The elusive sauger

Guest minifisher

Guest minifisher

I was looking at the ontario fishing regulations guide today and under the fish identifications saw a sauger. Ive never seen one and the picture of it was in black and white. I think it must be similar to a walley in color. Have any of you guys caught one?

Guest minifisher

Sorry about the double posting didn't think the first one went through. It sounds like they are scarce that's to bad. I wonder if there eyes glow at night to.

:D I've never personally caught a Sauger, but apparently there are some in the area since the NY State record (4.8lbs) was caught in the Lower Niagara River. They are suppose to be present in Lake Erie & it's tribs as well. BTW in case you are interested the World Record Sauger weighed in at 8lbs 12oz & it was caught in Lake Sakakawea, North Dakota. :)

http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fsrecl5.html

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/Fishin...shid/sauger.htm

http://www.wdaweb.com/sauger.htm

Any sauger that have been caught in the lower or Lake Ontario have all been incedental catches . This fish have just worked their way through the lakes system. Some of your smaller lakes around Lake of the Woods have them as well as Lake Vermillion and most of your Western Lakes in Manitoba ,Alberta and some parts of Saskatchewan. These fish resemble the walleye but have more of a bar configuration to them. They are usually mixed in with the walleye and are very tasty like their cousin the walleye. In some of the Western provinces this fish is actually sought after more then the walleye. Once you locate these fish they can be alot of fun as they school massively like there other cousin the perch. To bad we can't get them down here their a blast to get and again great eating.

Guest erie_guy

I've caught a few in the Groundhog River near Chapleau, about 60 miles west of Timmins. They look like pan-size pickerel. They are mottled to blemd in with the rocky environment, and as someone already said they don't have the white tip in their tail, that's how you tell them apart.

Guest Jeetmuck

I have caught many sauger up in Kenora, so if you don't mind a 24hr drive and some great scenery you would definitely have a great time. Like everyone else has stated, colourations are right on but I haven't caught one down here but they are there. They sure do taste great.

Now I can't wait to go back to Kenora this summer for some great fishing and good times with friends.

Guest christopher

I have caught some in the niagara river by mistake I think not very big

the biggest maybe 6 inches.I even got one last year by the power plant on the 12 mile

Archived