our day at the BAR

Guest squig69

Guest squig69

a few of us decided to head out and try drifting the bar to see how the laker bit was going. having never been there all i can say is that (in my best Treminator voice) I'll Be Back! 5 min into the first drift i hook into a big laker but was lost at the boat. heres the 1st of the day caught by Frenchy

5985FrenchRiverHitters_laker-med.JPG

then soon after he landed this one

5985frenchys_2nd-med.JPG

next, it was Jim's turn and landed this cow

5985JimW_s_1st-med.JPG

and finally i land my first in over 20yrs, not the biggest but a good size.

5985my_first_laker-med.JPG

riding back up the river in a snow storm was not what i had in mind but thats fishing for ya in the middle of winter and an awesome day to boot.

chris

good job guys!!

now i know what i missed when those ice flows prevented us from getting out to the bar.... those are some beauty fish and i hear it's only gonna get better :)

Guest squig69

spanky

it was worth the wait and had a great time

Tommy

fish i lost was on a tube and the rest were on minnows. man, i didnt think these fish had a big a mouth as they do.

chirs

Guest yo fish

looks like you had an excellent day. I had a day last early Dec. with 30+ fish in a couple of hrs. 1 or 2 with every drift I thought I was in heaven.From the pictures the water looked calm yet the weather networks history said -2 to-4 with 10 to 15 KM from the north late morning to early afternoon Sunday. was your excellent day Sat. or Sun.? How was the ice on the way to the bar and at the bar?

Squig....were you out on SAturday at queenston? Thought I saw you out in the boat! Looked like you anyways! I was the guy at the far end of the drift on shore...was in all orange! The one fixing his line all the time? LOL

Guest squig69

yofish

we were out on saturday and the weather was almost perfect till the ride back up river, as soon as we started packing things away to make the trek back up it was like we hit a wall of snow. there were a few good size chunks of ice floating around at the bar but were easily spotted and the ride down and back up was good as in no ice (just a bit of slush here and there)

that was you! it seemed like every time we drifted by you were busy with something. i was thinking to myself that "this guy is not having a good day at all". figured you were retieing after a snag. i lost quite a bit of stuff on snags that day myself and felt like i had to retie after every drift. next time say hello.

chris

Guest squig69

yo fish

1 thing i forgotto do this year with the boat (if thats what your doing) was to check out the weather reports. i was planning on going to the bar a couple weeks ago and i think laketrout posted to check the weather for the day and was a good thing i did as they were reporting 40km/h winds. needless to say i changed my mind and stayed up river. good luck at the bar.

chris

Guest yo fish

Thanks for the advice, and I have 15 N as well if it was worst I'd fish inside as you said.May the fishing gods shine on my boat tomorrow.I'll post when I get back.

squig...ya I had alot of problems with sangs and my line snapping at the connection from mono line and fireline! Didn't put enought fire line on and the line snapped ...but on the next cast I got all my line back, which was a good thing!

I will say Hi if I recognize you!!

Charlie, do you not find the fireline freezes up a lot at this time of year? I love using braids but assumed it would be difficult to deal with in the winter so I switch to mono.

Some braided lines, especially Fireline, are notorious for this during the cold. I heard that this line in particular absorbs water, hence the freeze up. Fusion, apparently is another line that does the same.

Presently, I use Tuf Line XP and have not experienced any freeze up. Power Pro may be the same!!

Guest chilli

Hey squig your tempting me to throw the life boat into the Niagara! :lol:

Charlie, do you not find the fireline freezes up a lot at this time of year? I love using braids but assumed it would be difficult to deal with in the winter so I switch to mono.

12436[/snapback]

Hey Rick I just run my fireline through a "tea candle" when respooling and the thin layer of wax keeps it from freezing and I don't have to clean my guides either.

Guest chilli

I believe 12 foot by 2 man wide x 1man and 2 women wide if ones on top. Not sure the thin fiberglass transom will withstand the torque of a motor but drifting down Wellanvale in a thong might be ok if Feelgood wants to give drifting for bass a try.

Wait a minute Tommy. :dunno: No way would I take that death trap into the Niagara River. I have too much respect for that machine (the river) let alone the rescue crews that would have to save us. Unless you have the A team coming over to beef it up a bit forget it.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~chili/trolling.jpg :lol:

Guest chilli

It's also very heavy. I don't think I could lift it to the top of the car. I'll be trying as many places as possible this year however Lake E will be my primary stop.

Archived