hungry steelhead

bobert

Hooked up with a 4 or 5 pound steelhead in the lower a few weeks ago. Great fight, finally had him in position to land when I noticed he had a big ol lamp ray scare on his side. Went to grab him and my line broke, as I watched him slowly swim away with my hook in the side of his mouth. Retied and on my very next cast, fish on! Not fighting at all. Land him in about 45 seconds and realize its the same fish! Complete with lamp ray scare and lip ring. Remove both hooks and let him go. Now thats one hungry steelhead. Anybody have a strange catch they would like to share? Slip.

Guest Ultyma316

I think I caught that same fish! lol..

Actually,

I'm going to start putting hooks on my slip floats. I've had browns come up and strike them numerous times.

Years ago (long before I started fly fishing), I had a gull swoop down and grab my bobber. The damn bird flew off with the thing. I opened the bail and let it go a ways, then re-set the bail and gave a tug, at which time he dropped it 200 yards out. I could never get a cast to go that far!

Years ago (long before I started fly fishing), I had a gull swoop down and grab my bobber. The damn bird flew off with the thing. I opened the bail and let it go a ways, then re-set the bail and gave a tug, at which time he dropped it 200 yards out. I could never get a cast to go that far!

:lol:

Funny you mention that i had a similar thing happen to me casting a big bronze spoon out into the lake and had a sea gull pick it up outta mid air, luckily it grabbed the spoon and not the treble same thing gave a light tug and it fell into the water for a nice long retrieve sadly no browns on it :lol:

another occurrence was at conestogo lake we were fishing small minnows under a float and i hooked into a perch which was a decent 12 inches and as i was reeling in a trophy pike came up and swiped at it but thats all it did and pulled in the perch missing its back end.

Archived