Bought new Shimano Citica

Lakeshore

Went to bass pro a few days ago, picked up a new Citica E. I did not have too much time to hang out there, so I grabbed the reel and left. Any advice on a matching rod to go with it. The sales associated mentioned i should be looking at something about 6'6", or 7' medium to medium heavy, 12-14 lb test??

I am new to the whole baitcasting thing, so any advice I can get would be greatly appreciated. You will probaby see me at lake gibson sooner or later practicing.

Mario

I have never used a baitcasting reel before. I am looking this summer to just use it whenever the opportunity arises. Probably to throw body baits, do some pitching, casting spoons, plastics, ever troll with it. I need a multipurpose rod, something that will offer a bit up for every situation.

I would look at a Quantum Tour Edition PT, Great rod for the money, incredible warranty as well. I took this from the WEB. Quantumfishing.com PTC705F Casting 7'0" Medium Mod-Fast 8 - 17 lb. Great all around beginner stick in my opinion.

JIM

Hi. I have been using a baitcaster for 20yrs so here are a couple pointers that will get you started.

1) forget throwing plastic until you really get the hang of using it or you will be throwing it away.

2) use braided line if you birds nest it you can get it out fairly easy unlike mono which you would end up cutting out.

3) IMPORTANT!!! there is an adjustment on the side that controls how fast the spool will turn. find it!! then hold the rod straight out in front of you, with what ever your going to be throwing tied on, hit the spool release the spool should NOT hit the ground and keep spinning it should just hit the ground and slowly stop with out it birds nesting. use this set up until you become comfortable with using the reel.

I am going to be going to Petes tackle maybe this week, I'll bring the reel, have them spool it up. I will probably also get them to recommend a good baitcasting rod. As far as the adjustment goes. The sales associate at BPS showed me how to ajust those little plastic tabs in the reel body and recommended that I keep them adjusted out as he showed me until I really get the hang of it.

Now I just need to get everything set up and get out practice.

On a side note, I have never been out catfishing, is there any particular places to visit? I live quite near Lake Gibson.

Archived