Bronte Tonight

Hacknslash

Launched our 14 ft aluminum at the marina and headed upstream. Lots of jumpers in the creek. My partner and I were casting 2/5 oz cleos with a relatively fast retrieve. Went 5 for 9 on the salmon. Unfortunately one was foul hooked in the pectoral fin.(female and was released to swim another day) All the other 4 males took the cleos deep in the mouth. Yes I realize they aren't feeding at this time, but I think the agression factor takes over, and they are striking out of anger (again only my opinion). We had other males jumping beside the hooked fish while we were landing them. It was an incredible sight! 2 of the males were 28-29lbs (hard to weight them effectively while they are thrashing but were jumping between 28.1-28.8 lbs Also felt alot of head shakes while retrieving the lure, like the fish were snapping or swiping at the lure.

Just to let you know the fights were awesome! No half dead fish there. One time we had a double header, one fish trying to pull us downstream, one trying to pull upstream. It was a blast. Kept one small 13.5lb male for the smoker.

Now I am only assuming he fish are attacking the lures out of anger. Does anybody have any other ideas why they would be striking so hard while they aren't feeding?

No pics unfortunately...gonna bring the camera next time!

I agree its either anger or hormones but yet no one believes me, i was down at Bronte yesterday afternoon with my Dad and grandparents hoping to see some salmon but we were too far up stream we were in Milton i think water was only about 1' only a few trout have made it that far up.

Archived