Smelts

Guest Frop

I haven't been smelt fishing in about 6 years, and I cannot find any info it and iam sure that someone here must know.

When do the smelt start running in Queenston (or anywhere else) ??

I was pretty sure that it was around this time of year.

and can we still get down that boat launch where the Whirlpool Jet Boat Tours are ??

Guest chilli

It will be awhile seeing as there is still plenty of ice around. Each year it becomes quite a guessing game as there are generally a few factors such as water temp and spring run off. Last year I was guessing they would be early and someone said late May but I'm still to hear a report of a decent haul from last year. They were very sporatic with just a few in the net here and there. Usually after a couple of good rains. Just remember if you run into them not to take more than you're going to eat because there are fewer each year. Also someone here just mentioned about the guide to eating Ontario sport fish suggested no meals per month for smelt. Not sure if they were suggesting they were toxic and not safe to eat or perhaps they just don't have the money to list them as an endangered species :lol: ........Cutbacks!

• 2 weeks later...

Well its been almost two weeks since I started this thread and the Dunnville Grand River has smelt going through, has anyone noticed anything at Queenston in regards to running smelt?

Guest ICECAP

Guys, I've tried Queenston, Hamilton lift bridge, and Lake Simcoe in the past 3 yrs and did not see much actions. Anybody aware of other possible locations I can try?

they have been dipneting them off the BBQ bridge in Byng

14147[/snapback]

wheres the BBQ bridge in Byng. Is this at night?

Ihave a friend down from toronto might try it.

is this at night?

can you send some directions cme100@hotmail.com

this isnt the bridge going over the grand river?

Archived