :lol:

After you make the base mix, you can then add any flavoring you want. Just dont over due it with the flavoring. For instnace, a really good sweetener is kool-aid, for that amount of basemix, you only need 1 packet, 2 is over kill.

Some good sweetners to use:

-Vanilla

-strawberry/cherry/pineapple/peach (theres other fruit flavors, just stay away from anything bitter)

-Cinnamon (this is my favorite)

-Maple

-Anise

(this list could go on forever)

Once you've picked your flavor of choice, roll them into 10-15mm (or bigger if you, want, but no bigger than 20mm) balls, and boil for 2-3 mins, till they start to float. Once they float they're done, take'em outta the water, and put them on like a cookie sheet, with paper towels on them, and let them dry out. Once all dried put'em in a ziplock and toss in the fridge. They will last forever in the fridge. Also when going fishing, i personally like to bring a cooler bag, with some ice packs to keep the boilies nice and cold, that way they stay and nice and tough before u put them on the hook/hair, and then become nice and soft when they are in the water. (dont worry it will stay just fine on the hook for atleast an hr, but like i mentioned above, i change them every 30-45 mins anyway, because they start to smell like the lake bottom, and i feel that makes them lose their appeal, so i change them, you dont have too, thats up to you :D)

A lot of boilie recipes are complicated, and call for various ingredients, which is good but sometimes hard to get all the ingredients. So what your gonna be making there is a doughball, that you boil (and this is why i call them boilies, because you dont boil doughballs), and it does become very firm. I've personally had good luck with my home made stuff, i caught my PB on them.

Anyway, if you need help with coming up with a recipe or whatever, send me a pm, id be glad to help :dunno:

P.s. If your going to be using boilies, i recommend you defiantly use the hair rig. They are a breeze to tie. Just watch this short vid and your good to go

Enjoy. :blink:

thanks for the Bulk Barn info Hammer. I never even thought of that. it's worth checking out, but Steeler just gave me a recipe where I shouldn't have to use those ingredients. I am gonna go check it out anyway and see what they have and how much it costs. and thank you for the link to your carp club. I will check it out for sure.

Steeler..........awesome, awesome, awesome. think I've stated that it's awesome, enough yet? LOL. can't thank you enough for that recipe. I really do appreciate the help. I've read all kinds of different websites about boilies, but they all say to use semolina and soy products. nowhere did it say I could use substitutes. all of them were talking about high protein and aviod anything bitter, since they seem to have a sweet tooth. on that note, I had a bit of a brain wave. LOL. let me know what you think. along with the basic ingredients, I was thinking back to the days when my buddies were working out and using protein shakes to work out with. the powder is available at most health food shops and has different flavours. since the carp sites were talking about vanilla flavouring, this shake powder comes with a vanilla flavouring already in it. I was also thinking about back when I had kids and using formula, such as Nestle good start. it's a soy based product(I believe, but will check), that's high in all kinds of nutrients and protein.

just a thought anyway. just figured I would give anything I catch a bit of an energy bonus for being caught by me. we both win. LOL. thanks for all your info guys. I really do appreciate your help. I'm gonna get cooking shortly.

thanks for the Bulk Barn info Hammer. I never even thought of that. it's worth checking out, but Steeler just gave me a recipe where I shouldn't have to use those ingredients. I am gonna go check it out anyway and see what they have and how much it costs. and thank you for the link to your carp club. I will check it out for sure.

Steeler..........awesome, awesome, awesome. think I've stated that it's awesome, enough yet? LOL. can't thank you enough for that recipe. I really do appreciate the help. I've read all kinds of different websites about boilies, but they all say to use semolina and soy products. nowhere did it say I could use substitutes. all of them were talking about high protein and aviod anything bitter, since they seem to have a sweet tooth. on that note, I had a bit of a brain wave. LOL. let me know what you think. along with the basic ingredients, I was thinking back to the days when my buddies were working out and using protein shakes to work out with. the powder is available at most health food shops and has different flavours. since the carp sites were talking about vanilla flavouring, this shake powder comes with a vanilla flavouring already in it. I was also thinking about back when I had kids and using formula, such as Nestle good start. it's a soy based product(I believe, but will check), that's high in all kinds of nutrients and protein.

just a thought anyway. just figured I would give anything I catch a bit of an energy bonus for being caught by me. we both win. LOL. thanks for all your info guys. I really do appreciate your help. I'm gonna get cooking shortly.

I'm glad i was able to help you. :dunno:. You should join the carp anglers group (i'm a paying member there, but you can register for free :blink:) there are many great anglers over there that wont hesitate to give you a hand, they've basically taught me everything i know. It's great over there.

Anyway, i've thought about using protein shakes as flavoring/ingredient, because my dad uses them religiously lol. But, they are expensive, and im not sure how they affect the dough. Because, if its too thin, you will have a disaster on your hands, its happened to me before. One time i decided to use too much maple syrup, and the end result was not good. It took me 3 batches, before i got it down, because i tend to rush and make dumb mistakes lol. But yea, those are simple and basic recipes, but i can tell you if you use better ingredients like semolina/soy products i'd imagine the baits would be better, but I've caught on my boilies, so i do know they work. I've bought some semolina recently, and im gonna go pick up some soy and a few other things, because i want to mess around with that lol. Since im a broke college student, i cant really afford to make mistakes. hehe.

Also another tip that i found extremely useful, was making your own boilie stops and baiting needle. This is also insanely easy, and best of all cheap as hell.

To make a boilie/baiting needle get a big jig head (ive also used smaller sizes, i dont think it matters) straighten it out so it looks like a needle, BUT DO NOT BEND THE BARB!! I cant stress that enough, i've wasted many jigheads that way lol. The reason you dont want to bend the barb is because thats the part that holds the loop on the jig head, and then allows you to slide the boilie on. Very easy, all you need is pliers and a few jig heads. (as i tend to misplace them quite often lol). To make boilie stops (which you insert in the loop at the top of the bait to hold it in place) is get a toothpick (the round thick kind, not the flat thin ones) and cut off a small piece (DO NOT USE THE POINTY PART!, cant stress that enough.) roughly one inch, or an inch and a half, and then once its in the loop (after your bait of choice is on the hair), pull the bait into the toothpick so its kinda submerged into the boilie, not too deep because then you will break the boilie. And voila you are ready.

In that video i posted, its a euro style video which talks about special hooklink material, which you dont really need, BUT if you do spend the money on it, it will pay off.

If you want to construct a hair rig with the current gear you got, its easy. Buy some swivels (try and get them in black, rather than a bright color) attach that swivel to your mainline. Cut a piece off a spool of line you have, you kinda want it to be of higher breaking resistance that your mainline, but I've use the same line on my spool, for my hooklink with success. I recommend braided line for your mainline, for 2 reasons. 1)because it is much stronger 2)and has a very thin line diameter.

So for example, if you are using 12lb monofilament, you might want to use 15-18lb for the hooklink, or you could buy some heavy braid (like 20-30lb) and use that for a hooklink. Doesnt really matter, what ever type of line you wanna use is just fine. Another tip, is to use heavy weights, if your fishing with a 6 foot rod (or a rod other than a carp rod) you might want to use 1oz to 1.5oz of weight (which you place on your mainline before the swivel) for the "bolt" effect. There are also carp "leads" (leads = sinkers) that come in various sizes. The reason you want heavy weight, is to make sure the carp hooks itself when it picks up the hair rig, very effective.

But yea, it all seems complicated but its really not, ive been doing this since june (it looked very daunting when i started lol), but just do some reading, and some trial and error, and soon enough you will be into some carp.

Hope this helps, and happy cooking! (thats my favorite part of carp fishing)

or you could buy them from peters :dunno:

that's the other option. LOL. they are cheap enough at 4 bucks for a small bag. the only problem I foresee with that, is if the carp don't like the flavour, you are screwed out of 4 bucks. LOL. at least this way, I can make a few batches of different flavours and see which one works the best.

that's the other option. LOL. they are cheap enough at 4 bucks for a small bag. the only problem I foresee with that, is if the carp don't like the flavour, you are screwed out of 4 bucks. LOL. at least this way, I can make a few batches of different flavours and see which one works the best.

the problem with boilies is that they dont fit good on the hook if you want help rigging them is contact hairwig or hammercarp they'll explain it more i dont use the boilies cause corn and bread is easier for me to get since theres a avondale right beside my carp spot so i just pop right in and get my bait

the problem with boilies is that they dont fit good on the hook if you want help rigging them is contact hairwig or hammercarp they'll explain it more i dont use the boilies cause corn and bread is easier for me to get since theres a avondale right beside my carp spot so i just pop right in and get my bait

Yep good advice, those two are the guys you want to talk to about proper rigs. I'm still new at this.

But defiantly try out boilies on the hair rig.

Yep good advice, those two are the guys you want to talk to about proper rigs. I'm still new at this.

But defiantly try out boilies on the hair rig.

I'm sure both of those guys are the guru's of carp on here and Steeler has been more than gracious with his help thus far. I really do appreciate it guys. when my experiance grows, I hope I can return the favour that they have bestowed onto me, to someone else when they ask for it. that's what this is all about, right?

ok, so now I have another question. LOL. after watching the video on how to tie the hair rig, it leaves me asking a question about the bolt rig. do I have to use a bolt rig, or can I get away with just tying a 1 ounce sinker to the line about 12 inches or so from the hair rig? that to me seems simpler to do but not sure, which is why I'm asking. thanks guys.

ok, so now I have another question. LOL. after watching the video on how to tie the hair rig, it leaves me asking a question about the bolt rig. do I have to use a bolt rig, or can I get away with just tying a 1 ounce sinker to the line about 12 inches or so from the hair rig? that to me seems simpler to do but not sure, which is why I'm asking. thanks guys.

you could all the hair rig is, is a different way to present bait but if you want auto hook sets i would keep the sinker 4-6" from hook well thats what i use

You're coming along great. Before you know you'll have caught a 20 then you'll want a 25 etc.... In order to achive a good hook set you should use a minimun 2 oz. But if you don't have a rod that can handle casting 2+ ounces then use what you can efficiently cast with your rod. As bassmaster said keep the hook link short. Good luck.

i rarely ever use more than a 4" hooklink, and usually 2.5-3oz of weight depending on where im fishing. boilies can be expensive if your buying them, and i also found if your fishing places where boilies aren't used alot, then your chances will be lowered. I feel they need to be acustomed to the bait. Which can turn out to you using a crap load of boilies. Just my opinion. Field corn softened and flavoured on the hair is my favourite.

Archived