Bringing my kids icefishing

FishyWishy

OK here goes,

I want to take my 2 little girls (4 1/2 and 6 1/2) icefishing and have come up with the following options. Can anyone, with experience taking kids, help me decide? or are there other places to consider?

1. Martindale Pond

Pros: Close to home, short walk out, Tim's just of the ice for a warm snack pee breaks etc.

Cons: No hut - How thick is the ice? How is the bite? I'm not sure I'm comfortable eating fish from there (please don't flame me on this)

2. Valens CA

Pros: Skating rink if kids are bored of fishing, bite for pannies is supposed to be good.

Cons: No huts, C&R only, 1 hr + drive.

3. Binbrook CA

Pros: Rental hut (but not sure if they will charge me $20 for each kid or just me and my wife?), Keep a few for a fry.

Cons: 1 hr+ drive

Any advice or comments?

Thanks,

FW

Guest UglyFish

ive been to valens twice this year and had good days both times. the derby they had there on saturday had well over 1000 fish caught. binbrook can be harder to fish if u dont know it or have a flasher. valens has a lot of pan fish to catch, but like u said, its C&R only.

Where is that?

Ramey's Bend is a small offshoot of the Welland canal at Port Colborne. They used to or still cut up old boats for scrap there. Go to the east side of the canal just north of Port Colborne, should be able to find it.

ive been to valens twice this year and had good days both times. the derby they had there on saturday had well over 1000 fish caught. binbrook can be harder to fish if u dont know it or have a flasher. valens has a lot of pan fish to catch, but like u said, its C&R only.

im some happy there doin C&R, shades mills would be good too if u dont mind the drive is all

Ramey's Bend is a small offshoot of the Welland canal at Port Colborne. They used to or still cut up old boats for scrap there. Go to the east side of the canal just north of Port Colborne, should be able to find it.

Dave gave you some good directions. Just to add....

If travelling from St. Catharines take the 406 to the end, make a left go through tunnel, and veer right onto the 140. Travel down the 140 to the first light (there will be a quarry on the left and maybe a parked bus or two). Make a right at these lights and proceed to a stop sign. Make a right here and just down on your left is Smeltsville. There is a Timmy's at the intersection of Hwy 3 and the 140... minutes away.

Either way, have a blast with the girls.

Alex

Martindale for the record has been decent in my two times there this year. Man, I need to get back on the ice for a day or two. Hmmmmm... sounds like a recipe for a double dip. (sorry I was thinking outloud again)

Archived