Grimsby Coyote

dave524

Just saw another Grimsby coyote, 1:30 in the afternoon. My daughter works at the Casablanca Winery Inn on the west side of town by the QEW. I was coming along the north service road past the truck stop, had just passed where Casa Blanca meets the service road and it crosses the service road coming from the lake side near where a large culvert goes under the road and stands on a laneway that goes in to a couple of homes that sit between the commercial buildings and Casa Blanca.

I quickly picked up my daughter but it had disappeared into a weedy field and brush by the time we returned 2 minutes later.

There seems to be a pack that lives in the brush just east of the DND Rifle Range at Fifty Point, if you watch you can see them out mousing in the fields under the radio transmission towers there occasionly. There is a blocked off dead end road there that is a popular place for people to walk their dogs, some day something is going to happen as these animals have little fear wandering around in the middle of the day in close proximity to human traffic.

Just saw another Grimsby coyote, 1:30 in the afternoon. My daughter works at the Casablanca Winery Inn on the west side of town by the QEW. I was coming along the north service road past the truck stop, had just passed where Casa Blanca meets the service road and it crosses the service road coming from the lake side near where a large culvert goes under the road and stands on a laneway that goes in to a couple of homes that sit between the commercial buildings and Casa Blanca.

I quickly picked up my daughter but it had disappeared into a weedy field and brush by the time we returned 2 minutes later.

There seems to be a pack that lives in the brush just east of the DND Rifle Range at Fifty Point, if you watch you can see them out mousing in the fields under the radio transmission towers there occasionly. There is a blocked off dead end road there that is a popular place for people to walk their dogs, some day something is going to happen as these animals have little fear wandering around in the middle of the day in close proximity to human traffic.

START BLASTING!!! :D

I cant wait to run into one small game hunting

Just keep buying houses in these new subdivisions that are forcing them out of their natural habitat.....can't blame the wildlife for not living in the wild anymore.........

That's sure part of it, but the coyote is apparently the most resilient animal on the planet. All efforts to eradicate them or even control their population only results in higher populations. I watched a documentary on them a while ago, and they were even saying that New York city has a sizable population of coyotes right in the midst of urban sprawl. Some farmers are learning too that it's cheaper, and easier to feed them, than try to get rid of them. :Gonefishing:

START BLASTING!!! :Gonefishing:

I cant wait to run into one small game hunting

Unfortunately, virtually all of the town of Grimsby is a no discharge zone.

You want a coyote?? I was a member of a crew in the late 70's that shot quite a few when fur prices would get you $50 to $60 for a good pelt ( a good paying job was $8 a hour back then , so it was like a days pay). When the crew's interest died off and we didn't have the manpower for drives, I switched to calling, with some success. I think you need to step up from the normal small game loads as they can be pretty tough. We got a big dog yote, went 54 pounds on the farm milk scales but they average 35-40 pounds. On drives we used rifles in the 22-250 to .243 class with usually a 4-12 variable scope, if we had to go into the bush to get one a few guys had 12 guages and would load up with BB's or better yet #4 buck.

When calling I liked my heavy barrel 220 Swift with a 4-16 scope, you could really reach out and touch them with that rig.

The rifles we used on drives had the light sporter weight barrels.

If you have access to the outdoor channels watch the show " Predator Quest " that guy is a really good caller, you will learn the calling technique. Get yourself a call or two, practice and some bb's or #4 buck. Try calling at times when you have a good command of the land. That should get you a yote with a minimal cash outlay. There are more around now than when I was big on it. Unfortunately the hides I don't think are worth the time it takes to prepare them , but a hide on the wall is a great trophy.

NOTL is LOADED with coyotes!! I know there is a group of guys that hunt them hard and kill a pile of em every year, but you don't really see a noticable drop in their population. Also we have a ton of foxes here too, saw one just walking down the road last night, didn't really seem to care about anything but its next meal.

Unfortunately, virtually all of the town of Grimsby is a no discharge zone.

You want a coyote?? I was a member of a crew in the late 70's that shot quite a few when fur prices would get you $50 to $60 for a good pelt ( a good paying job was $8 a hour back then , so it was like a days pay). When the crew's interest died off and we didn't have the manpower for drives, I switched to calling, with some success. I think you need to step up from the normal small game loads as they can be pretty tough. We got a big dog yote, went 54 pounds on the farm milk scales but they average 35-40 pounds. On drives we used rifles in the 22-250 to .243 class with usually a 4-12 variable scope, if we had to go into the bush to get one a few guys had 12 guages and would load up with BB's or better yet #4 buck.

When calling I liked my heavy barrel 220 Swift with a 4-16 scope, you could really reach out and touch them with that rig.

The rifles we used on drives had the light sporter weight barrels.

If you have access to the outdoor channels watch the show " Predator Quest " that guy is a really good caller, you will learn the calling technique. Get yourself a call or two, practice and some bb's or #4 buck. Try calling at times when you have a good command of the land. That should get you a yote with a minimal cash outlay. There are more around now than when I was big on it. Unfortunately the hides I don't think are worth the time it takes to prepare them , but a hide on the wall is a great trophy.

Everything you said is very intelligent, but I have hunting for years and years..and shotguns are no good, a good slug is only good at 100 yrds, i cant remember the last time i could even get that close to one. There smart and smell you. Might get odd brave one . I use a 223 rem or a 243 winchester

The shotgun is a viable weapon when calling, I've got them and foxes into archery range from my tree stand at the end of a morning deer hunt. When driving open fields I agree you will not get many opportunities with the limited range of a shotgun but if you drive with blockers on the next concession sometimes depending on the blockers stand a shotgun would be a better choice. I suggest that anyone pattern their shotgun with their chosen buckshot load, some do well, others do not produce a killing pattern. Never tried with slugs, if I anticipated shooting over the 50 yd. effective range of buckshot I had my 6MM. Remington, basically the same round as your .243 Win.

We used to send our pelts back then up to the fur auction in North Bay , my comment about the pelts not being worth the effort to prepare was about the low fur prices today and the time it took to skin out and stretch.

Just keep buying houses in these new subdivisions that are forcing them out of their natural habitat.....can't blame the wildlife for not living in the wild anymore.........

I don't think you'll find one hunter that disagrees with you there Rich. Here's another way of putting it for you. If they continue to manage the habitat the way they are then we better continue to manage wildlife populations. Less bush equals less area for deer, wildturkey and coyote. All these animals trying to share a smaller area doesn't work. Would hunters like to see the housing stop and bush maintained? Damm right! :Gonefishing:

Damn things are everywhere... herd them going crazy by my house last night and i live in the city... its scarry... they will attack you right???

No I dont think so, there not like wolves or anything , I never heard of any coyote attacks ,but I have heard if them attacking or even eating your pet! You make a little bit of noise and they will run...there pretty wimpy animals when it comes to humans.

I just said to my Wife while on a walk last night that I haven't heard them in quite some time. We were then woken up about 3 hours later by 6 or 7 yelping coyotes who probably just iced a cat or rabbit. They were right in the neighbourhood.

Archived