Get out and explore

spottedGARRR

I know for some this idea isn't feasible, family life and personal responsibilities, limitations, or commitments keep alot of us from getting outdoors as much as we'd like to, for some there's only time to get out to those spots we already know, and are often packed when conditions are prime. Often when i trip out to my favorite location, and low and behold it's not so secret! this is when i usually decide it's time to find new holes to wet my line. In this thread i'd like to discuss those places we often drive by and wonder, "what's back there, wonder who owns it?" but in a heart beat there would be numerous thread replies about keeping secret locations secret and avoiding public pressure, i'm not trying to swindle anyones honey hole info out of them, this is a public forum and anyone who truly cares about sensitive areas, knows better than to post driving directions or long and lat co-ordinates of places which cannot handle the pressure of the general public. That being said, we live in a very unique and diverse region of Ontario. We have plenty of open, public access, and plenty of out of sight, easy to access water with fishing opportunities for several species, resident and migrating fish. There are plenty members of this forum whom posses immense amounts of knowledge pertaining to the techniques, and time of year/season/day, or best conditions for specific species targeting. These guys obtained this knowledge by putting in time and executing theory. I respect that. Throughout the upcoming season i would like to target every species in every body of water in the region, using every technique known to man (and unknown!). So here we are, i'm personally inviting any member of this forum to join me in exploring all of the places that i am forever day dreaming of and, discovering what species may be lurking around undercut banks and fallen trees, and to the seasoned and experienced Anglers, if you would like to spend a day passing on some wisdom or just looking for some company in your favorite stream, i'm all about learning.

My name is Scott, and i'm a fish-a-holic.

155421_G.jpg

awesome.jpg

Awesome thread idea. The only thing that sucks about exploring is your gear. I know where the first picture is but not too sure on the second one I have an idea and if its the same spot I've had decent luck with Pike their come mid fall. I would love to go out and explore more.

Awesome thread idea. The only thing that sucks about exploring is your gear. I know where the first picture is but not too sure on the second one I have an idea and if its the same spot I've had decent luck with Pike their come mid fall. I would love to go out and explore more.

You know where the first spot is? likely you've seen it from the road? i don't think many men that are still alive have been to those banks in the last few decades, or maybe i'm wrong. But the climb down there is treacherous! And the second spot is near the southern end of Lake Gibson. Many trails in and out of there, watch out for ATVS!

I know for some this idea isn't feasible, family life and personal responsibilities, limitations, or commitments keep alot of us from getting outdoors as much as we'd like to, for some there's only time to get out to those spots we already know, and are often packed when conditions are prime. Often when i trip out to my favorite location, and low and behold it's not so secret! this is when i usually decide it's time to find new holes to wet my line. In this thread i'd like to discuss those places we often drive by and wonder, "what's back there, wonder who owns it?" but in a heart beat there would be numerous thread replies about keeping secret locations secret and avoiding public pressure, i'm not trying to swindle anyones honey hole info out of them, this is a public forum and anyone who truly cares about sensitive areas, knows better than to post driving directions or long and lat co-ordinates of places which cannot handle the pressure of the general public. That being said, we live in a very unique and diverse region of Ontario. We have plenty of open, public access, and plenty of out of sight, easy to access water with fishing opportunities for several species, resident and migrating fish. There are plenty members of this forum whom posses immense amounts of knowledge pertaining to the techniques, and time of year/season/day, or best conditions for specific species targeting. These guys obtained this knowledge by putting in time and executing theory. I respect that. Throughout the upcoming season i would like to target every species in every body of water in the region, using every technique known to man (and unknown!). So here we are, i'm personally inviting any member of this forum to join me in exploring all of the places that i am forever day dreaming of and, discovering what species may be lurking around undercut banks and fallen trees, and to the seasoned and experienced Anglers, if you would like to spend a day passing on some wisdom or just looking for some company in your favorite stream, i'm all about learning.

My name is Scott, and i'm a fish-a-holic.

155421_G.jpg

awesome.jpg

This spot looks very familiar to me.I grew up on the back side of MarlattsRd. and had acsess to the water via boat my entire life. Still to this day my boat can be seen cruising the waters and fishing can be great at times.I have personaly seen almost every species of fish niagara has to offer.Bass,L&S,Pan fish,including some rare like green sun fish,Pike&muskie of trophy size,very large course fish,very large channel cats,Rianbow trout in great numbers spring&fall,a half dead lake trout floating down the current from the allanburg wier about 10 years ago in early spring when water was warming up,figured it came from the canal during winter months,and have one walley under my belt amongst numerous of known landed fish&dead fish found on the shore in late spring.I know the water system like the back of my hand from good places to fish and bad places to travel in a boat.Years ago ,my parents neighbour used to hold a carp derby at the allanburg wier,unfortunatly high security put a end to it.I have a wealth of knowledge of this body of water and would be happy to answer any questions you may have,or do my best to. Mike

Scott:

Nice thread!

I'm not going to boast knowing where the two pictures are. To be honest i thought the second was of the Chippawa/Welland River upstream of Stanley. Hmmm.

Honestly, I think exploring is half of the battle. Sometimes in life you have to just to yourself "what the hell, I'm gonna do it". I've told you the only reason why I now fish the Niagara and I'll mention this to the rest. I was afraid....plain and simple. You know, I always wondered to myself. What's down there.... what could I be lucky enough to catch down there. So finally, I made the trek down there and it has paid off. But for me the Niagara isn't the only place where this has happened to me. I blame the fly rod. The fly rod has taken me to many places that I wouldn't have thought to go to otherwise. I have a sig that I use on another forum and it holds very true....

"The one thing that this sport has taught me is this... any piece of water in any given water could hold the fish that you're seeking no matter how odd it might look." - Me

All year last year I fished water that I never knew existed and fished blind the entire year. Okay about 90% of it. I found streams that gave me native browns, brookies and rainbows. Literally, I had a round of golf the weekend of the opener cancelled by a tornado. The fly rod and waders were of course in the back I crossed a tiny stream. I made a left and found a beauty run. Private Property. The elderly chap was in his front yard and asked me "Do you like the stream?" and I responded with "I sure do, I'm a newcomer to fly fishing." e got talking and he offered his driveway to me. This isn't the only time this year. These moments struck me all over in places like Fergus, Elora, Algonquin Park and other places where quite frankly, I don't know where they were.

Getting out and pulling a "Nike" (Just Do It!) is the way to go. You're right for some it's not feasible. Personally, I have to pick and choose my times based on how I'm feeling from a health standpoint. I've never been a fan of either spoonfeeding or being spoonfed.

Exploring.... "Just Do It"

Alex

Guest Ultyma316
Scott:

Nice thread!

I'm not going to boast knowing where the two pictures are. To be honest i thought the second was of the Chippawa/Welland River upstream of Stanley. Hmmm.

Honestly, I think exploring is half of the battle. Sometimes in life you have to just to yourself "what the hell, I'm gonna do it". I've told you the only reason why I now fish the Niagara and I'll mention this to the rest. I was afraid....plain and simple. You know, I always wondered to myself. What's down there.... what could I be lucky enough to catch down there. So finally, I made the trek down there and it has paid off. But for me the Niagara isn't the only place where this has happened to me. I blame the fly rod. The fly rod has taken me to many places that I wouldn't have thought to go to otherwise. I have a sig that I use on another forum and it holds very true....

"The one thing that this sport has taught me is this... any piece of water in any given water could hold the fish that you're seeking no matter how odd it might look." - Me

All year last year I fished water that I never knew existed and fished blind the entire year. Okay about 90% of it. I found streams that gave me native browns, brookies and rainbows. Literally, I had a round of golf the weekend of the opener cancelled by a tornado. The fly rod and waders were of course in the back I crossed a tiny stream. I made a left and found a beauty run. Private Property. The elderly chap was in his front yard and asked me "Do you like the stream?" and I responded with "I sure do, I'm a newcomer to fly fishing." e got talking and he offered his driveway to me. This isn't the only time this year. These moments struck me all over in places like Fergus, Elora, Algonquin Park and other places where quite frankly, I don't know where they were.

Getting out and pulling a "Nike" (Just Do It!) is the way to go. You're right for some it's not feasible. Personally, I have to pick and choose my times based on how I'm feeling from a health standpoint. I've never been a fan of either spoonfeeding or being spoonfed.

Exploring.... "Just Do It"

Alex

Well said!.

I can't wait till ice out so I can start exploring all the little tiny creeks around me :P

That is, if I can pry myself away from the mighty Niagara. It is so beautiful down there with the snow. Its worth the drive from Brantford to experience that.

Well said!.

I can't wait till ice out so I can start exploring all the little tiny creeks around me :)

That is, if I can pry myself away from the mighty Niagara. It is so beautiful down there with the snow. Its worth the drive from Brantford to experience that.

Ulltyma:

You do have an absolutelplethora of creeks in your area that are definitely worth exploring. I'm not talking the usual haunts either. It'll be tough to pry yourself away from the Niagara but you shall soon see. I agree the Niagara is tough to beat when you take into account that it holds all of those great fish, success, the phenomenal scenery and the face that when you're down there you soon relaize "damn, the Falls were once here". I'm looking forward to ice out to get me back on the smaller streams that you talk about all over Southern Ontario. I'll be hitting some Crown Land this spring.

BTW... I took the alternate route the last time down (the other day). It turned out to be a horrendous decision. The climb up the rocks wasn't bad but the walk up the service road brought on some issues. I haven't fished since. Piss me off!

I've done some tying however at least.

Alex

Guest Ultyma316
Ulltyma:

You do have an absolutelplethora of creeks in your area that are definitely worth exploring. I'm not talking the usual haunts either. It'll be tough to pry yourself away from the Niagara but you shall soon see. I agree the Niagara is tough to beat when you take into account that it holds all of those great fish, success, the phenomenal scenery and the face that when you're down there you soon relaize "damn, the Falls were once here". I'm looking forward to ice out to get me back on the smaller streams that you talk about all over Southern Ontario. I'll be hitting some Crown Land this spring.

BTW... I took the alternate route the last time down (the other day). It turned out to be a horrendous decision. The climb up the rocks wasn't bad but the walk up the service road brought on some issues. I haven't fished since. Piss me off!

I've done some tying however at least.

Alex

Damn man. Sorry to hear that :)

The road walk can be alot to handle after a long days fishing down there. Doing it 2 days in a row almost killed me. Had to call in sick on Monday lol.

i've done it a few times. i'd rather walk the path through the glen anyday. it's a much nicer, peaceful walk at any time of the day. and if you're walking down "the shortcut" when the weathers dry and a big truck comes by hold your breath. DUST STORM!@# i've also heard rumour of trespassing fines given to guys with gear in hand...

Guest Ultyma316
i've done it a few times. i'd rather walk the path through the glen anyday. it's a much nicer, peaceful walk at any time of the day. and if you're walking down "the shortcut" when the weathers dry and a big truck comes by hold your breath. DUST STORM!@# i've also heard rumour of trespassing fines given to guys with gear in hand...

Shayne says they were stopped once and told to leave, and another time they hitched a ride with a UPS guy on the way up. lol.

Maybe I missed the no trespassing signs but I didn't see any. Guess I'll check tomorrow! lol.

The signs are there. I saw them after I was stopped and asked what I was doing thee. I was sitting trying to get my breath. The guard offered me a ride back up but I declined. He said that we (pedestrians/anglers) aren't supposed to be there. I saw another sign stating no fishing past powerhouse fence or something to that effect.

Alex

With all the positive posts to get out and explore the areas I thought I'd post one of my resource links to help newer people get started. I DO suggest you watch the tutorial a couple of times till you get used to it. :PB)

http://mapper.angling-technologies.com/atom/pmap.php

Rick and the mods if there is a conflict or problem with this please feel free to delete it. Just trying to help some people out B)

I have found a staggering amount of insane fishing water canoeing through Crown Land with nothing more than a compass & topo map and a vague idea of what may be there.

Now locally...I've been skunked everytime I've ever decided to "explore". Honorable mentions include: Burned three tanks of gas trying to find elusive secret Erie trib steelhead, said screw it and ended the day with a 3lb'er at Caledonia, Catching chub out of a drainage ditch and having a group of unimpressed kids heckle me on a brookie hunting trip, trying to find a secluded carp spot I fished for four hours without a bite before I clued in the stretch of water I was in was impounded without access to anywhere else and as far as I could tell was essentially fishless.

There's a reason known spots are known! :D

Archived