Interesting take on the ice boom

Tom Chopin

Interesting read on one amateur scientists take on the ice boom in Fort Erie.

http://bantheboom.com/

I can see his point but he doesn't take into account the blocked power intakes, destroyed water front properties/docks, and the flooding that could occur.....

The broken boom last year caused quite a few problems.

Interesting read on one amateur scientists take on the ice boom in Fort Erie.

http://bantheboom.com/

I can see his point but he doesn't take into account the blocked power intakes, destroyed water front properties/docks, and the flooding that could occur.....

The broken boom last year caused quite a few problems.

Interesting theory's. i've read a few ideas on whats happened to the diporeia.

I don't see what the issue is?? The lake still froze before the days of the ice boom, it just didn't tighten up as much down closer to the river. That article seems to be based alot more on opinion than research.

Great read! Thanks Tom. Food for thought. I'm sure it has great merit.

Well I read everything including the news archives. It sounds like Joe needs a little lesson in respect. His overly emotional plea or "demands" will get him ignored by the people who he needs in his court to make changes. Joe goes on an almighty rant at the bottom of one of his news clipping in the comments area. Another writer provides great insight that conflicts with Barret's theory.

I wish him luck if he's correct though. I myself do go to the river every year just to watch the ice flows. It is quite a spectacle :(

I read it and I think the guy is wrong. He makes the assumption that water is static under the ice and he compares Lake Erie to a farm pond. There is a very large volume of water moving under the ice. His mechanism for ice formation does not seem right to me. Water is at it's highest density at 4 degrees C. As it gets colder than this it rises not sinks. Also he does not take into account the latent heat of crystalization. This prevents ice crystals from forming unless there is something to take the heat away, like cold air at the surface or more ice. There is also white ice. This is formed when the weight of snow forces the ice down and water fills in on top of the ice. This ice cannot take part in the process he writes about. Pictures of sections of ice that I have seen show long columnar crystals ( the black ice) topped off with granular crystals of white ice. If little grains of ice crystals floated up from underneath as he claims the structure would be different. I am sure there is particulate matter trapped in the ice and it is moved by the ice but I don't think it is a very great amount. The ice would look like frozen chocolate pudding if he was right. And one more thing as liquids solidify they tend to push impurities out of their crystals not gather them. You can purify substances by freezing and melting them repeatedly.

Well the ice with the boom definitely scours the bottom of the shallows. Would this all wash out if the ice flowed all winter? I can't see it being beneficial for fish as I find plenty of dead bass and pike come melt down but I can see his points. I think the constant pounding of waves by huge pleasure boats causes more shore erosion than ice flows. I never noticed the traffic until I was reduced to a kayak only.

Some of this ice looks dirty and some looks clean enough to melt and drink.

btn.gifbtn_viewallimages.gif

Boom or no Boom, the ice still forms. Yes, they let it melt before the boom is pulled, but one good SW wind, which Lake Erie always gets..........and everything he talks about goes right out the window. Anything that forms or collects under that ice goes down river on the first big SW wind blow.

With lake erie being just as productive, if not more than it used to be, what's the issue?

Archived