Boater Operator Testing

loopy

I was just wondering how come there are different cost's for a lost or stolen replacement card depending on who you wrote the test with. I recently lost my wallet and currently i am in the process of replacing all my I.D. and found it strange when i went on line to m-tac which is the company who provided me with the test and my card 7 years or so ago ( test was done at the Toronto Sportsman show.)they want $35.00 for 1 replacement card But on another site Boaterexam.com this cost is only $19.00 . Since this Operators card is now mandatory and passed into Law by our Government and all test's given by Agents acting on there behalf why is it they feel they can set there own Prices for a replacement cards and not one standard price for all.

Just a word to the wise be careful who you write your test's with.

Regards Ken (loopy)

After a little further checking i also found that there was no government data base with any information on cardholders each examiner keeps there own data base not accessible to other test agents and can charge whatever they want. So in the end our government does nothing but collect a portion of the card fee's and does absolutely nothing. Just another CASH GRAB

It is ridiculous that you can't get a replacement from Service Ontario center's. This would be a good place to post as many agencies prices as possible so those who still don't have a card can find out who the rip off artists are.

the last TWO times i was checked by OPP (this fall, after the deadline) I showed all my safety gear.

once passed, they said thanks. I "rather harshly" asked why they didnt' ask for my boaters card. I mean, i had to purchase the stupid thing.

opp's EXACT WORDS "we have not been trained on this yet, therefore, we are not checking them."

bullcrap!

Well so far Boaterexam.com had the best replacement card prices $19.95 for one or $34.95 can get ya 3 cards but like i say if you have lost or damaged your card and need a replacement you have to go back to the agent or place you took your original exam as they are the only ones who have any record of it. Oh and by the way Boatersexam.com is raising there cost of the test as of January 4 up from $49.95 up to $59.95 + gst

The answer is simple. Because the whole thing was a mess to begin with! The issuance of the cards, the credibility of the issuers, the lack of records or central databases, the cost of courses and card replacements (if you can even get a replacement). None of this was remotely regulated to begin with, and it still isn't! Even the course and content is BS. Just because you have a PCOC does not mean you are qualified to operate a boat as far as I'm concerned. Why was it not regulated? Because it was a cash grab for the goevernment as well as a PR stunt to make it look like boating safety was being addressed. I asure you that since this program has been started, most boaters are no safer today than they were before!

End rant.

i walked up to one of those no-money-down booths at the fishing show years ago and wrote the test - no study, no power boating experience, just canoes/kayaks and common sense - and i passed with flying colours. when the guy congratulated me i asked him if he didn't find it just a little bit disconcerting that someone like me would ace the test and therefore qualify to operate any power boat i chose without any prep. he agreed it was a little unsettling.

long story short - another government bungling like the long-gun registry that didn't have to be such a mess and should have been able to be useful to the public BUT it was handled by an unknowledgeable and unmotivated beaurocracy. your tax dollars at work.

p.s. i do not own, nor do i operate, motorized boats as i have no safe working knowledge of such craft yet. but i have a card!

Hahahaha I took my test at canal days in Port Colborne. I was offered the handbook for a quick once-over, but declined the offer. I just wrote the test, 3 quarters in the bag, never set foot in a boat before. I was told 4 wrong was a pass, I got 2 wrong. What a farce ...

On a side note, I know a guy that will charge you 75 bucks, and take the test online for you, so you can get your operators card with no effort at all ...

Archived