Heading to Erie

alexthegrrr8

A hockey team from Welland that I coached is playing down in Fort Erie today. So I'm figuring on packing up my equipment and after my nephew's game is done and accidentally try a few drifts/casts depending on the weather... in particular the agua. I'll post any relevant info.

Alex

I'll let you guys know. I'm not holding my breath but I have to go have a see since I'll be there anyways. Definitely going to try a few of my new ties. Either way, you'll guys know.

Alex

LOL.. I have no reason why I tried to refer to water in Spanish. One of those moments. I blame it on my wife.

Alex

I try to blame my wife for everything!! But she corrects me and tells me its always my fault

Nobody tells you that once you are married , you will never be right about another thing for the rest of your life :dunno:

LOL.. after after nearly 12 years of marriage I'm just starting to realize that my wife makes a great scapegoat. LOL.. i was so late for my prom... that I never went. Anyways, I did go through on my word as I always try to do. I went to the game, talked to a few people and then headed to the river. It was an educational drive. Here are a few things that I learned. Some of it is mundane.

1. The river had real decent clarity for my fishing purposes. Unfortunately, my wife who came with me wasn't quite dressed for the elements. I was going to throw the waders on but there was too much ice where I was going to cast for the first location.

101_2215.jpg

101_2216.jpg

The only thing that held me up was the ice pictured. also the strong westerly winds might continue to break up the ice.

2. Basically, for the most part the shoreline of the Upper was littered with shore ice. Pictured below is a small example.

101_2217.jpg

101_2218.jpg

3. We know that the river is diverse. Some spots like below the PB had nice visibility which made it fishable. Even down by the train bridge was good. But as I approached BC the water went from a nice green/clear colour to the grey/green to grey/brown. Some sections were totally fishable (minus the ice on shore) where others flat out weren't. Of course the bottom likely plays a role here.

4. Even though it's posted (I learned that here much to my dismay) the pedestrian gate at the marina was wide open. Whether it has been unlocked by marina management or some other party is unknown. It is full of ice. I would love to fish the drift at the end of the wall in there with some streamers.

5. For the most part there wasn't a lot of ice in the middle of the river. That is until you get to above Chippawa. The ice there is insane, most of it coming from the other side of the island. This will be spilling over the Falls for some time. I never did check the Aero Car area out to see what the Lower was doing.

Tomorrow will only be -3 so I will be dressing up and sliding into my waders during the day and fishing somewhere on the Upper. As long as the ice doesn't get worse through the night or day.

Alex

Archived