Might Have been the Derby Winner

Hula Popper

Was out on Lake Ontario last night with a buddy and we did quite well. Went 2 for 4 all on stinger spoons (silver and red) in 82 FOW. Launched out of Bronte at 5:30 pm and fishing till 11:30. Got the riggers set up and dropped one line in at about 5:45 and with in 5 minutes we had a hook up, the waves were brutal yesterday peeking in at just under 3 feet but it helped the fishing. We were trolling 80 feet back and 50 down when we hooked up. All in all a windy but beautiful day to be out. We marked tonnes of fish all in the range of 40 to 80 FOW large schools but skattered everywhere, we also marked fish coming up the river but aren't sure if it was salmon or carp. Anyways here's a few pictures from last night.

Picture posted of the fish is our biggest one that might have won the derby if we entered...... 41" length and 26" gurth, by doing the math it came out to 34.64 lbs and I believe the leader board is 33.48 lbs. We could have had a nice prize with this brut.

DSC07192.jpg

DSC07193.jpg

013.jpg

020.jpg

That was a huge salmon. I would have taken the skeen and gave the steaks to my farmer that lets me hunt (he's too old to worry about contaminants :( ) . If they are going to continue to breed salmon that big they're going to have to start to sell bigger nets in area tackle stores!!!

Hows the arms, ready for another?

Welcome to the Tyee club! Nice fish! How long did it take you to bring her in?

now theres something you dont hear everyday tyee which those who dont know it means and salmon over 30lbs

Thanks guy for the comments, it really was a big fish. Time wise was about 20-25 minutes to land her, the huge swells didn't help as well as the strong current pushing us away from her but she did make it in the boat. Funny thing is she was ready to go as so as we released her, full of life still.

Chilli: It barely fit in the net, I was going to bring mine but my buddy had his in the boat already so we used it, good thing for that because I don't think it would have fit into my net.

All in all we're pissed off that we didnt enter the derby but still happier then a pig in mud for catching her.

Dang that's a HAWG of a hen, and plenty dark too. Definitely woulda been worth a chunk of change if entered.

Lol I've met your buddy holding the fish casting on pier plenty of times (I'm the guy that used to go out in the canoe solo), lol I even remember him going on about not entering the derby last year, just money down the drain he was sayin'..... :dunno:

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thats a totally sick fish..... that must have ben awsome to catch... should have kept it and put it on your wall.... nice nice nice fish good job!!

Thanks guy for the comments, it really was a big fish. Time wise was about 20-25 minutes to land her, the huge swells didn't help as well as the strong current pushing us away from her but she did make it in the boat. Funny thing is she was ready to go as so as we released her, full of life still.

Chilli: It barely fit in the net, I was going to bring mine but my buddy had his in the boat already so we used it, good thing for that because I don't think it would have fit into my net.

All in all we're pissed off that we didnt enter the derby but still happier then a pig in mud for catching her.

oh well could have been worse. You could have not caught the fish or caught the fish but not had a camera! I still need to get a salmon.

• 2 weeks later...

This is Pierre.. Met Rick last Saturday, first time this year. but know of him and u from end of season last year.

He mentioned the post and had to see 4 myself. WOW what a big Salmon

Hey if UR talking with Rick let him know im coming down Friday night around 9-10pm for the night or most of it. Hope to see him/u on the wall lighthouse side.. I'll give U/him my # in a private msg. or email just let me know...

Till them happy fishing and many more 30lb'ers...... :angry2::Gonefishing:

flyingtoo, ( Pierre )

Archived