Finally took my girls out icefishing

FishyWishy

Well, I finally got through the wife and my own procrastination and got my 2 daughters out icefishing.

I took them to Martindale pond yesterday afternoon to try our hand at some perch.

As we were unloading a nice couple (non-NFNers) were telling me they had just come off and had no luck but there were plenty of open holes from the tournament on Saturday, and it was very wet and slushy. I thought right away, BONUS, the girls won't have to wait for me to drill holes with my 8" Mora.

With the slush I decided to let the girls sit in the sleigh and I would carry the equipment. Well I walk up to where some holes were from the day before and as soon as my 4 year old steps off the sleigh...right into a hole...right up to thigh! Oh my. I swing into recovery mode, pull out her leg (reached down to make sure she didn't lose her boot. Set up a chair for her to sit on chaged her socks, plastic bagged her foot, and got her snacks. She went from happy-go-lucky to miserable on 4.6 seconds.

I got the girls set up with their rods, slip bobbers and small hooks with wax worms. Then set up my rod in a stand. Ohhh, time for more snacks for both girls. Drilled a hole for a tip-up....took what seemed forever. I haven't drilled a hole in a long time and my blades looked in excellent shape but it took a long time for one hole...Not sure if the problem was me or the auger. Set up my tip-up. then ....oh no....6yr old is tangled all up. Fix that and get her set back up. Oh no now the 4yr old is tangled and done her snack, starts whining, Get her untangled, and I sit down to jig for a few minutes, and start talking to them.

Another fellow (in a red toque and a hood) and young boy were out before we got there and passed us as they were leaving the ice, said they had caught a few perch.

A few minutes later both girls are tangled up again. The 4 yr old (who is never the first to quit) is too cold and uncomfortable and is whining more, want to go home. My 6 yr old is having fun and is not ready to go, and neither do I, but I convince her we have to take care of her sister. I untangle their lines so we can pack it up, real up my lines, fold up the chairs, and off we go back to the van, kids on the sleigh, me pulling while carrying the equipment. Total time on the ice was about 1 hour.

When we got to the van both girls boots, and socks were water-logged. So they took off their boots and socks (and plastic bag) and I gave them my warm dry socks off my feet (2 pairs) and wore none home. More snacks for the road, and a stop at Timmies for Hot Chocolate and donuts on the way home. and we made it home jsut in time for the start of the 3rd period of the gold game.

My 6 year old wants to go again, I'm not so sure about her sister though. Maybe next weekend we will go out, if not at least I know there are possibilities for next winter.

FW

sounds like you guys had fun, slushy though didnt get wet though the fish are there just gotta find em might try tomorrow for some pike and perch

Goodluck on your next trip out. Sounds like that one was a learning experience for all of you! lol

If your youngest doesn't wanna go next time, see if her and Mom wanna do something together while you and your oldest go icefishing. It will probably be easier fussing around one girl instead of two.

Just try and avoid the 'soakers.' That's enough to ruin anyone's day of icefishing.

Cheers!

Goodluck on your next trip out. Sounds like that one was a learning experience for all of you! lol

If your youngest doesn't wanna go next time, see if her and Mom wanna do something together while you and your oldest go icefishing. It will probably be easier fussing around one girl instead of two.

Just try and avoid the 'soakers.' That's enough to ruin anyone's day of icefishing.

Cheers!

There is nothing better than getting out with the kids for a few hours of fishing.

I have two girls now 14 & 16 and everytime I get ready to go out they always ask can they tag along.

What a feeling knowing that your kids have a similar interest as you.

They are the future of the sport.

Now I know how my Dad feels.

There is nothing better than getting out with the kids for a few hours of fishing.

I have two girls now 14 & 16 and everytime I get ready to go out they always ask can they tag along.

What a feeling knowing that your kids have a similar interest as you.

They are the future of the sport.

Now I know how my Dad feels.

If there was a thumbs up winky here I'd have given that to you. LOL

My daughters at this age I think just like spending the time with us. They like gardening with me, fishing with me and just generally doing what I'm doing...Same as scrap-booking with my wife and whatever girl-stuff she does. We spend a lot of time doing stuff together. Sometimes all four of us sometimes (rarely) we spend time one-on-one with the kids where we each do our thing with one kid. Sometimes we just all sit together and watch one of the many kids movies we have (Yes Dora and Barbie included), and a few times we have all played WiiFit together.

In fact the kids get upset and don't quite understand when we want to do our thing without them sometimes. They do well when they know things ahead of time but if I just got an idea to get up and go fishing alone...you can see the disappointment in their eyes.

The best thing that has happened lately is that my oldest (6 year old) has started reading her "chapter books" to her little sister. It is cute to see them get up in the morning and cuddle together on the couch reading together. Again thumbs up winky.

In the fall I might consider taking them (or at least the older one) grouse hunting if I get up north...We'll see.

FW

Archived