Fall Fly Fishing

The_Husky_Jerk

Well, i finally did it. I got myself a fly rod. I have been telling myself that i would learn how to Fly Fish for a long time now. So, i went out and picked up a nice 9' combo. I would love to get out there now and learn the ropes but i dont know where to go. I was thinking Whiteman's Creek, but i dont know if there is even any trout in there. PLEASE HELP lol looking for tips on how to Fly Fish properly, as well as where to go this time of year. ;)

Well, i finally did it. I got myself a fly rod. I have been telling myself that i would learn how to Fly Fish for a long time now. So, i went out and picked up a nice 9' combo. I would love to get out there now and learn the ropes but i dont know where to go. I was thinking Whiteman's Creek, but i dont know if there is even any trout in there. PLEASE HELP lol looking for tips on how to Fly Fish properly, as well as where to go this time of year. ;)

I've been doing the fly thing for about 11 months now and I've had an amazing year. As a matter of fact fishing on the fly is the only way that I fish now unless fishing hard water this winter. I'm no pro but I have received a lot of compliments from seasoned fly anglers who are stunned with my abilities this early. So I have a few questions... or comments.

The first thing is practice...practice. Before you head out to the water start off by casting in your yard or park. I recommend starting out by stripping out 20' of fly line. Use some regular mono fora leader and tie on some yarn. The absolute key to casting is letting the back and front casts complete themselves. Watch your line and make sure that it straightens out. Believe me in saying that a place like Whiteman's is not a place to learn. It's a small creek where roll casting is paramount and the water is usually clear. Poor casts could easilly spoil the water. I fished there the opener this year after a winter of casting into snow drifts. Are there trout there? Yes...you could say that. Whiteman's does hold smallies as well. I will recommend a place out there though to practice and get some time on the water as well. Bean Park in Paris. For other places within an hour of Niagara to try is Bronte be sure to read the regs. Last November my first time out I hooked into and lost a steelie on a swung Egg Sucking Leech. Don't really worry about fishing dries for now fish wet (streamers) and nymphs (under a strike indicator).

If you need help.. I'll try my best. What weight 9' rod do you have?

Alex

I would be checking the seasons if I were you. Didn't inland trout close the end of September? If I'm out to lunch just ignore me, but CHECK THE REGS.

I just checked the regs and trout in FMZ 16 did close on September 30th, however there are some extended seasons so feel free to check out the regs and make sure you are in one of the streams with extended seasons.

FW

I would be checking the seasons if I were you. Didn't inland trout close the end of September? If I'm out to lunch just ignore me, but CHECK THE REGS.

FW

Sound advice like I gave. I'm checking the regs as we speak... from what I can tell Whiteman's is done... areas of the Grand are extended to rainbows/steel and brown. Again check the regs.

Alex

I will recommend a place out there though to practice and get some time on the water as well. Bean Park in Paris.

i know that area quite well, ill head down there with my waders on Sunday. Thanks for the tip! as for the weight of my rod, i have no idea lol i will check tonight and let ya know.

And there is flyfishing for carp which is becoming more popular. And like chilli said there is channel cats. I believe they flyfish for them on the red river in Manitoba.

You can also fly fish for gar pike and other non migratory species. Whatever you do, don't go full blown naturalist. Don't forget to stop and get some spring pannies and catfish.

I agree pannies are great on a fly. I have a new found respect for bluegills and the like. They are a blast on a light weight rod and light tippet. Yes a small fish can feel like a 8 pound bass. I'd love to get a gar and a big ole sheepie too.

Alex

I agree pannies are great on a fly. I have a new found respect for bluegills and the like. They are a blast on a light weight rod and light tippet. Yes a small fish can feel like a 8 pound bass. I'd love to get a gar and a big ole sheepie too.

Alex

@#$% sheepshead keep not biting my bait......................but for gar use those rope/yarn lures

is there a place to get gar around here?

I've heard that there are some gar around. Honestly though, I would love to get up to Quinte for some monster gar on the flats. I read an article a while in CFF magazine and holy @#$%!.

BTW...Erik I know you didn't react kindly to the thought of sheepshead and I definitely respect your opinion (then again I might've misunderstood). But would you believe that they are getting more face time amongst the fly fishing community. I used to frown on them too when I would fish with my dad and we'd think we had on a monster smallie or 'eye until we looked down and saw the ominous silver/blue flash. But they fight well. Carping and fly fishing have been big for a while. I had one on this year in Dufferin Islands that topped 25 lbs. I never stood a chance though as I was fishing 4lb tippet and using my 5 wt... bent to the handle...developed a stress fracture and is now out of action.

Alex

I checked it out, and my rod combo is 8'6", 5 Weight. Can someone explain to me what the 5 weight means? :lol:

it goes for how much line weight you can use, for instance mine is a 5/6 weight fly combo i 6 weight line on it so there for it is stronger, a 5/6 weight rod is good for fish up to 5 lbs so average size trout and bass will be perfect for it. for steelies and salmon most people use a spey rod which is a 2 handed powerful fly rod usually over 10' long but you could get a away with 8/9 weight line for carp i use 6 weight.

A little bit of clarification. Unlike regular fishing where the lure or sinker provides the mass for the cast and the line goes along for the ride, a fly is virtually weightless and the mass is in the fly line taking the fly for a ride. The first 35ft'ish of the fly line has a specific weight with the higher number being heavier. This means that a 4wt line won't have sufficient weight to flex an 8wt rod and an 8wt line could blow up a 2wt rod. Within reason the rod weight is picked for the size of fluff being chucked. An 8 - 10wt for big pike/musky bugs, a 6wt for medium size flies and 4wts for flies size12 on down. Ovviously the heavier the rod the easier it is to land a fish quickly.

Sorry for being a bit long-winded

That makes alot of sense!

Wooly covered it pretty good there. Just to add ....

8'6" 5 wt is a good all around fly rod. You'll be able to handle everything fairly well with it within reason (except for carp, muskie/pike, largemouth and migratory salmon). I had a steelhead on mine and it wasn't too much of a problem. User error lost that fish. I wouldn't get caught up in the finer points regarding line weight vs rod other that to say to keep them matched (rod, line and reel it's a balance thing). The line weight has to do with grains in the line yadda yadda and like I said not to worry about it. But you have a good all round rod there. It will handle a good sized trout np but a bass of the same size (say 5lb vs 5lb) will be another story. Think body shape of the respective fish.

Regarding spey rods. This is something that I'm starting to get into and will be purchasing in the next two weeks. They aren't necessary at all for carp and salmon. A 8 wt single hander is plenty... even for stripers which I'm pursuing next summer out east. The other reason why heavier weight rods are commended for species like largemouth bass, muskie and pike is twofold. The first reason is you're casting much larger flies (which Wooly mentioned) the second is that they are easier to cast in the wind.

Underlining and overlining is possible and it is something that I've done. For example I gone to a 6wt line on my 8 wt just to make things a little more delicate when the water is thin and clear. Generally if you were to overline going up one weight is as much as you'd want to do.

Alex

Did you practice last night?

Wooly covered it pretty good there. Just to add ....

8'6" 5 wt is a good all around fly rod. You'll be able to handle everything fairly well with it within reason (except for carp, muskie/pike, largemouth and migratory salmon). I had a steelhead on mine and it wasn't too much of a problem. User error lost that fish. I wouldn't get caught up in the finer points regarding line weight vs rod other that to say to keep them matched (rod, line and reel it's a balance thing). The line weight has to do with grains in the line yadda yadda and like I said not to worry about it. But you have a good all round rod there. It will handle a good sized trout np but a bass of the same size (say 5lb vs 5lb) will be another story. Think body shape of the respective fish.

Regarding spey rods. This is something that I'm starting to get into and will be purchasing in the next two weeks. They aren't necessary at all for carp and salmon. A 8 wt single hander is plenty... even for stripers which I'm pursuing next summer out east. The other reason why heavier weight rods are commended for species like largemouth bass, muskie and pike is twofold. The first reason is you're casting much larger flies (which Wooly mentioned) the second is that they are easier to cast in the wind.

Underlining and overlining is possible and it is something that I've done. For example I gone to a 6wt line on my 8 wt just to make things a little more delicate when the water is thin and clear. Generally if you were to overline going up one weight is as much as you'd want to do.

Alex

Did you practice last night?

Thanks, very informative

And no, i havent practiced, tied up with work. but ill go out to bean park this weekend and give it a try

What kind of flys should i be using this weekend?

Buggers in black, purple, pink,

and brown seem to work pretty good for swinging. If fishing with single hand rod you could also indicator fish with egg patterns. Indicator fishing will get you the most bites.

and brown seem to work pretty good for swinging. If fishing with single hand rod you could also indicator fish with egg patterns. Indicator fishing will get you the most bites.

Beauty fish man. How do you have your spey set-up? Are you using Skagit or Scandi lines? What kind of outfit do you have?

Alex

BTW.. I absolutely agree with the fly choices but I'd like to add Egg Sucking Leeches to the mix as well. Egg patterns under an indicator definitely work. What body of water were you fishing? Feel free to pm.

Single hand rod? indicator fishing? :)

man your making me feel dumb :o ........ lol

Please explain these to me, as i am BRAND NEW to fly fishing!

Spey fishing is the art of casting 10ft++ (usually 12.5ft-18ft++) rods with two hands. One hand on the butt section and one on the foregrip (just look up on youtube and see guys casting spey rods).

Single hand is the typical way of fly fishing like you usually see (6ft.-10ft. rods usually) with one hand on the foregrip and one holding the fly line.

There is one other style that is fairly new and that is switch rods which are basically 10.5-12.5ft rods that can be casted single or spey style. These rods are great for indicator fishing but single rods will work.

I personally use a G.Loomis GLX Native Run 11.5ft 7wt. switch rod for indicator fishing and a 13ft. 8/9 wt. G.Loomis GLX Stinger with a Airflo Compact Scandi line 8/9 540 grains for my spey.

This is a lot for a beginner but generally a floating weight foreward fly line the same weight as the rod you are using is the best set up to start with.

Idicator fishing is fishing similar to float fishing. You use a small fly float (indicator) and some spilt shot down to a nymph or egg pattern just like you would for normal float fishing.

Archived