Migratory fishky's

alexthegrrr8

that's fishing bronte in the fall, i have seen anything from treble hooks to size 5-6 spinners, a muskie spinner some trolling spoons but have always wondered how hungry a fish must be to attack a lure or roe bag with it's back, tail or a$$, maybe its about time to make ppl take a test to ge their license, just like hunting or driving. it shouold be a privilage not a right for some ppl. i got a question, why would anyone floss, line or snag fish illegally in the fall. just to fish legal in the spring for bows.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dilly you know that area has been a notorious snaggers spot for decades. The original sanctuary was an abuse of fisheries laws but in the governments defense it was initiated to try and contain lugans that were literally stealing local residents lawn furniture and burning it to keep warm at night where they were "fishing" with crickets (the 3 pronged variety). This year downstream of the park there were 3 stolen lawnchairs within the first week of the shore anglers getting a sniff of fish in the area. The garbage was really pilling up until the city sent someone to pick it up. The water quickly became choked with line and i have caught several salmon with hooks in the head. They can't buy crickets anymore so they make do with a treble anchored with an egg or bell sinker. The slaughter that still goes on in Petro Park is an abomination to legitimate angling. I've seen whole families of snaggers drag a park bench into the river so that dad and the kids could sit mid river while dad instructed the youngsters in how to snag up the salmon as they swam by. Some of the pier crew from Bronte go into the Rebecca St shallows multiple times per season so that they can accumulate a freezer full of chum. What guys are doing from shore at Rebecca St both in the legal to fish section and in the trespass section is snagging for eggs plain and simple. The city is concerned about litter, vandalism, drinking in public and trespass to their park property and the property of private citizens that live in their town. These are concerns that as an Oakville resident I find completely legitimate. I just wish that there was also a concern for the salmon, brown trout and rainbow trout then they could close the Petro Park completely during the fall so as to reduce the slaughter of these prize gamefish from the butchers on shore.

There are lots of legitimate holes on Bronte Creek, some to 8 feet deep and any real angler can fish those spots legally and ethically but because salmon in the river are hard to catch these birds at Petro Park would rather just floss or snag them. And the reason is simple, they need eggs to catch bows later in the season. It's all part of the same mindset that occurs at Dalousie, Oshawa Creek, the Whirlpool, and the common denominator is always eggs. As I have said here, on spoonpullers and floatfishing.net lugan behavior is virtually always centered around the collection of bait eggs and it's time to follow Ohio's lead and ban the use of roe as bait altogether. Snidley

Snidley - I thought that all people fishing for these salmon are snagging??? But you admit to having caught some fish by the same method that you are saying is so un ethical. Did you floss the fish, or perhaps snag it? You are saying that the park should be closed because three lawn chairs have been stolen??? Are you kidding me???

Since you want to ban the use of roe as bait, what did you use to catch your fish (you know the ones with a treble in the head).

I simply can't believe what I am reading. ANGLERS lobbying to close access to fishing opportunities because of criminal activity. WHY NOT LOBBY FOR ENFORCEMENT???

Then on the other hand we have a guy asking why you care and suggest you should do nothing about it like call enforcement and stop this crap because you might get hurt.

Why not just turn in your licenses, ban fishing and live bait. How about we just stop stocking fish??? Why we always insist the City or OMNR take the easy route and Ban Ban Ban I don't know. What about the carp fishers and pan fish anglers, must they drive farther because criminals are in the creek? Would banning or closing these sections mean a thing to criminals? Get them busted, lobby for enforcement for slit and toss and lobby for EXPENSIVE fines.

We should be lobbying to get rid of the signs for the honest angler. The guy laid off across the road should be able to walk to that stream and catch dinner. I myself would agree with stiffer fines and doubled for a second offense and even worse for a third or more. e don't need more rules, we need more enforcement. I still

haven't given up on that like some others here.

I simply can't believe what I am reading. ANGLERS lobbying to close access to fishing opportunities because of criminal activity. WHY NOT LOBBY FOR ENFORCEMENT???

Then on the other hand we have a guy asking why you care and suggest you should do nothing about it like call enforcement and stop this crap because you might get hurt.

Why not just turn in your licenses, ban fishing and live bait. How about we just stop stocking fish??? Why we always insist the City or OMNR take the easy route and Ban Ban Ban I don't know. What about the carp fishers and pan fish anglers, must they drive farther because criminals are in the creek? Would banning or closing these sections mean a thing to criminals? Get them busted, lobby for enforcement for slit and toss and lobby for EXPENSIVE fines.

We should be lobbying to get rid of the signs for the honest angler. The guy laid off across the road should be able to walk to that stream and catch dinner. I myself would agree with stiffer fines and doubled for a second offense and even worse for a third or more. e don't need more rules, we need more enforcement. I still

haven't given up on that like some others here.

This by far is the most reasonable comment so far in this thread.

If you are not going to enforce regulations then what the hell are they doing with all the money we pay into our licences?

I am sure that a C O could easily hand out enough fines to cover their yearly salary if they really wanted to.

Maybe they should either get paid a commision, or perhaps hire a few extra COs and tell them that their job security is based upon getting out there and laying fines where necessary.

I have fished Bronte since the late seventies and the first time I ever ran across a CO and was asked to produce a license was last September out on the Bronte pier one morning at around 5AM. There were about 6 of us out on the dark pier at that time.

I told the young guy that it was nice to see him but asked why I have never tun into him at Petro Park.

He replied that he was the only CO for all of Halton area and he was spread out to thin.

Pretty stupid if you ask me.

He did say that the year before they had handed out over $2000 in fines at Petro in a couple of hours one day.

I told him if they could do that well he should go there more often. He said that he did not have enough time.

If that makes sense then someone please explain the math to me.

Oh and by the way, as I stated earlier, that NO FISHING SIGN at the bottom of the stairs may have been there in the past bit it was not there the two times I went there. It was replaced sometime after Friday October 2nd.

Guy's things are going to change, I promise you...... Next years slaughter fest is NOT going to happen. I have wrote a comment on a different thread (Fishing Bronte Night) on this forum, check it out... give it a few hours as the mods must review my post's first but again I promise you all that bronte will be a much better place by next year. The program will take effect as of spring 2010, I am the founder of it and I already have an overwhelming response for it from many anglers. I have not posted it out here only due to the fact that some people can't be immature about things and I'm affraid that they will do everything and anything in their powers to stop this program I'm talking about. Let me just say that once in effect the end to poaching and illegal fishing will come to an end. This is NO threat by any means to anyone out here, its a fact and I'm looking so forward to helping my community and the local fishing industry gain Bronte back to what it once was many years ago.

For more info please feel free to contact me as I will be in search of finding a few good men over the winter to come aboard with me.

Dilly you know that area has been a notorious snaggers spot for decades...

It's also the only stretch to legitimately angle for salmon with artificials. You can drift the Clay Banks with roe and get a few hits but if you want to use hardware the only option is the few slow deep areas of the estuary, which is also the area most ardently shut down by a very few NIMBY land owners. If I was selfish I'd love to keep the status quo, you & me can bob quietly alone in our pontoons & canoes and have a whole river to ourselves but I just can't stand to continually watch shore fishing areas shut down. With the new residences going up at Port D it's only a short time before half the harbour will be off limits.

Exactly, it's no different than gun control arguments. Newsflash, people who break laws aren't going to obey new ones. If you banned all fishing in the Humber there will still be numpties who fish the Old Mill. Contrary to all of Hullabaloo Hula's comments Bronte has actually gotten better (though that is very subjective, heh), I don't see anybody seine fishing with volleyball nets or spears anymore. Hell on the pier lure chuckers are actually outnumbering marshmallow plunkers most nights. A regularly emptied garbage can & "Keep Clean Or Else" sign would probably have gone a lot further. But then again this is Oakville, I can't expect too much thought from the Libtard Sheople that inhabit it.

Shame not Nannyism is the best weapon against anglers :o

It's also the only stretch to legitimately angle for salmon with artificials. You can drift the Clay Banks with roe and get a few hits but if you want to use hardware the only option is the few slow deep areas of the estuary, which is also the area most ardently shut down by a very few NIMBY land owners. If I was selfish I'd love to keep the status quo, you & me can bob quietly alone in our pontoons & canoes and have a whole river to ourselves but I just can't stand to continually watch shore fishing areas shut down. With the new residences going up at Port D it's only a short time before half the harbour will be off limits.

Exactly, it's no different than gun control arguments. Newsflash, people who break laws aren't going to obey new ones. If you banned all fishing in the Humber there will still be numpties who fish the Old Mill. Contrary to all of Hullabaloo Hula's comments Bronte has actually gotten better (though that is very subjective, heh), I don't see anybody seine fishing with volleyball nets or spears anymore. Hell on the pier lure chuckers are actually outnumbering marshmallow plunkers most nights. A regularly emptied garbage can & "Keep Clean Or Else" sign would probably have gone a lot further. But then again this is Oakville, I can't expect too much thought from the Libtard Sheople that inhabit it.

Shame not Nannyism is the best weapon against anglers :o

Goes to show that some people just don't quite have all the info, regardless of CLofchiks comments about me and how he feels, Bronte has not gotten better over the years, if that was the case then why are there talks about shutting down the pier due to many many complaints about rude, foul mouth people and all the cigarette butts people have to endur while talking a nice evening sroll across the boardwalk. Also I guess Mr. CLofchik hasn't been down to Petro Park lately as there were 7 guy's charge 2 weeks ago with in fact a volleyball net right across the river at the soccer field, hummmm 30 fish harvest and killed....and all for what "EGGS". Spoon chucker numbers are lower then I've seen in the past due to the fact that to many marshmellow fishermen are taking the whole pier over (from light house to the docks) last year you'd have to wait to get a spot on the pier, this year never a wait, most regulars are finding better places to fish without the arm to arm hassel ( watch out hamilton Pier 8). So in conclusion I'm pretty much done talking about this subject and am going to put my effort's into getting positive results out of Bronte instead of negative like oh some many portray it to be.

All I hear is ban this ..legislate that...etc. The world would be ok if we could legislate against idiocy, stupidity, lack of respect and effectively enforce it. We wouldn't need as much legislation then would we????

Here's the reality, there's not enough CO's to enforce wildlife laws especially salmon snagging. I would welcome the MNR hiring more CO's but I think in todays financial environment it's a longshot. The MNR is looking to do more with less money so my suggestion is to make conservation efforts cheap to implement and enforcement easy to carry out. If you ban the use of roe in the GTA, make all the rivers C&R for salmonoids in the GTA AND make anglers wear their licence on the outside of their clothing (like in some US states) you could go a long way to changing the fall slaughter of our resource. Make enforcement simple and with a high conviction percentage and you could enlist the help of local police to enforce the law. Anyone with a Salmon or trout or caught using fish eggs of any kind and you have a conviction. Possession is prima facie evidence of the crime (just like drugs). This is the kind of crime our cops understand and they are good with this sort of law and law enforcement. Make people wear their licence and you get a two fold benefit. CO's and cops can work much faster and with stealth because the only guys they need to confront are the ones that don't have a licence displayed (or they are retaining fish and/or using fish eggs for bait). Secondly there would be strong angler peer pressure directed at anglers not displaying their licence (imagine the comments for an angler turning up on crowded Metro rivers without their licence). Lastly we probably have to look at increased fishing licence fees or a Salmonoid tag program like everywhere else. Money needs to be spent to enhance (maybe to even retain ) our salmonoid fishery and the user group that participates in the fishery should be paying for it. The $20 to $30 that we pay for an annual fishing licence has got to be among the cheapest fees in Canada or the USA. It costs money guys and I for one would be prepared to pay as much as i pay for a licence plate for a fishing licence. Given some enforcement the money could be significant. Of course the vigilance would have to be shown to insure that the new money was spent on the fishery and not wasted in other ministries (this could be the hardest part of the whole thing given the current group of bandits in power).

All in all, short of anglers policing themselves, I don't see the current situation working long term. Between lake trollers and shore anglers we kill off way too many mature fish, often the trophy fish, fish that offer the good genes and overall spawning fecundity that we need to carry on even supported by the limited stocking we do here in Ontario. The end result is that our Salmonoids are not breeding through the attrition. When the head guys at CRAA say that Steelhead can maintain their numbers with up to a 15% annual attrition I have to laugh. It's not that I don't believe the number, I'll wager it is close to bang on. I laugh when I see how guys in this province catch fish, keep fish and handle fish (including the 2 or 3 guys that run the CRAA) and I realize that the attrition number will never dip anywhere near 15%. The only thing i can see that will work is to increase enforcement, conviction rate and respect for a valuable resource. All on a budget. Overall I'm not optimistic this will happen but the Ohio experiment will be worth watching. Hopefully there will be a resource to protect by the time we study what happened stateside in Ohio.

ill start of by saying that this is not meant to be instill hate or anger by anymeans (typically it means something that people may potentially disagree with is about to come, also this may be wrong)

ill start by saying that I am new to salmon fishing from shore, i respect the environment, the city of oakville, and the fish itself (i went to school for environmental toxicology so i would consider myself educated from both environmental/biological/other schemas which i will not go into). so please dont consider me as an idiot or one not understanding of issues (im against intentional snagging, beating/clubbing, garbage (especially cigarette butts but thats one of my pet peeves which i wont get into here), slitting for roe etc...ie im on 99.9999% of your side)

this comes with the question of using marshmellow/using roe....i realize that people would think this is snagging....and ill attempt to argue otherwise. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, there are snaggers in this world and some fish of course will be unintentionally snagged on any bait whether it be a lure or otherwise

-also it i will note that im not against the banning of the use of roe as bait - as it is roe that seems to drive these massive slaughters so it would make sense to cut out the prize sort of deal

everyone agrees that a) salmon are not typically feeding during the runs, and ;) they will hit lures due to agression/being pissed off response.

it is my understanding that salmon (and other fish) will eat roe during this time due to an evolutionary response. evolution is typically the survival of the fitest/you want your genetics to be past onto the next generation. roe drifting by a salmons face is essentially a competitors genetics slapping them in the face, so they take it out of the picture essentially

ive been toying with some numbers but ill do a disclaimer first - this will assume random distribution of fish throughout the watercolumn (which may or may not be correct) etc, and this is a very simplified approach to doing this so please keep that in mind

...i have no idea how large the peir is at bronte for example...but if there was a 100ft wide section by 10ft deep (i figure this depth is conservative)...in terms of area this is 1000sq feet...a roebag with a #6 hook or whatever is about 0.5sq inches = 0.00174sq ft....that roebag is 0.000174% of the area of that area of the channel

- im uncertain how big a salmons mouth is so ill say swimming wide open is 4x6" = 0.167sq feet...thats 0.016% of the area of the channel....

statistically the odds of two seperate events occuring together is the multipication of their odds together - ie rolling two 6 sided dice and getting double 6s is 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36 ...so multiplying these areas together of the roebag/fishes mouth is 0.0000029% chance theyd interact by chance...now there are obviously the fact of some fish gettin hit on the sides etc (but when you look down the profile of a fish its not much bigger than how wide it can open its mouth and this is still a large channel, also if i have the fishes mouth wrong ie too small...you could double the size of it and youll see the numbers change little)

from what i understand the purpose of the a marshmellow is to imitate roe (correct me if im wrong cause i have NO clue why one would fish with a marshmellow otherwise)...so in my opinion theres a very good chance these fish are legitimately hitting roe/marshmellows as an evolutionary response

this is my opinion, and we are all entitled to our own. and if you think im wrong id love to hear your reasonings. For all i know i may be wrong. But im not looking for an argument in the slighest

thank you for your time reading this massive message :rolleyes:

ill start of by saying that this is not meant to be instill hate or anger by anymeans (typically it means something that people may potentially disagree with is about to come, also this may be wrong)

ill start by saying that I am new to salmon fishing from shore, i respect the environment, the city of oakville, and the fish itself (i went to school for environmental toxicology so i would consider myself educated from both environmental/biological/other schemas which i will not go into). so please dont consider me as an idiot or one not understanding of issues (im against intentional snagging, beating/clubbing, garbage (especially cigarette butts but thats one of my pet peeves which i wont get into here), slitting for roe etc...ie im on 99.9999% of your side)

this comes with the question of using marshmellow/using roe....i realize that people would think this is snagging....and ill attempt to argue otherwise. DO NOT GET ME WRONG, there are snaggers in this world and some fish of course will be unintentionally snagged on any bait whether it be a lure or otherwise

-also it i will note that im not against the banning of the use of roe as bait - as it is roe that seems to drive these massive slaughters so it would make sense to cut out the prize sort of deal

everyone agrees that a) salmon are not typically feeding during the runs, and ;) they will hit lures due to agression/being pissed off response.

it is my understanding that salmon (and other fish) will eat roe during this time due to an evolutionary response. evolution is typically the survival of the fitest/you want your genetics to be past onto the next generation. roe drifting by a salmons face is essentially a competitors genetics slapping them in the face, so they take it out of the picture essentially

ive been toying with some numbers but ill do a disclaimer first - this will assume random distribution of fish throughout the watercolumn (which may or may not be correct) etc, and this is a very simplified approach to doing this so please keep that in mind

...i have no idea how large the peir is at bronte for example...but if there was a 100ft wide section by 10ft deep (i figure this depth is conservative)...in terms of area this is 1000sq feet...a roebag with a #6 hook or whatever is about 0.5sq inches = 0.00174sq ft....that roebag is 0.000174% of the area of that area of the channel

- im uncertain how big a salmons mouth is so ill say swimming wide open is 4x6" = 0.167sq feet...thats 0.016% of the area of the channel....

statistically the odds of two seperate events occuring together is the multipication of their odds together - ie rolling two 6 sided dice and getting double 6s is 1/6 x 1/6 = 1/36 ...so multiplying these areas together of the roebag/fishes mouth is 0.0000029% chance theyd interact by chance...now there are obviously the fact of some fish gettin hit on the sides etc (but when you look down the profile of a fish its not much bigger than how wide it can open its mouth and this is still a large channel, also if i have the fishes mouth wrong ie too small...you could double the size of it and youll see the numbers change little)

from what i understand the purpose of the a marshmellow is to imitate roe (correct me if im wrong cause i have NO clue why one would fish with a marshmellow otherwise)...so in my opinion theres a very good chance these fish are legitimately hitting roe/marshmellows as an evolutionary response

this is my opinion, and we are all entitled to our own. and if you think im wrong id love to hear your reasonings. For all i know i may be wrong. But im not looking for an argument in the slighest

thank you for your time reading this massive message :rolleyes:

wow something that actually makes sense for once......

The use of marshmallow imitates the styrifoam floaters in a floating roe bag not the roe itself. The idea is to get the bag/marshmallow rig off the bottom so that it suspends at the same level that the Salmon are swimming by. The salmon which typically swim near the bottom, blunder into the rig which includes the hook. Snags IE. the hook lodging somewhere other than the mouth (inside of the mouth actually) are commonplace because the salmons flesh is much softer/less slick during the spawn and it's fins offer appendages that will not only get hooked but will also hold the hook rather than ripping out like a hook in the flanks or back. There's a reason guys use bottom rigs with mallows and floating bags for salmon but seldom for Steelhead and Browns. The reason is that salmon are not feeding and are hard to catch. The snag rig thus has value to the angler because when you can't get them to bite a snag up is the next best thing especially when the whole excercise is to obtain bait eggs that work just as well when from a snagged fish as one legally caught. All the math one can come up with does not change the fact that bottom rigs snag far more fish than they catch and even the ones hooked in the mouth were not really takes. To get a legitimate take on roe or skein in a river environment like we are talking about you would need to run your bait on the surface using floaters in a bag or a float with no split shot that allows the skien to hover in the current. I have used this technique on the Saugeen in early fall and it does work but it's a hard method to employ in crowds like one finds at the Rebecca St kill zone.

The use of marshmallow imitates the styrifoam floaters in a floating roe bag not the roe itself. The idea is to get the bag/marshmallow rig off the bottom so that it suspends at the same level that the Salmon are swimming by. The salmon which typically swim near the bottom, blunder into the rig which includes the hook. Snags IE. the hook lodging somewhere other than the mouth (inside of the mouth actually) are commonplace because the salmons flesh is much softer/less slick during the spawn and it's fins offer appendages that will not only get hooked but will also hold the hook rather than ripping out like a hook in the flanks or back. There's a reason guys use bottom rigs with mallows and floating bags for salmon but seldom for Steelhead and Browns. The reason is that salmon are not feeding and are hard to catch. The snag rig thus has value to the angler because when you can't get them to bite a snag up is the next best thing especially when the whole excercise is to obtain bait eggs that work just as well when from a snagged fish as one legally caught. All the math one can come up with does not change the fact that bottom rigs snag far more fish than they catch and even the ones hooked in the mouth were not really takes. To get a legitimate take on roe or skein in a river environment like we are talking about you would need to run your bait on the surface using floaters in a bag or a float with no split shot that allows the skien to hover in the current. I have used this technique on the Saugeen in early fall and it does work but it's a hard method to employ in crowds like one finds at the Rebecca St kill zone.

Thanks for the clafication on the marshmellows, I have seen people actually fishing marshmellows on their own so i just assumed they were attempting to imitate roe. Im not trying to debate whether the salmon are feeding or not, the peice of the puzzle that i was trying to add was merely the fact that its an evolutionary response to consume roe to eliminate their competitions genetics from passing onto the next generation and therefore potentially increasing the odds their genetics will pass on.

as for the math...i agree (to a point, ill never completely bash statistics lol), numbers can just be numbers ...and odds are you dont win the lottery but people win them, just because its improbable does not make it impossible. Also with your added information that salmon tend to stick towards the bottom would change the numbers (in my previous post i had said i assumed a random distribution which may not be correct. if they stayed within the bottom 2 feet this would change the numbers obviously - not all to much though considering they are small)

*edit - i wont be able to sleep if i dont respect the statistics gods...and numbers are everything lol. what i was trying to convey was the odds of it occuring by chance using surface areas.... if it happens quite often (like i said im new to salmon fishing on the peir - so far ive never seen an ill-hooked fish yet on the peir) there could be a flaw in the #s i use etc - and in my i said this could be an issue

(on a side note Snidley - since our previous talks i have been casting spoons etc on the peir, so far with limited sucess but i wont give up.)

and your reply is what i wanted. its a thoughtful reply, and adds information.

and thank you to those who like my logic lol

the reality is there is a ton of variables that cannot be measured or accounted for, but i feel these forums are here for discussion and for all sides/points to be represented and explored

Thanks for the clafication on the marshmellows, I have seen people actually fishing marshmellows on their own so i just assumed they were attempting to imitate roe. Im not trying to debate whether the salmon are feeding or not, the peice of the puzzle that i was trying to add was merely the fact that its an evolutionary response to consume roe to eliminate their competitions genetics from passing onto the next generation and therefore potentially increasing the odds their genetics will pass on.

as for the math...i agree (to a point, ill never completely bash statistics lol), numbers can just be numbers ...and odds are you dont win the lottery but people win them, just because its improbable does not make it impossible. Also with your added information that salmon tend to stick towards the bottom would change the numbers (in my previous post i had said i assumed a random distribution which may not be correct. if they stayed within the bottom 2 feet this would change the numbers obviously - not all to much though considering they are small)

*edit - i wont be able to sleep if i dont respect the statistics gods...and numbers are everything lol. what i was trying to convey was the odds of it occuring by chance using surface areas.... if it happens quite often (like i said im new to salmon fishing on the peir - so far ive never seen an ill-hooked fish yet on the peir) there could be a flaw in the #s i use etc - and in my i said this could be an issue

(on a side note Snidley - since our previous talks i have been casting spoons etc on the peir, so far with limited sucess but i wont give up.)

and your reply is what i wanted. its a thoughtful reply, and adds information.

and thank you to those who like my logic lol

the reality is there is a ton of variables that cannot be measured or accounted for, but i feel these forums are here for discussion and for all sides/points to be represented and explored

WOW THAT WAS A LONG THREAD! Now I remeber why I stopped shore fishing for salmon in 1986. I still remeber the garbage and gutted fish down in Jordon . Hell I was only 15 then and it turned me off then .To many people abusing nature at once . Mass enforcement is needed, large fines, and anglers putting the fish and the outdoors first . Please dont make me have to fly out west to show my kid a salmon run. Enjoy your salmon boys! I'm goin north for some fall bass, no crowd ,no litter, no problems. :rolleyes: lol

It will be over soon at Rebecca St.. I was in the lower today and there are very few fish around. i only saw one trespasser and he did not last long. The slaughter will now resume upstream at the usual places with the usual suspects.

It will be over soon at Rebecca St.. I was in the lower today and there are very few fish around. i only saw one trespasser and he did not last long. The slaughter will now resume upstream at the usual places with the usual suspects.

How right you are Snidley, the slaughter fest should end very soon as guy's don't like to walk upstream to far, once pass the CN bridge it's usually pretty safe to say that the fish are in no danger. With very few places to park it's only a matter of time when Petro Park will return to normal and then that's when fishing start's for me (Rainbows and Browns).

Guest Shayno

I remember when I thought salmon "bite" marshmalllows!! lol lol

Snidely is 100% correct........Lining salmon is not sport fishing its "snagging"

My 2 cents!!

just for the record as far as Chilli responding saying that I suggested that you should do nothing...............that's not exactly what I said at all. all I was pointing out was that these people that do this are already on the wrong side of the law and you should watch yourself and how you deal with some of these people. but I never suggested that you do NOTHING. take pictures and/or video and then film them getting into their car when they are done, plus a clear shot of their licence plate. that is just as effective in a court of law as a cop being right there on the scene. I was merely suggesting that the people who are calling the cops should watch their backs, just in case, cause you never know who and/or what you are dealing with. I was merely trying to point out an option or flip side to the coin that they may not have thought about.

I think Hula Popper's forthcoming venture might be just what is needed, as long as he's got the backing of the police and the MNR. maybe it's time to lobby the politicians so that the MNR can procure voluntary/auxilliary CO's. I know I would be one of the ones volunteering my time.

How right you are Snidley, the slaughter fest should end very soon as guy's don't like to walk upstream to far, once pass the CN bridge it's usually pretty safe to say that the fish are in no danger. With very few places to park it's only a matter of time when Petro Park will return to normal and then that's when fishing start's for me (Rainbows and Browns).

the slaughter will continue cause the loogans follow the salmon but one the parking places will soon be gone cause the new carwash being built. nothing like seeing some guys ripping fish off the beds. i was going to try and get out this monday but the rain is not stopping and i think it might be a washout.

For Nik. Just so you know I never use roe, ever for any species. I fish from a Hobie kickboat which is legal in this area. I also fish in holes that are up to 12 feet deep (somewhat less when the water drops , say 9 feet deep). They are in areas that are not accesable from shore and I do not still fish, mallow fish or run any sort of stagnant bottom rig. I use lures and lures only. Hookups come as the salmon strike the lures in anger/aggression. It's fun because it's real legal and ethical angling which culminates with the fish being released as opposed to what the shore guys are up to in this area. I would even carry out some of the litter but it is actually illegal for me to come ashore or even anchor up in this area. Fortunately the city has sent someone in to pick up most of the garbage, lawn chairs etc. For Fishinguypat I was refering to the Chinnooks being gone. I would also question you associate at work's contention that he caught 8 Browns at Rebecca St. Browns are extremely wary sharp eyed fish and the water at Rebeca St is about 1 1/2 to 2 feet deep and gin clear. I suspect your associate is either flossing or snagging these fish in that spot or he is trespassing downstream were the water is deeper, but not much deeper. Bottom line if he's on shore his story is suspect. Snidley

• 4 weeks later...

Archived