Lake Erie

Guest Brian Laketrout Cuthbertson

B)

Buddy the dog woke me for an early dewatering. I checked the forecast for lake Erie,Dunkirk/Barclona area. Out the door and at Crystal Beach @06:30.

thanks to Denis at http://www.fishinniagara.com/ who gave me a heads up on where to head to.

70miles return trip down the American shore line.

Dunkirk

Dunkirk0920.jpg

The forecast on the VHF started out being a SE 8 kt wind. Will she was alittle stronger then that,in fact I hit one wave and my stern light with flag flew out and overboard. I new that was going to happen sooner or later.

All day they were calling for winds out of the SE and it was blowing out of the NE most of the day.

I did manage one 7lb Steelhead,I was in 130FOW,main line down 100' cheater that caught the SH down 77'

Managed to get myself a hand full of zebra mussels also.

Steelhead0920.jpg

It was a nice trip back though. Arrived home @ 07:30

LErie0920.jpg

Thank Denis

No laker takers huh... :huh: Did you mark lots of fish out there? I went shore fishing yesterday and drove as far as barcelona noticed a couple boats trolling the shoreline out there but people I talked to said it was still slow. I noticed a big mudline out from the catt probally a good spot to try B)

B) Lakers,nope only hit I got was the SH on the Mepps spinner. That mud line runs from Dunkirk down to and out off of Barcolna. There was alot of fish in that mud line,tried trolling in and out of it.

I darn near forgot about the PA border waters,that would have been nice getting pinched for fishing in PA with no lic.

Got a Email from a fellow last night about fishing there.

"We got pounded by rain on

Friday, so the Catt was high and muddy, making it not too good for the

most part. It is still running at 900cfs this morning in Gowanda, which

is high. It should be good by the end of the week, but probably not

much sooner. Good news is that is should bring some fish in!

Other creeks have some fish in, but not great numbers yet. 18 Mile,

Canadaway, and Chautauqua have all seen action, all in the lower

sections and at the mouths.

Thats about it - wish it was better for you. Should be getting better

really soon as the nights are cooling things down and plenty of water in

the creeks."

Denis I have expected to see the SS Minnow out there?

It's amazing how I pro. set the hook on that SH. I was fixing up another cheater line when I heard my reel scream for a second,looked and a fish jumped,I looked at the rod and it was poped and bouncing,I grabed it ,set the hook and nothing, the fish jumped again and I reeled and then set the hook again,still nothing,I reeled and reeled then I felt the weight and set the hook again,this time I felt him,he was not a happy fish. I netted him and he went nuts,spitting the hook out,but too late he was in the net :huh:

Land ahead I think

2 1/2 mb vid

Hey Brian, I guess I got your message a little late. Long ways eh? Beautiful Steelhead.

Got a delivery today and guess what? More new fishing stuff. I think I'm going to save it for next year"s Salmon trolling.

Oh ya, just a heads up in case you didn't know, the NY licences expire the last day

of Sept. They don't go buy the calander year like ours. TTYL

Good fishin, Steve

Got a delivery today and guess what? More new fishing stuff. I think I'm going to save it for next year"s Salmon trolling.

Oh ya, just a heads up in case you didn't know, the NY licences expire the last day

of Sept. They don't go buy the calander year like ours. TTYL

Good fishin, Steve

885[/snapback]

Yes I got your message when I got home that night. I'm now in the market for a new stern light,thank god I had 5 flags made

Mine arrived yesterday. :P

It's the last day of sept,or the last day of Oct??

Guest nippaditty

Hey Brian

I was out that same day out of Dunkirk. The wind was blowing from the SE ( off shore ) in the morning,, then it swung around to the SW. then it was calm for about 15 to 20 minutes,, then it started out of the NE like you mentioned. We got two small Steelhead ( 3 to 4 pounds ) and a huge sheephead.

over 121 fow. Then it blew so hard we headed in and fished in 80 to 70 feet of water. Nothing. We gave up the ghost and headed for my smallmouth spots and we nailed them. All fish were caught on spinner baits and crank baits. A Real change from catching them on tubes or grubs like we do normally. :P

:P

Buddy the dog woke me for an early dewatering. I checked the forecast for lake Erie,Dunkirk/Barclona area. Out the door and at Crystal Beach @06:30.

thanks to Denis at  http://www.fishinniagara.com/ who gave me a heads up on where to head to.

70miles return trip down the American shore line.

Dunkirk

Dunkirk0920.jpg

The forecast on the VHF  started out being a SE 8 kt wind. Will she was alittle stronger then that,in fact I hit one wave and my stern light with flag flew out and overboard. I new that was going to happen sooner or later.

All day they were calling for winds out of the SE and it was blowing out of the NE most of the day.

I did manage one 7lb Steelhead,I was in 130FOW,main line down 100' cheater that caught the SH down 77'

Managed to get myself a hand full of zebra mussels also.

Steelhead0920.jpg

It was a nice trip back though. Arrived home @ 07:30

LErie0920.jpg

Thank Denis

826[/snapback]

Archived