NooB

Guest Frop

Hello all,

Obviosuly I am new here, I came across this board today while surfing Ultimate Charter Bait & Tackle's forum.

My name is Frank but my friends call me "Frop"

Iam a 23 year old male who resides in Welland,Ontario.

My favourite fish to go for is Channel Cats/Mud Cats/Catfish of all sorts.

Welcome!!!!

Nothing better to kill the summer months then float fishing for MONSTER CATS!!!! nice... I'm assuming you spend alot of time on the welland river for Cats... i've been wanting to try there for years but don't know where to go... I usually fish dunville for 'em in the summer.

a few years ago I was fishin the grand in early fall for cats... my float went under and I set up on a much bigger then average fish...it ended up being a giant cat.. the mouth was as big as a football and I couldn't venture a guess on the weight.

Guest Jeetmuck

Welcome Frop,

I love fishing channel cats as well. I originally come from Wallaceburg, ON and they have some monsters down on the St. Clair river system. Lots of fun...Have a look at the cat fish link I put on the Shootin the Breeze section.

Guest chilli

Hey I thought about you when fishing PC this morning. Your sig says west is best and she was a blowin from the west. No fish :Gonefishing: . Oh well did my best. maybe that only applies to catfish :angry:

Hey everyone,

Thanks for the welcome and glad to see there is some others that enjoy Catfish fishing.

But do you's eat them also?, lol

Anyways, yeah I mostly fish for cats in the Welland River, I have three favourite spots along the river where I have had most success.

This year though I will be focusing more on Cats in the Grand River.

I haven't really fished the Grand River much in my time.

Itys either the welland river or lake hopping up in Cottage Country , Burks Falls/Sprucedale/Magnetawean area mostly.

Up there I have a neat little aluminum boat and a canoe, but no boats down here.

And I learned my lesson fishing catfish in the Welland River from a canoe. :worthy:

Welcome Frop..... i still wonder how people dont consider cats as game fish but rather "garbage fish"....i always go up to my cottage late spring and the cats are runnin big! (sandusk creek) i dont eat em but are nieghbor alawys keeps his catch.Another thing is that there underfished..and i love tryin to get'em using grocery-store bates like hot dog wieners,corn,bread etc etc..also ive heard chicken livers work pretty good to! i think Caledonia holds a catfish derby annually.. might hafta check that out :worthy:

Welcome Frop..... i still wonder how people dont consider cats as game fish but rather "garbage fish"....i always go up to my cottage late spring and the cats are runnin big! (sandusk creek) i dont eat em but are nieghbor alawys keeps his catch.Another thing is that there underfished..and i love tryin to get'em using grocery-store bates like hot dog wieners,corn,bread etc etc..also ive heard chicken livers work pretty good to! i think Caledonia holds a catfish derby annually.. might hafta check that out  :lol:

12714[/snapback]

Thanks Kirk,

Can I ask where Sandusk Creek is? (whats it near)

and as for chciken liver, yeah it works, but its a pain in the arse to work with on a hook, I havent tried this yet but I was told to take 35mm film containers or prescription bottles and to insert a hook through a piece of chicken liver so that the tim and the tie are still exposed, then stick it in the freezer for a while and this way it will stay on your hook better.

The only way I have used chicken liver is just take the package and put it on the garage roof or where ever the sun stays out for most of the day in your yard and leave the chicken liver still packaged in the sun ALLL DAY! then go fishing at night time,

That is one of the best stink baits around for cats.

P.S. Make sure no neighbour hood cats or other animals will get at ur chicken liver while it in the sun for the day. :D

Oh, please do tell us about that one!  :worthy:

Hopefully a bunch of us "land lubbers" can "hook up" for catfishin' in Dunnville this spring.  :Gonefishing:

12729[/snapback]

As for the Canoe incident, its really nuttin big its just that I dont enjoy falling into the Welland River...lol

I was pulling in a Catfish ( fair size) and just when I went to grab it to pull it in to pull the hook out, the friggin thing tried takin off and flipped me off of the canoe.

So now i mainly "Land Lubber" :P for catfish.

Ill be at the Grand River most of the time fishing for cats this season rather then the Welland river this year, just cause I ahvent really fished the Grand too much in the past and I want to land a nice lunker this season.

How do you float fish for cats?  Cut bait under a float after dark? I never tried it, usually i fish on bottom with egg sinker.

12782[/snapback]

I dont float fish for cats.

I use clay sinkers and whatever bait iam experimenting with (bait within MNR rules)

and just for the record, I dont eat any catfish bigger than 7 inches long.

Anyways, yeah I mostly fish for cats in the Welland River, I have three favourite spots along the river where I have had most success.

I few years back I stopped at the Welland Aquaduct (river) after coming back from the Food Festival (Merrit Island) at night to watch a European guy and his son fishing for Channel Cats. The guy managed to land a monster "torpedo" shaped catfish.

He showed me his trick for catching the big ones. Quite simple really, but with one important trick. He would take a large smelt or minnow and "crush" it a bit on the concrete with his foot. He'd then rig it through the mouth or dorsal fin and cast it out under a bobber with a split shot sinker. The juices/blood from the crushing would create a scent trail in the water. He said that without "crushing" the baitfish, you wouldn't get any action.

It was kind of neat to see the audience that formed while this guy fought the fish.....since everyone was leaving the festival across the bridge. There must have been 70 or 80 people watching the 20 minute struggle....complete with applause when he landed it...and returned it to the water. :lol:

Chris.

I few years back I stopped at the Welland Aquaduct (river) after coming back from the Food Festival (Merrit Island) at night to watch a European guy and his son fishing for Channel Cats. The guy managed to land a monster "torpedo" shaped catfish.

He showed me his trick for catching the big ones. Quite simple really, but with one important trick. He would take a large smelt or minnow and "crush" it a bit on the concrete with his foot. He'd then rig it through the mouth or dorsal fin and cast it out under a bobber with a split shot sinker. The juices/blood from the crushing would create a scent trail in the water. He said that without "crushing" the baitfish, you wouldn't get any action.

It was kind of neat to see the audience that formed while this guy fought the fish.....since everyone was leaving the festival across the bridge. There must have been 70 or 80 people watching the 20 minute struggle....complete with applause when he landed it...and returned it to the water.  :Gonefishing:

Chris.

12786[/snapback]

LOL, yeah I know the guy that your talking about, he has been fishing there for years, and he uses Chubs & Shiners as bait.

Although I never knew he did the stepping on them thing.

Thats a brilliant idea. :lol:

Archived