Bronte Pier

Backwoods

I hit the Pier last night for the first time this year. I have been out in the boat fishing off Port Credit and have only had an average year for salmon fishing. there is something to be said for casting glow spoons at night for salmon land locked. It is kind of relaxing, that being said I did not catch a single fish. I arrived at 8:10pm and left at 10:10pm. I only saw a single salmon caught on a glow spoon and very little fish jumping.

The salmon should be tight to the mouth by now you would think however I think the east winds have blown in too much warm water to attract a lot of the salmon in tight.

Lets hope the next outing will fill some memory on my camera.

Judging by the way this year is going all around on the piers I have to think that our chinook stocks are on the decline the last few years. By now the piers should have already peaked and be on the decline even. There is no way its just a late year. I went to Dalhousie the 1 day last week got 1 smaller very nice silver chinook and that was the only fish off the wall in the 4 hours I was there also not a single jump. In years past I fish the piers only in August and by the 1st week Sept. I start river fishing sucessfully in the pool. The last few years it just seems it takes alot more work to get our early run salmon. Maybe the boaters have more insight on the salmon stocks as I only begin in august when they start staging.

Judging by the way this year is going all around on the piers I have to think that our chinook stocks are on the decline the last few years. By now the piers should have already peaked and be on the decline even. There is no way its just a late year. I went to Dalhousie the 1 day last week got 1 smaller very nice silver chinook and that was the only fish off the wall in the 4 hours I was there also not a single jump. In years past I fish the piers only in August and by the 1st week Sept. I start river fishing sucessfully in the pool. The last few years it just seems it takes alot more work to get our early run salmon. Maybe the boaters have more insight on the salmon stocks as I only begin in august when they start staging.

I have been fishing in the Toronto Salmon Derby for almost 20 years and I have defiantly seen the size of the fish that have been weighed in drop over the years. I also keep a journal of the salmon we catch while fishing in the derby and looking back over the past 5 years the number of "quality" salmon caught have dropped for US.

Looks like the 46 pound salmon will stand for the Ontario record for quite some time.

From what I heard yesterday from the guys out on the lake, surface temp was 68, temp down 60' over 120 was 65. That is why the fishing is slow. The water is too warm.

When they start changing they become fairly temp tolerant, darker they are less temp matters. But light levels do, water is too calm & clear for Bronte to hold staging fish if the river is high. Next good storm or strong wind to muddy up the water some will bring some Nooks in range of the piers.

they have been in staging since 3rd week of august. CLofChik is very correct.

staging dark kings are not temperate intollerant.

i catch them in the 70 degree water during the end of august.

by this point, if there was a "main" run, its done.

they were jumping pretty good in Port D last night. I couldn't hook into any though, but was a fun night anyway.

they were jumping pretty good in Port D last night. I couldn't hook into any though, but was a fun night anyway.

See any caught? Everyone I have talked to has had a below average year so far.

Also with Port or the pool river levels right now are almost irrelevant to salmon runs, but we are still looking at the start of a slow season from what I see. 10-15 years ago right on the now calender a dozen silver fish on the bank would have been an normal night/day.

I didn't see any caught, but I was fishing where they were jumping at the parking lot on Lighthouse Road. there were guys fishing the end of the pier, so it's possible they were hooking into them out there. can't answer for sure though.

I'm heading out in an hour or so and not coming back until I slap one on the concrete, best wind we've had in weeks. Bronte, Port, Lift Bridge...one of them has to cough up something, I'm tired of this crappy September kicking my arse!

I'm heading out in an hour or so and not coming back until I slap one on the concrete, best wind we've had in weeks. Bronte, Port, Lift Bridge...one of them has to cough up something, I'm tired of this crappy September kicking my arse!

anyone hear from CLofchik? :dunno: not back yet i guess. could be a while too from what i'm hearing from the piers. hope he packed a lunch. :dunno:

Bronte Creek might be worth a look... especially if any of the Mon, Tues and Wed rains develop. I heard that they shot up the week of the the Vaughan tornadoes and made it as far as Dundas that time. Missed the boat though. Hopefully I'm well enough to get out by then.

Alex

anyone hear from CLofchik? :dunno: not back yet i guess. could be a while too from what i'm hearing from the piers. hope he packed a lunch. :dunno:

Nada, zip, bupkiss. Wind wasn't blowing as hard as I thought it would be, nothing seen off three piers in 9 hours.

I've lost the will to fish. Might head east tonight.

Archived